London Film and Comic Con July 27-29, 2018

This is the place to discuss Conventions
AJLe
Marked Out Master

Re: London Film and Comic Con July 27-29, 2018

Post by AJLe » March 26th, 2018, 2:38 pm

class316 wrote:
March 26th, 2018, 2:13 pm
Of those you mentioned only JEJ comes close to the caliber of the other names and he has never done a single private signing or any kind of public appearance. That combined with his old age and less than ideal health makes Sean Connery much more likely (to my knowledge Sean lives in the UK).
My point wasn't that JEJ and Oz were better guesses, my point was that neither Ford or RDJ technically fit the "people need to complete their collection" hint, since their are other major cast members from their franchise movies that are also difficult/impossible to get at cons.

Joresky

Post by Joresky » March 26th, 2018, 2:46 pm

I've never been to Europe before and taking a trip there would be on my bucket list of things I've always wanted to do so if the A lister was someone truly spectacular I would be tempted to go... chances are I wouldn't be able to get the funds together though

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » March 26th, 2018, 2:51 pm

Joresky wrote:
March 26th, 2018, 2:46 pm
I've never been to Europe before and taking a trip there would be on my bucket list of things I've always wanted to do so if the A lister was someone truly spectacular I would be tempted to go... chances are I wouldn't be able to get the funds together though
Greyhound runs to Europe?? :feasting:

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » March 26th, 2018, 3:13 pm

Joresky wrote:
March 26th, 2018, 2:46 pm
... chances are I wouldn't be able to get the funds together though
Kickstarter! :praytogods:
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » March 26th, 2018, 3:24 pm

AJLe wrote:
March 26th, 2018, 2:38 pm
My point wasn't that JEJ and Oz were better guesses, my point was that neither Ford or RDJ technically fit the "people need to complete their collection" hint, since their are other major cast members from their franchise movies that are also difficult/impossible to get at cons.
I agree they fit that part of the hint. But not the other parts, as opposed to Harrison and Downy actually fit that part AND other parts.

WOODMO wrote:
March 26th, 2018, 2:51 pm
Greyhound runs to Europe?? :feasting:
:hah: :hahaaa:
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets
:hcit:
View my celebrity report Blog http://celebmeets.blogspot.com/

Gumby
Marked Out Pro

Post by Gumby » March 26th, 2018, 4:56 pm

Some of the guesses so far are in the right ballpark, but let's take a look at the clues again:
Its someone we never thought we would get to one of our events let alone any event anywhere;
This means that not only did Showmasters think they couldn't get them for one of their shows, but that no other convention in the world could either.
This is a very important guest in our hobby
The hobby in question here isn't autographs but Geek Culture as a whole. Who is that ICONIC?
and this will most likely be their only event that they will attend;
Think age here. Not only is this guest a big get, but there's a chance this might be their only show EVER.
Many many of the fans will need this person's autograph to complete their collection.
This clue isn't as vague as you think, in fact, it actually helps the most to deduce possible candidates. Think franchise(s).

When you start to look at it like that, the list really narrows down.

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » March 26th, 2018, 5:42 pm

Gumby wrote:
March 26th, 2018, 4:56 pm

Many many of the fans will need this person's autograph to complete their collection.
This clue isn't as vague as you think, in fact, it actually helps the most to deduce possible candidates. Think franchise(s).

When you start to look at it like that, the list really narrows down.
That's what I'm saying - RDJ doesn't fit that clue at all, since most collectors won't have Scarlet to complete Avengers stuff. Harrison is borderline for this clue too, at least for Star Wars, since most collectors won't have JEJ or Oz. You could make a case for him to "complete" original Raiders pieces - Marion, Belloq, and Sallah all do cons, and although there's a ton more people you could get, you really don't NEED any other core cast members besides them. But I think his general grumpiness probably would make him less likely then the other prime candidates to get booked for a con.

Arnold fits this clue nicely, since most of the main cast of his original Terminator movies have done cons, and just about EVERY original Nightmare on Elm Street collector needs Depp to complete their pieces, since everybody else in the film has done a million cons.

