The Recently Watched Movie Thread

Discuss movies you've seen or want to see
WOODMO
Site Admin

Re: The Recently Watched Movie Thread

Post by WOODMO » January 7th, 2017, 5:15 pm

Tried Keeping Up With The Joneses with Hamm, Galifinakis, etc. Didn't laugh once in 45 minutes. I turned it off.

Greg2600
Marking Out Icon

Post by Greg2600 » January 7th, 2017, 7:09 pm

Finally saw Star Trek Beyond, an actually decent Star Trek movie.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » January 8th, 2017, 10:17 am

Saw Blue Jasmine with Cate Blanchett. I usually enjoy Woody Allen movies and this was no different. Cate absolutely deserved the Oscar she got for this.

Saw The Accountant with Ben Affleck. I heard mixed things for this one, but I thought it was a really well done action flick. I liked it a real lot.

Saw War Dogs with Jonah Hill & Miles Teller. This was a great film, a lot of fun and good performances. I didn't expect to like this as much as I did.

Greg2600
Marking Out Icon

Post by Greg2600 » January 9th, 2017, 10:55 pm

Jason Bourne and X-Men Apocalypse both in the can. Bourne I found okay, good action, a decent offering for a series done to death. X-Men was great, very fun, enjoyable, etc.

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » January 11th, 2017, 9:40 am

Watched Glengary Glenross for the first time in yearrrrs. So damn good

Saw Nocturnal Animals. Excellent stuff. Jake is really on a roll for me

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » January 11th, 2017, 9:46 am

Yeah, saw Nocturnal Animals this morning, excellent stuff. Jake is one of the next Leo "when will he finally get an Oscar" names for me.

Also saw another Gyllenhaal movie, Demolition, earlier this week. I expected a tad more from this initially, there was a lot of smashing stuff, which while it served a purpose and showed his mental state, it sort of felt like it went on too long. Good, not amazing, which was a letdown.

Greg2600
Marking Out Icon

Post by Greg2600 » January 11th, 2017, 9:49 am

Independence Day Resurgence watched. It's nowhere near as bad as people lampooned. I thought it was pretty good, although last 15 mins were pretty hokey.

Jack Lemmon IS Glengarry Glen Ross.

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » January 11th, 2017, 12:37 pm

ID Resurgance is garbage

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » January 15th, 2017, 10:05 am

Saw Patriot's Day with Mark Wahlberg. I thought it was a great action/drama and I felt it was done tastefully, given how recent the attack was. Mark's character didn't actually exist, so it was nice to see in big moments he took a backseat to the overall law enforcement agencies. He was obviously the star in name, but it felt like Boston collectively starred in this film.

Saw Central Intelligence with The Rock & Kevin Hart. I enjoyed it quite a bit, a great comedy that had a number of funny bits that weren't shown in trailers.

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » January 22nd, 2017, 10:36 am

Saw La La Land, with Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling, and it was phenomenal. The music was a character in the movie, it didn't feel like a forced musical number style musical that you sometimes see. Sure they broke into musical number, but the subtle jazz played just as big of a role to me as the breakaway performance scenes. The film was a great love story and a definite homage to old Hollywood.

Saw Hacksaw Ridge with Andrew Garfield, directed by Mel Gibson. This movie was a masterpiece. Mel directed one of the best faith based films I can remember seeing, and even if you turn your brain off and watch it for the war scenes, it was amazing on that level too. Garfield deserves an Oscar for sure, though I don't expect him to get it.

Saw Moonlight with Mahershala Ali & Naomi Harris. This movie was very good, I don't think it was better than Hacksaw or La La, but it was great. Ali brought a sense of humanity, guilt, conscience almost, to the drug dealer character, that you don't normally see. I thought the film told a great story and definitely made some solid social commentary. Ali deserves the Oscar IMO.

Saw Silence with Andrew Garfield, directed by Martin Scorcese. This film was nearly 3 hours of Jesuit Priests in Japan. I benefited from being a Religious Studies major and finding a lot of entertainment in faith based examination like this, but if you don't like that, you may not like this. I liked it a lot, but it definitely was not fast moving. All about the struggle between faith, suffering, and missionary work in general. Garfield had his second phenomenal performance of the year with this, just incredible stuff.

djknightrida
Marked Out Master

Post by djknightrida » January 22nd, 2017, 11:57 pm

:perplexed: Saw someone marry Barry. Reminded me a lot of a certain member
:dj:

crowbar
Marked Out King

Post by crowbar » January 23rd, 2017, 9:23 am

I found Patriots Day to be amazing. The scenes of chaos were done so well, so tense/nail-biting. Ending was done so tastefully, such a range of emotions experienced while watching this film.

Joresky

Post by Joresky » January 23rd, 2017, 10:15 am

Saw La La Land... really enjoyed it and thought it worth all of the accolades.. really catchy music. Love Emma Stone.. she is talented and easy on the eyes

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » January 28th, 2017, 6:07 pm

Saw The Magnifocent 7. Was ok. Def watchable but wouldnt say I loved it

Saw Split. Loved it. Mcavoy is really phenomenal

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » January 31st, 2017, 10:40 am

Saw Manchester By The Sea with Casey Affleck and Michelle Williams. Definitely a great ensemble cast overall, and a great story with some real tough subjects dealt with. If you're looking for a cheery feel good watch, this is not it. But it is a tremendous character study deserving of all the praise it gets.

Saw A Monster Calls with Sigourney Weaver, Felicity Jones, etc. This film blew me away, I didn't expect to love it, but that's exactly what happened. Tremendous heart, nice twinge of supernatural, just a great film. The little boy did a tremendous job.

Saw Lion with Dev Patel, Rooney Mara & Nicole Kidman. Very powerful true story, I found the first half with the boy to be a little slow in parts, but the second half was a home run for me which evened out. It actually might be in my top 10 list of 2016, though it would fall 6-10 range.

Saw Charlie Countryman with Shia LaBeouf and Evan Rachel Wood. Some of the reviews for this were bad, but I thought it was fantastic. A great indy film with a real European feel to it. Nice love story, some cool action scenes and just criminally underrated.