New Ghostbusters Action Figures ALREADY on Clearance at Target

All things Action Figure related. From discussion to prototypes!
Joresky

New Ghostbusters Action Figures ALREADY on Clearance at Target

Post by Joresky »

After bad buzz surrounded a trailer for the upcoming “Ghostbusters” film, the all-female reboot had another setback this week.

Fans noticed action figures from the film are already on clearance at Target stores weeks before the film’s July 15 release.

“LOL toys for #Ghostbusters movie already on clearance,” posted a fan on Twitter with an image of a toy based on actress Kate McKinnon with a big red Target label reading “Clearance… Was $19.99. Now $13.98.”

Another source told us they saw the action figures this week with the same clearance tags at a New Jersey Target, adding, “Target’s clearing out all its ‘Ghostbusters’ merchandise before the movie’s even out.”

But Target told Page Six when reached for comment it was all a big mistake. “This is an error and we are working quickly to address it. We apologize for any guest confusion,” said a rep.

A collector posted on Reddit of the fire sale: “It’s not surprising. The stores are good at sensing turds.” The fan contended that, “Three toys from the line sold,” all classics from the first films, including the “Ghostbusters” car, the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man and the Slimer ghost. But, “Nobody wants action figures of the new cast. The marketers continue to ignore certain basic realities. Girls don’t want to play with… action figures that they can’t change clothes… and the boys, when they do buy female action figures, buy them last.”

Haters of the film’s trailer, including Kevin Smith, have been branded as sexist and faced a backlash themselves. Judd Apatow said, “It’s all silly.”

Original director Ivan Reitman declared, “It’s not so much that the trailer was bad. The trailer was fine. It just can’t stand up to more than 25 years of personal experience” after the 1984 original.
gbactionfigures.jpg
gbactionfigures.jpg (192.75 KiB) Viewed 19610 times
http://pagesix.com/2016/07/07/ghostbust ... ance-rack/
Greg2600
Site Admin

Re: New Ghostbusters Action Figures ALREADY on Clearance at Target

Post by Greg2600 »

who wants those honestly?
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast
AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe »

The whole "you must be sexist if you hate on this movie" vibe is pretty lame. If they released that same crappy trailer with Sandler and Kevin James headlining the project, it would have gotten crucified online, and rightfully so.

Treating women equally doesn't mean "you aren't allowed to criticize them when they make bad movies". It was a bad idea to reboot the movie regardless of cast - do people not remember how bad GB2 was...with all of the original cast?
Greg2600
Site Admin

Post by Greg2600 »

I think the issue was that the filmmakers assumed Ghostbusters was popular simply due to Bill Murray, which is of course bull shit. It was funny yes, but it was also a class 80's action movie with a ton of scary shit (for a kid as I was). The sequel went overboard on the comedy, and this one is even further.
WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO »

I actually didn't hate the trailer. I won't see it until it hits the movie channels, but I'll check it out.
lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 »

Not a fan of Feig as a director. Dont like his taste. And the trailor to me is just to slapsticky
class316
Marked Out God

Post by class316 »

AJLe wrote:The whole "you must be sexist if you hate on this movie" vibe is pretty lame. If they released that same crappy trailer with Sandler and Kevin James headlining the project, it would have gotten crucified online, and rightfully so.

Treating women equally doesn't mean "you aren't allowed to criticize them when they make bad movies". It was a bad idea to reboot the movie regardless of cast - do people not remember how bad GB2 was...with all of the original cast?
While I agree with you, it's not one bit surprising because in today's pc world you can't criticize anything non-Whites do for the same reason you mention.
WOODMO wrote:I actually didn't hate the trailer. I won't see it until it hits the movie channels, but I'll check it out.
Who wants movies when it hits TV in this day and age :haeeeh: I do hope that's a "so to speak" statement.

Most of the time when movies play on TV they are invalid versions of the movie (they usually have cuts and other things).

That being said, I will eventually watch his Ghostbusters movie. I will get a torrent made from the blu ray as a source.
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets
WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO »

class316 wrote:
AJLe wrote:The whole "you must be sexist if you hate on this movie" vibe is pretty lame. If they released that same crappy trailer with Sandler and Kevin James headlining the project, it would have gotten crucified online, and rightfully so.

While I agree with you, it's not one bit surprising because in today's pc world you can't criticize anything non-Whites do for the same reason you mention.
WOODMO wrote:I actually didn't hate the trailer. I won't see it until it hits the movie channels, but I'll check it out.
Who wants movies when it hits TV in this day and age :haeeeh: I do hope that's a "so to speak" statement.

Most of the time when movies play on TV they are invalid versions of the movie (they usually have cuts and other things).

That being said, I will eventually watch his Ghostbusters movie. I will get a torrent made from the blu ray as a source.
I watch HBO, Starz, Showtime, Encore, Cinemax, etc. I don't watch edited movies with commercials. I rarely download anymore though. I like what's on demand Roku channels of these premium networks, like HBO Go, etc, since they're included in my cable. Can't beat the convenience. I only download Oscar season screeners and very tough to find stuff.
Joresky

Post by Joresky »

Looks like the action figures were brought back to normal price, Target said it was an oversight that these figures were put on clearance prematurely.. on another note, I saw the movie yesterday and loved it, hope it makes lots of money so there will be more of them
WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO »

Joresky wrote:hope it makes lots of money so there will be more of them
It didn't, and there likely won't be.
Greg2600
Site Admin

Post by Greg2600 »

I think the opening met expectations, and Sony insists there will be a sequel. Given the addiction to them, I wholly expect another film, although they'll have to trim the budget quite a bit.
WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO »

Greg2600 wrote:I think the opening met expectations, and Sony insists there will be a sequel. Given the addiction to them, I wholly expect another film, although they'll have to trim the budget quite a bit.
That will depend on the legs this film shows, which I don't expect to be very strong. If this takes a 50% hit week 2, which is possible, and keeps falling at a good clip, I doubt it.
Greg2600
Site Admin

Post by Greg2600 »

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/g ... uel-918515

While the actual "loss" is in dispute, sounds like the studio won't proceed with a sequel. Instead, what's "left" of the franchise will revert to Ivan Reitman, who I assume with Dan, will move it forward outside of theaters.