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » March 26th, 2018, 5:43 pm

The Messiah himself could be making an appearance and there isn't a chance I'd go to London for one name...

...but I do understand it. I hope it's someone you guys need!
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

Gumby
Marked Out Pro

Post by Gumby » March 26th, 2018, 6:37 pm

It could be him, but the reason that I would discount Depp is because of the clue that this could very well be the guests only convention appearance ever. At 54, Depp still has, potentially, 30+ years left while some of the other names don't.

Arnie makes sense, as he fits all the clues (he's 70) and as you said, most of the cast from the first 2 Terminators are con regulars.

As for Ford, I think you're taking "complete" too literally. The truth is is that most fans would consider a Star Wars piece complete with just Luke/Leia/Chewie/Han/Darth and the droids. JEJ would be a welcome gift (it could be him!) but fans are content to check off the Darth box with David Prowse. Indy and Blade Runner, same thing. Only crazy people like you and I try to add EVERYONE to complete a project. Having said that, the UK does get a TON of names from these franchises that we never do/will, so a fan in England has a far greater chance of having a truly "complete" piece than we do.

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » March 26th, 2018, 6:46 pm

Let’s be fair. “This could be the only appearance” is spin and salesmanship, I read nothing regarding age. Let’s not take these hints as unbiased and factually true. Any big name they’ll sell as one time only to get people there.

I also don’t take the autograph to mean completing projects so much as “no collection is complete without this celebrity.”

Gumby
Marked Out Pro

Post by Gumby » March 26th, 2018, 6:56 pm

Yeah, it's salesmanship, sure (They were the first to get MJF and for a year or so, was the only convention he had appeared at). Age might have nothing to do with it, but when you add up the other clues though the list dwindles down fast. An almost ungettable name that's big to geek culture and fans need to complete a project? It sure ain't Daisy Ridley!

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » March 26th, 2018, 7:20 pm

They don’t say anything about a project though. They say collection. I say it means “you need a signed 8x10 of _____ to complete your celebrity autograph collection.” Again more salesmanship. All I believe is it’ll be a big name that never did one before. Age, project relevance, I don’t see factoring in

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » March 26th, 2018, 7:52 pm

WOODMO wrote:
March 26th, 2018, 7:20 pm
They don’t say anything about a project though. They say collection. I say it means “you need a signed 8x10 of _____ to complete your celebrity autograph collection.” Again more salesmanship. All I believe is it’ll be a big name that never did one before. Age, project relevance, I don’t see factoring in
Agreed with :pauuuse:

If we think about it in the AJLe method of "collecting" that means completing posters/projects. Hence Depp is the only choice. Not knocking his methods/ways but I firmly doubt that's what they were thinking when they wrote down the clues.

And yes this person could end up doing more cons as MJ Fox did. But all they say for now, he has never done cons before.
Last edited by class316 on March 26th, 2018, 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets
:hcit:
View my celebrity report Blog http://celebmeets.blogspot.com/

Gumby
Marked Out Pro

Post by Gumby » March 26th, 2018, 8:01 pm

Oh. Maybe it's Don Knotts then.

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » March 26th, 2018, 8:05 pm

class316 wrote:
March 26th, 2018, 7:52 pm
WOODMO wrote:
March 26th, 2018, 7:20 pm
Agreed with :pauuuse:

If we think about it in the AJLe method of "collecting" that means completing posters. Hence Depp is the only choice. Not knocking his methods/ways but I firmly doubt that's what they were thinking when they wrote down the clues.

And yes this person could end up doing more cons as MJ Fox did. But all they say for now, he has never done cons before.
But if they're going by Woodmo's interpretation, it's a meaningless hint to even include in their writeup, since literally NOBODY fits that description - especially if we're considering con-only collectors. If you only go to cons, you need ALL of the names we've been guessing, not just any one of them. Say it's Arnold, for example, and you get him - your celebrity autograph collection would likely still need Downey, Ford, Depp, Connery, etc., as well as Scarlet, Mel Gibson, DiCaprio, George Clooney, Sean Penn, and a million other people who never do cons.