The Recently Watched Movie Thread

Discuss movies you've seen or want to see
WOODMO
Site Admin

Re: The Recently Watched Movie Thread

Post by WOODMO » February 11th, 2017, 10:13 am

Saw Arrival with Amy Adams, Jeremy Renner & Forest Whitaker. This was a good minimalist Alien movie. Without giving anything away, there is no fighting or typical "Alien" stuff. A character study if you will. I liked it.

Saw The Beaver with Mel Gibson, Jodie Foster, Anton Yelchin and Jennifer Lawrence. This was a good indy with some great acting, but sadly this was during Mel's "exile" period.

Saw Desierto with Gael Garcia Bernal and Jeffrey Dean Morgan. A political movie glamorizing illegal immigration, but beyond that I thought it was a fun movie. Not great, but it was different and enjoyable.

Saw American Honey with Shia LaBeouf and Sasha Lane. This film was definitely art house and not for everyone. The film is a tad under 3 hours, which is longer than it needs to be in terms of development, you could easily edit this down at least 40 minutes, but I felt it conveyed the aimlessness of the lifestyle well. Sasha Lane is a future star IMO, and Shia had another great performance since he strayed from mainstream Hollywood.

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » February 18th, 2017, 11:06 am

watched While the City Sleeps, an old movie on TCM, did not like it at all

Saw the new Ghostbuster movie, not nearly as bad as everyone made it out to be, but pretty bad, wouldnt watch again

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » February 18th, 2017, 11:25 am

Saw indy film The Preppie Connection with Thomas Mann, which was based on a true story of a prep school kid smuggling cocaine into the country to sell. Solid film, good performance by Mann.

Saw Transformers with Shia Labeouf and Megan Fox. I never saw any of these films but seeing as I met the entire cast aside from Fox/Tyrese I decided to check it out. The film was bad, but it felt like it was having fun with itself and it's cheesy dialogue, sort of in an 80s kind of way. Now perhaps I misread the intention and I am giving it more credit than it deserves, but I enjoyed it and actually chuckled more than I expected at the ridiculous stuff.

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » February 21st, 2017, 10:07 am

Saw In Dubious Battle with James Franco, Vincent D'Onofrio, Nat Wolff and Selena Gomez among others. Not a horrible film, but not really a great one either. Average acting, average drama, nothing I'd watch again but nothing I minded watching the first time. Just totally forgettable.

Saw Moana with Dwayne Johnson, which I thought was fantastic. Perhaps my favorite Disney soundtrack off first listen and some great content. Instant Disney classic that fits right along with the rest.

Saw Man Down with Shia LaBeouf and Kate Mara. The script was good, not amazing, but the acting was stellar. Perhaps the most raw and difficult to watch example of PTSD and what our military struggle with when returning home. Without spoiling anything, there is some real strong imagery in this film. The final 20 minutes is pretty intense.

wewantflair
Site Admin

Post by wewantflair » February 21st, 2017, 1:56 pm

Saw Hidden Figures this weekend. Brilliant movie on every level. Glen Powell as John Glenn is awesome as a background character, and the 3 leads absolutely kill. Kirsten Dunst isn't horrible. Jim Parsons is creepy and awful and you're supposed to hate him, and you do! All in all a very cool flick.

Greg2600
Marking Out Icon

Post by Greg2600 » February 28th, 2017, 9:20 am

Finally saw Dr. Strange, and enjoyed it as I thought I would. Obviously the subject matter is completely ridiculous, BUT with a combination of special effects and tremendous creativity, plus superb veteran acting, it was good. I'll put it in my good Marvel column with GOTG, Ant-Man, and X-Men films.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » February 28th, 2017, 9:56 am

Saw Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides with Johnny Depp and I thought it was better than most of the sequels. I just enjoy this series, so I never disliked any, but the second one dragged a bit, this one was more fun.

Saw Deepwater Horizon with Mark Wahlberg. A typical Wahlberg/Berg film which celebrates real life heroes in a timely fashion. I liked it and it was pretty much what I expected.

