The Recently Watched Movie Thread

Discuss movies you've seen or want to see
AsianDave
Marked Out Master

Re: The Recently Watched Movie Thread

Post by AsianDave » December 19th, 2016, 4:01 pm

Greg2600 wrote:I also saw it yesterday afternoon. Fantastic film, Gareth Edwards and ILM team really outdid themselves. Far better than the shaky Force Awakens (which I did enjoy a lot). It was very cool to see the easter egg/homages to A New Hope, for sure.

PS: Dave I hope you were kidding, "Bothans died" for the 2nd Death Star plans!
Relax buddy! i was only joking...or was I? i only said it because it's a bit misleading to alot of ppl when they assume what happen in Rogue One directly led to A New Hope about the plans. I know that "Many Bothans died to bring us this information." was stated by Mon Motha in Return of the Jedi concerning the half completed Death Star.

Not to spoil it for anyone else, but what did you think about the "voice" of one black clad villain? :thinking:

djknightrida
Marked Out Master

Post by djknightrida » December 20th, 2016, 11:22 pm

Saw Suicide Squad. Def the best DC film since Nolan's Batman series. Still bad though. C-

Independence Day Resurgance was a joke. A mockery to the original. D-
:dj:

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » December 21st, 2016, 9:33 am

Saw 10 Cloverfield Lane with Mary Elizabeth Winstead and John Goodman. Really a good psychological thriller. Highly recommend.

Saw The Lobster with Colin Farrell and Rachel Weissz, which I found to be genius. Such a powerful statement about relationships and the way many people in society view them.

Saw Monster's Inc which I somehow never saw and I really enjoyed it.

Saw Nightmare Before Christmas which I haven't seen since I was a kid. I liked it a lot, but not as much as Corpse Bride. A weird film for sure, but very cool.

Saw Home Alone for the first time in a few years, and it was great as always.

Saw Blood Father with Mel GIbson. This film, despite having like a 90% on Rotten Tomato was completely under the radar, but what a great action film it was. Ton of fun.

Greg2600
Marking Out Icon

Post by Greg2600 » December 21st, 2016, 9:55 am

It's amazing, I STILL crack up pretty good at Home Alone. The physical comedy from the Wet Bandits was the last time I've seen people literally rolling in the aisles in a theater.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

crowbar
Marked Out King

Post by crowbar » December 21st, 2016, 10:00 am

Lobster is definitely in my top 10 of the year. Great film.

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » December 21st, 2016, 11:12 am

Saw Office Xmas Party. Laughed at every scene. Damn funny movie

Binged alot of xmas movies as well. Home Alone, Hone Alone 2, Die Hard, The Grinch Cartoon. Wonderful Life and Miracle on 34th Street. All great. Home Alone i feel like ibforget all the small banter and throwaway lines. Like Pesci telling Stern...Your sick u know that?? Cracks me up

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » December 21st, 2016, 11:15 am

lanza218 wrote:Saw Office Xmas Party. Laughed at every scene. Damn funny movie

Binged alot of xmas movies as well. Home Alone, Hone Alone 2, Die Hard, The Grinch Cartoon. Wonderful Life and Miracle on 34th Street. All great. Home Alone i feel like ibforget all the small banter and throwaway lines. Like Pesci telling Stern...Your sick u know that?? Cracks me up
Funny thing is I forgot the Santa Clause scene. I was amazed that slipped my mind.

MrTonyRuben
Marked Out Pro

Post by MrTonyRuben » December 21st, 2016, 3:55 pm

My last few viewings:

TMNT Out Of The Shadows - Liked it better than the first but still felt mediocre to what it could have been. Plus the way Casey Jones was written was a big let down. 2.5/5

Star Trek Beyond - Extremely fun movie. I thought Justin Lin did well taking over directing the series. 3.5/5

The Fifth Wave - Better than I thought it would be. It's a YA film, but had interesting plot points. Wonder if it did enough in sales to get a sequel. 3/5

Arrival - My favorite film that I've seen this year and definitely my type of movie. Thoroughly enjoyed it. 5/5

Rogue One - Seen it twice. Really liked it and even spotted some of the obscure easter eggs including from the current Disney cartoon. It may have inadvertently introduced a big plot hole to the original movie but I'd have to see it once more to confirm what I heard. 4/5

djknightrida
Marked Out Master

Post by djknightrida » December 23rd, 2016, 2:22 pm

Got around to seeing Rogue One. Good. Not great. Def won't see in theatre again.
:dj:

Joresky

Post by Joresky » December 23rd, 2016, 3:56 pm

I saw Rogue One and really enjoyed it... it was different for a Star Wars film and a bit darker, I have to admit I enjoyed Force Awakens more though.. Saw Office Christmas Party and thought it was hilarious, TJ Miller is awesome, def go see it

mrira
Marked Out King

Post by mrira » December 30th, 2016, 7:49 pm

I saw "Sing" on Christmas Day; music was good, but the whole story of the movie wasn't great.

I just saw "Jacky" today, as Jen wanted to see it. Wasn't a big fan of it at all, too slow for my liking.

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » January 1st, 2017, 10:05 am

Rewatched Aladdin for the first time in at least 20 years and I really loved it still. It definitely translates well into adulthood and I picked up things I didn't as a child, such as most of the Genie's references.

Saw Babel with Brad Pitt, Cate Blanchett and Gael Garcia Bernal, which I found really great. Three stories which end up intercepting. I always enjoy stuff like that which makes you examine the reaction every action has.

Saw Midnight Special with Michael Shannon. Now I love Shannon, and the director made Take Shelter and Mud, and I enjoyed both of those, but this film didn't really resonate with me. It was OK, but not great like I expected.

Saw Fletch Lives with Chevy Chase. Great follow up to Fletch.

Saw Mammoth with Gael Garcia Bernal and Michelle Williams since Hulu has it on, and it's normally difficult to locate. I liked it very much, it made a strong statement about motherhood in the modern world. It also made you feel and took you to places in the world you don't often experience in films, like most Gael films do.

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » January 2nd, 2017, 10:27 pm

Watched The Imitation Game today...what a great film. Powerful. Loved it and prob makes my all time fav list

Greg2600
Marking Out Icon

Post by Greg2600 » January 2nd, 2017, 10:54 pm

Fletch Lives is better than Fletch. I saw Imitation Game, meh for me, but I think that's because I'm coming to realize I can't stand Benedict Cumberbach!

Greg2600
Marking Out Icon

Post by Greg2600 » January 7th, 2017, 12:48 pm

The Secret Lives of Pets....very good. Eric Stonestreet (voice) was great.