The Recently Watched Movie Thread

Discuss movies you've seen or want to see
lanza218
Site Admin

Re: The Recently Watched Movie Thread

Post by lanza218 » March 27th, 2017, 11:09 am

On first flight watched Arrival. Loved it

Manchester by the Sea. The movie was amazing the acting was what it was. Served the movie very but the plot was jjst amazing.

City Lights. Old Chaplin flick. Still holds up.

AsianDave
Marked Out Master

Post by AsianDave » March 27th, 2017, 11:21 pm

Caught a double feature over the wkend, starting with Life...this was not quite ur standard run of the mill Sci-fi, horror monster alien flick! Great casts of Ryan Reynolds, Jake Gyllenhaal, Rebecca Ferguson (who is simply gorgeous), Hiroyuki Sanada (from THE Wolverine and The Last Samurai), and couple others. Not to spoil anything, but it was a crazy ass movie. Thoroughly enjoyable...except I ddn't care for the alien thing which looks like a jellyfish/star fish on steriods! It was too odd to be believable! And the ending was nuts!
Second movie was Kong:Skull Island...well, pretty much ur typical big ape reboot. It was okay, not great. Kong looked really good, except i have a question, when did apes walk fully upright (not talking about humans either)? And i hated those goofy Skullcrawlers...

crowbar
Marked Out King

Post by crowbar » March 28th, 2017, 8:38 am

I enjoyed Life, thought it was great with the body horror that goes on. Also thought the ending was very good.

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » March 28th, 2017, 10:05 am

Saw the live action version of The Junglebook and I thought it was really well done. I grew up loving the animated one, perhaps my all time favorite Disney movie, and this did a good job keeping up the legacy.

Saw Perks of Being a Wallflower with Logan Lerman and Emma Watson. Great high school drama, really no complaints about this one.

Saw Kiss Kiss Bang Bang with Robert Downey Jr and Val Kilmer. Fun action/crime film, liked the tongue in cheek style of the narration and the way humor was blended.

MrTonyRuben
Marked Out Pro

Post by MrTonyRuben » March 28th, 2017, 4:19 pm

My last few viewings:

The Secret Life of Pets - Not a fan. I thought the majority of the funny scenes were in the trailer. Doesn't help that I'm not a fan of Kevin Hart. His bunny character took me away from trying trying enjoy it more. 2.5/5

John Wick: Chapter 2 - Great action flick, just like the first movie. The only thing that didn't set well with me was the ending tone, even though it was obvious that was the way it was going. 3.5/5

Sing Street - Simple movie formula, executed flawlessly. Nice blend of comedy, heart and some good music. I HIGHLY recommend it if you're a fan of 80's pop rock. 5/5

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » April 2nd, 2017, 9:40 am

Saw Hidden Figures with Taraji P Henson, Octavia, Kevin Costner, etc. This film was beautiful and powerful with a tremendous cast top to bottom. Ali and Powell had some great supporting turns which go ignored it seems. I am really surprised Henson didn't get nominated.

Saw The Discovery with Jason Segel, Rooney Mara and Robert Redford, which just hit Netflix on Friday. I am a sucker for anything afterlife related, so I enjoyed it, but it was missing something that kept it from being amazing. I really liked the afterlife payoff/twist at the end that explained it all a bit better. Definitely thought provoking if that topic interests you. Good, not great, is about how I would describe.

crowbar
Marked Out King

Post by crowbar » April 2nd, 2017, 9:55 am

Passengers was a good idea but didn't quite live up to the promise that the idea could bring. First half hour was great.. but the moral conundrum at the center of the film should've been explored way more.

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » April 10th, 2017, 6:37 pm

Caught a bunch of movies on flight home

Moana, great Disney flick, sucker for anything with The Rock

Secret Life of Pets, meh, ok idea, not a great execution

Finding Dory, pretty good, not better than Nemo though

Suicide Squad. Liked it alot. Few holes but Smith and Robbie killed in their roles

La La Land, ended up enjoying it quite a bit aftwr the first 15 min or so. Predictable plot but well done.

Finallly saw Harry Potter and Socerer stone. Was enjoyable. Didnt love it. Fell asleep on 2nd one. I never feel Harry is going to get in any trouble or any danger.

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » April 11th, 2017, 10:47 am

Finally caught Whiplash, great great film

Also watched The Outsiders, meh

Joresky

Post by Joresky » April 11th, 2017, 10:58 am

Saw the movie Life with Jake Gyllenhaal, Ryan Reynolds and Rebecca Ferguson... really enjoy it! Cool sci-fi movie.. great cast!

djknightrida
Marked Out Master

Post by djknightrida » April 14th, 2017, 11:55 pm

Action was so unbelievable in Fast 8 it made a better comedy than an action flick.

So much made zero sense with the franchises history it out a damper over it too. I'd put it about middle of the pack. Not great but not leaps and bounds over Tokyo & 2 Fast.
:dj:

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » April 15th, 2017, 9:40 am

Saw Daylight, an old action movie with Sylvester Stallone about the Holland Tunnel exploding. I thought it was fun. The typical film of this genre, poor acting, cheesy lines, but fun which is all you should expect.

Saw Braveheart with Mel Gibson, which I somehow never saw. Honestly, if we talk a movie having it all, I think it's the best movie I've ever seen. Amazing action, a good love story, good acting, plus some faith based parallels that go a long way for me. I loved it and on one watch I really couldn't name a better all around movie I've seen.

Saw The Passion of the Christ in honor of Easter, and this was brilliant. A difficult watch for sure, but so well done and important.

crowbar
Marked Out King

Post by crowbar » April 15th, 2017, 9:58 am

Saw fast 8 last night. There are some moments where the movie shines but I think I'm growing tired of this franchise. Vin Diesel is a terrible actor and the movie expects you to take huge leaps in logic just for the plot alone, let alone the action.

jabronijosh04
Learning To Mark Out

Post by jabronijosh04 » April 18th, 2017, 3:29 am

After the announcement of charlie sheen at ww philly i watched major leauge

oldschoolwwwf
Marked Out Master

Post by oldschoolwwwf » April 18th, 2017, 9:31 am

saw fast 8...while the last few might have been better, I really enjoyed it- it was exactly what is claims it will be- great action, great effects, some funny interaction...they keep making these, I will keep going to see them..