Saw Collateral Beauty with Will Smith. The critics absolutely roasted this film, though the audience scores were always much higher. As I expected, I enjoyed it, since I always gravitate towards this kind of subject matter. I see why critics didn't like it, but I got something out of it.

Saw Coming Through The Rye with Alexx Wolff, Stefania Owen and Chris Cooper. This was a cool little indy film set in the 60s about a HS kid trying to find JD Sallinger. I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to.

crowbar
Marked Out King

Post by crowbar » February 28th, 2017, 6:55 pm

Get Out was a really great film.. very suspenseful and well done

MrTonyRuben
Marked Out Pro

Post by MrTonyRuben » March 2nd, 2017, 11:31 pm

Just got back from seeing Logan. Loved it! It's sad it took them 17 years to unleash the full potential of his character.

AsianDave
Marked Out Master

Post by AsianDave » March 6th, 2017, 5:58 pm

I actually saw this movie yesterday! I thought it was great (I'd give it a 4 out of 5 stars), and it only made sense for them to end it the way they did...

much like how they screwed up the concept of who and what Deadpool was supposed to be in the X-Men Origins: Wolverine movie, they too screwed up what Wolverine/Logan should have been as well. Sometimes, it simply takes them a while to figure it all out. But the fact they humanized him with all his flaws and fault, it made perfect sense.

I'm torn that it's the last Wolverine movie with Jackman, as there really can be no others. I hope to hell they don't try and reboot this franchise.

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » March 12th, 2017, 2:46 pm

Did some comic movie catch up.

Saw Thor: The Dark World finally. I really liked the first Thor, in fact I would rank it above every Captain America, Iron Man and Avenger movie ever made. I didn't think this one was as good as the first, but I still liked it more than the other key Avenger member movies. The only Marvel movies I like more than the Thor series is Ant Man and Guardians.

Saw The Wolverine. I thought it was a good action movie, I enjoyed it for what it was.

Saw X-Men: Days of Future Past. Pretty much as good as I always heard. Very fun and well done.

Saw Kong Skull Island and I thought it was also a lot of fun. I grew up loving King Kong and Godzilla, so nice to finally get into this new version of them. I will need to catch Godzilla at some point.

crowbar
Marked Out King

Post by crowbar » March 12th, 2017, 3:36 pm

Loved Logan. Definitely the way it should've ended and how the previous Wolverine films shouldve been. Dark gritty and ultraviolent.

I found Kong to be enjoyable but something kept it to be really great. It might be the human characters and how really little they seem to matter. Kong itself is quite a spectacle and probably would be great to see in true IMAX.

mrira
Marked Out King

Post by mrira » March 18th, 2017, 8:51 pm

Saw Beauty & The Beast. Really well done movie & I thought it held up very well next to the original. Emma Watson has a nice singing voice & really did a great job of bringing Belle to life. Not getting the uproar about the gay character stuff, nothing so obvious that it would drive religious people insane.

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » March 19th, 2017, 7:46 pm

Logan was amazing, loved every min of it

Pixels was a typical adam sandler film. Not one of his better ones but i felt fine for what it was

Saw Courage Under Fire. Prob havent seen it in 20 years. Still holds up. Forgot a young Damon is in it!!

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » March 20th, 2017, 9:53 am

Saw Regression with Ethan Hawke & Emma Watson. Disappointing, especially given the cast. Wasn't much of a thriller, wasn't too horror themed either, it just kind of sleep walked between the two. It essentially felt like a TV movie, something you don't necessarily hate while watching, but nothing you like or would ever recommend/watch again.

Saw Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Part 1. I have been hesitating to watch these last two, since I don't love binge watching and like to savor stuff I enjoy, but I finally decided to jump into the final two. This film was great, perhaps top 2 in the series. The ending is perfect too.

Saw Why Him with James Franco & Bryan Cranston. I expected a bit more, it was funny, but I expected great and all I got was OK. I guess for comedies nowadays you can't complain too much, but nothing epic.

Saw Tombstone with Kurt Russell & Val Kilmer. Never saw this film before but I decided to check it out and it was a lot of fun. Some of the dialogue, especially from Russell was laughably bad, but that was half of the fun. Good, cool western with a loaded cast.