The Recently Watched Movie Thread

Discuss movies you've seen or want to see
Greg2600

Re: The Recently Watched Movie Thread

Post by Greg2600 » July 3rd, 2017, 11:40 am

WOODMO wrote:
July 3rd, 2017, 9:44 am
United Kingdom (David Oyelow/Rosamund Pike) - A great story about interracial love between a white English woman, an African king, and all the adversity they faced.
:hcit:
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » July 9th, 2017, 10:49 am

The Circle (Emma Watson/Tom Hanks) - Nothing earth shattering, but does a good job making you think about the ever expanding digital dependency, and how we willingly lose a lot of our private selves with our need to check in and "connect". I enjoyed it and find myself thinking back to points it made.

Spiderman: Homecoming (Tom Holland) - Saw this on opening day and I loved it. It was great to see a Spiderman movie stray from that predictable story with the Uncle dying, etc. Holland may very well be the best Spiderman, and this feels like the start of the definitive Spiderman trilogy....Finally!

Ruby Sparks (Paul Dano/Zoe Kazan) - Very fresh and original romantic film, a bit comedic, but nothing I'd call a romantic comedy despite what some genre listings say. I found the film quite thought provoking and well executed.

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » July 11th, 2017, 9:09 am

The Ghost In The Shell (Scarlett Johansson) - I gave this film a try and I ended up turning it off at the midway point, just bad to me. I understood the point and thought it had some potential, but the actions scenes weren't terribly action packed, the dramatic parts that should've been interesting with the soul stuff wasn't. I felt like it jumped around a bit too much as well. Meh, I do not recommend.

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » July 16th, 2017, 1:08 pm

Saw The Jungle Book live action, liked it alot

Spiderman Homecoming, pretty good but to me doesnt top Spiderman 2

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » July 27th, 2017, 11:08 am

Dunkirk (Christopher Nolan) - Very well done war movie. It was different than any I've seen, in the sense it truly captured what I would imagine is often a very disorienting experience. Not necessarily seeing your enemy, or knowing where the shots are even coming from but just running and hiding, hoping for the best. The theater atmosphere made for some truly riveting scenes.

Cobra (Sylvester Stallone) - Just a great, cheesy action film, that I somehow never saw until now. A ton of fun.

The Science of Sleep (Gael Garcia Bernal) - Very original, but it was largely a miss for me. It sometimes felt too different and unique in a forced way, and I would have preferred more heart and human connection. I prefer Walter Mitty to this, in terms of imaginative dream/reality blend films.

The Tree of Life (Brad Pitt/Jessica Chastain) - Visually stunning, somewhat depressing, but overall a good look at life and beyond. I really liked it.

crowbar
Marked Out King

Post by crowbar » July 27th, 2017, 3:32 pm

I did enjoy Dunkirk for the most part. Hard to understand some of the dialogue but it is truly a beautiful film. May be more enjoyable on a second watch.

Valerian was great. Great visuals and great world setting. I found the leads to be fine.

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » August 7th, 2017, 12:38 pm

Saw Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping. Good 1st half 2nd half dragged. Hot Rod a better Lonely Island Movie

Watched Baby Mama, total garbage

War for Planet of the Apes, fitting end to the trilogy.

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » August 8th, 2017, 9:58 am

Wakefield (Bryan Cranston) - Odd film about a husband/father who ends up hiding from his family and living in the garage. Very much a one man acting performance, which Bryan did an amazing job with. I don't feel like it's anything I'd want to revisit but it was a great one time watch.

The Hunter (Willem Dafoe) - An Indy Australian film about a hunter looking for a thought to be extinct Tasmanian Tiger. A good watch, not amazing but compelling and well acted.

The Dark Tower (Matthew McCaughnahey, Idris Elba) - The girl I am seeing wanted to see it, so I figured why not. The film was not great and a lot of stuff was never explained, but it was entertaining and had some funny lines. The run time was shorter than most films of this type, which actually helped it feel enjoyable while still having flaws and plotholes.

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » August 24th, 2017, 11:57 pm

The Saint - This was the backdoor pilot produced a few years ago, starring Eliza Dushku. It was not picked up to series, and frankly no wonder. Absolutely horrible. Roger Moore appears for all of 3 minutes.

The Founder - Michael Keaton's acclaimed performance as Mcdonald's Ray Croc. The film was really well done for about 85% of the way, at which point the story just simply ended. It was like the wrote the script, and realized it was a 5 hour movie, and just cut it! Very poor ending.

Dunkirk - Christopher Nolan's WWII epic. This was easily the most authentic and realistic WWII portrayal I've ever seen. I'm not sure if that was Nolan's primary aim, but he succeeded in that sense. The action time jumps a bunch, and meshes the story of all the characters together. It's not Band of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan or Memphis Belle or whatever. In any case, as always the bravery, resilience, and character of the British people shone through.

crowbar
Marked Out King

Post by crowbar » August 26th, 2017, 9:19 am

I loved Death Note. It's easily in my top 5 of the year

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » September 5th, 2017, 6:26 pm

Saw Snatched (Goldie Hawn/Amy Schumer) on the plane to Canada, wasn't half bad. Yes very formulaic, but still funny.

I guess you could say I saw La La Land, as they had it playing OUTDOORS on a football field, while we were having softball games. It sounded just plain awful though!!!!

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » September 6th, 2017, 1:30 pm

Caught the great muppet caper the other night. One of my favs

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » September 10th, 2017, 1:37 pm

I joined the $9.99 a month "Movie Pass" subscription service which grants you one free movie ticket per day, all included under the $9.99 monthly fee, so I've been seeing a few more in theaters than I normally do.

It (Bill Skarsgaard) - I never saw the original, but I really enjoyed this film. It felt more Stranger Things than Insidious in terms of how the scares were handled, which I liked. The 80s theme never grows old for me and it served this film well.

Wind River (Jeremy Renner/Elizabeth Olsen) - Fantastic film about a murdered Native American girl on a Wyoming reservation. This movie is totally under the radar and I'm not sure why, easily one of the year's best that I've seen thus far.

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » September 10th, 2017, 2:30 pm

Muppet caper is fantastic! I somehow forced myself through the original IT miniseries last night while flipping back and forth with NASCAR. Very overrated. I think even as a kid wouldn't have scared me.

crowbar
Marked Out King

Post by crowbar » September 11th, 2017, 8:55 am

IT was thoroughly enjoyable. Very funny in parts, very creepy in others. The movie was way better than I thought it would be and is a contender for top 10 of the year. Fantastic script and direction, great locations.