MMA, MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL - Discuss any and all sports
lanza218
Site Admin

Dak Prescott accused of fake autographs

Post by lanza218 »

Report: Dak Prescott accused of fake autographs
Posted by Darin Gantt on July 5, 2017, 12:16 PM EDT

Getty Images
Dak Prescott has to sign a lot more autographs now than anyone anticipated a year ago.

And he’s being accused of getting some help with them.

According to Darren Rovell of ESPN.com, the Cowboys quarterback has been accused of using a machine to sign autographs for a memorabilia company for resale.

A company which authenticates signatures has refused to verify the authenticity of the signatures.

“They had a very machine like feel. You could see the starts and stops,” said Steve Grad, principal authenticator of Beckett Grading Services. “I immediately knew they were autopen. . . . I’ve never heard of a modern athlete doing this.”

There’s been no comment so far from Prescott or his agents, but it makes him the second NFC East quarterback in the midst of a memorabilia scandal, along with Giants quarterback Eli Manning, who is accused of passing off gear as game-worn when it may not have been.
Greg2600
Site Admin

Re: Dak Prescott accused of fake autographs

Post by Greg2600 »

About time!
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast
WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO »

A fake franchise QB dealing with fake autographs... No surprise!!!
AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe »

It wouldn't be "right" of course, but I can at least almost understand pro athletes using autopen for TTM requests, since they probably get a ton of them sent directly to the stadium, and it would be impossible to try to keep up with them on an everyday basis. But if you're accepting money from a company to sign X amount of cards, and you autopen them, that's basically fraud, possibly on a criminal level.
class316
Marked Out God

Post by class316 »

Technically these are not fake autographs, but auto pens. Fake is when a human forges the signature.
AJLe wrote: July 5th, 2017, 4:02 pm It wouldn't be "right" of course, but I can at least almost understand pro athletes using autopen for TTM requests, since they probably get a ton of them sent directly to the stadium, and it would be impossible to try to keep up with them on an everyday basis. But if you're accepting money from a company to sign X amount of cards, and you autopen them, that's basically fraud, possibly on a criminal level.
It's scummy to use auto pen even for TTM. If you don't want to sign don't sign period. But difference here as you pointed out is point blank fraud since people are paying for it.
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets
WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO »

I think autopen would still be deemed "fake" when you are expecting an authentic hand signed autograph. I get what you're saying, but if a company pays someone to sign x amount of autographs and they meet that number but with autopen'd signatures, they would absolutely have some legal recourse available to them, if for no other reason than I am sure any agreement stipulates the items being individually hand-signed.
Greg2600
Site Admin

Post by Greg2600 »

This is without question fraud. TTM autopen, considering it's for free, oh well.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast
class316
Marked Out God

Post by class316 »

Greg2600 wrote: July 6th, 2017, 3:57 pm This is without question fraud. TTM autopen, considering it's for free, oh well.
Yes. It's like, if I lie then that's legal. If I make money from said lie, that's illegal.
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets