The Recently Watched Movie Thread

Discuss movies you've seen or want to see
crowbar
Marked Out King

Re: The Recently Watched Movie Thread

Post by crowbar » June 4th, 2017, 9:53 am

Wonder Woman was actually the most entertaining and coherent film of the recent bunch. The critics aren't lying.

oldschoolwwwf
Marked Out Master

Post by oldschoolwwwf » June 5th, 2017, 2:08 pm

agreed, Wonder Woman was great!

ICW
Marked Out King

Post by ICW » June 6th, 2017, 9:49 pm

I saw Alien: Covenant. Enjoyed it!
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » June 8th, 2017, 2:12 pm

Wonder Woman wasnt flawless but a really great film

AsianDave
Marked Out Master

Post by AsianDave » June 8th, 2017, 2:37 pm

Agreed! It was a wonderful origin story and while there might be another actress who would've made a wonderful (pun intended) Wonder Woman, I thought that Gal Gadot did it justice in portraying her! of course, there were certain points of the movie where it was...well, pointless and slowed the movie down a bit and the ultimate battle between her and Ares was well, anti-climatic and disappointing. But an overall good movie nevertheless.

Alien: Covenant was very interesting. It was great seeing the "face huggers" again! LOL And of course, the ending was oh so obvious...

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » June 8th, 2017, 2:56 pm

Finally finished the Harry Potter series with Deathly Hollows Part 2. This was a great conclusion to the series and it's hard to argue it as anything but the best of the series.

Got to see the new Pirates of the Caribbean Dead Men Tell No Tales in the theater. I am a sucker for all of these films, but this was probably my favorite since the first one. Great action, the new characters felt really connected and made sense, and Johnny and the familiar faces were great as usual.

Saw Brain on Fire with Chloe Moretz and Thomas Mann. This was an interesting movie based on a true story about a brain condition that afflicted the leading lady. This film was far from perfect, a bit cliche in parts, but it told a story that kept me dialed in and I liked it.

djknightrida
Marked Out Master

Post by djknightrida » June 13th, 2017, 1:29 am

Wonderwoman good but still worse than 90% of MCU. Only POS like Antman & Ironman 3 are below it.

DC still has a long way to go. Justice League will be very telling for franchise.
:dj:

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » June 18th, 2017, 9:46 am

Saw The Vow with Channing Tatum. Kind of a typical romance film, but it was well done.

Saw War on Everyone with Alexander Skarsgaard and Michael Pena. A crazy action comedy about corrupt cops. It wasn't great, but it was fun and interesting to see these two in a semi comedy.

Saw Song To Song with Ryan Gosling, Rooney Mara, Michael Fassbender and Natalie Portman. In addition to this cast, it was also made by Terrance Malick. Now I love art house type films, but this was totally and completely aimless. A bit pretentious in the sense that it felt intentionally disconnected. I gave up on it halfway through, it was just bad to me.

Saw Big Fish with Ewan McGregor and Billy Crudup. I thought this film was genius, perhaps the best I've ever seen by Tim Burton. It was weird, but a bit more grounded than his others. Tremendous heart and a great story.

AsianDave
Marked Out Master

Post by AsianDave » June 19th, 2017, 9:45 am

WOODMO wrote:
June 18th, 2017, 9:46 am
Saw The Vow with Channing Tatum. Kind of a typical romance film, but it was well done.

Saw War on Everyone with Alexander Skarsgaard and Michael Pena. A crazy action comedy about corrupt cops. It wasn't great, but it was fun and interesting to see these two in a semi comedy.

Saw Song To Song with Ryan Gosling, Rooney Mara, Michael Fassbender and Natalie Portman. In addition to this cast, it was also made by Terrance Malick. Now I love art house type films, but this was totally and completely aimless. A bit pretentious in the sense that it felt intentionally disconnected. I gave up on it halfway through, it was just bad to me.

Saw Big Fish with Ewan McGregor and Billy Crudup. I thought this film was genius, perhaps the best I've ever seen by Tim Burton. It was weird, but a bit more grounded than his others. Tremendous heart and a great story.
Are you telling another "Big Fish" story again, Woodmo? :hahaaa:

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » June 20th, 2017, 3:46 pm

Saw Wonder Woman last night, as most have said, great film. Limited CGI, intrigue and mystery, and period piece elements. Gadot did an excellent job as well, she's really right for the part. How ironic that the Justice League trailer preceded this film, and looked like even more of a mess than BvS.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

crowbar
Marked Out King

Post by crowbar » June 20th, 2017, 3:53 pm

Watched Power Rangers and it was fine. The actual moments where they were Power Rangers was probably the worst parts of it. The rest of the movie was somewhat enjoyable.

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » June 30th, 2017, 11:50 am

Double feature last night, saw Underworld: Blood Wars and Resident Evil: The Final Chapter. I would say UW was the better film. It was in many ways better than even the 2nd film (Evolution), though still not that great. Resident Evil on its own, was a decent action film. The latter half was action packed. The problem is that it did very little different than the previous couple films in the series.

Also (took a few partial watches) got through The Purge: Election Year, very good film. Some liked it better than the original, but no, original is still the best, most unique.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

MrTonyRuben
Marked Out Pro

Post by MrTonyRuben » July 1st, 2017, 12:35 pm

Last few movies I've seen in theaters:

Wonder Woman - Quite average to me. It's the best DC Universe movie if you don't count Nolan's Dark Knight movies. The comedy aspects were good and has some really good CGI, but half the movie felt like the first Captain America movie to me, with this just being set during WW1. 3/5

Baby Driver - Edgar Wright is a genius! Every single movie I've seen of his has not disappointed and this one is top notch! Great thrill ride of a movie, just wish it was longer than 90 minutes! 4.5/5

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » July 3rd, 2017, 9:44 am

Last few films I've seen.

Wonder Woman (Gal Gadot) - I passed on seeing this in theaters, but when the 1080p hit online I decided to check it out. Largely I felt the hype was deserved, this is a good film, probably the best of the DC collection to me, which is no shocking declaration as everyone seems to be saying that. I can't put this in my top 5 comic film list all time though.

Legend of Tarzan (Alexander Skarsgaard) - Solid film, not great but not terrible. Pretty much what you expect with a Tarzan film. The leads all did a good job.

The Shack (Sam Worthington) - I am a sucker for faith based films and this one was fun. Certainly doesn't tell a terribly different story from similar "what if you could talk to God" films, but it was executed very well.

The Zookeeper's Wife (Jessica Chastain) - Very good film, that I am surprised wasn't held more for an Oscar push. Definitely a cool WWII story.

United Kingdom (David Oyelow/Rosamund Pike) - A great story about interracial love between a white English woman, an African king, and all the adversity they faced.

Driving Ms Daisy (Morgan Freeman) - I've somehow never seen this film, so I decided to rectify that. The first half was unremarkable and made me wonder why this film was talked about so favorably, but the second half answered that question. They really dealt with some deep stuff and did so in a very touching way. Awesome watch.

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » July 3rd, 2017, 10:54 am

Shack is on my watch list. The book was good from what i remwmber