Star Wars. The Force Awakens. Discussion with Spoilers

Discuss movies you've seen or want to see
mrira
Marked Out King

Re: Star Wars. The Force Awakens. Discussion with Spoilers

Post by mrira » December 21st, 2015, 6:25 am

cmshowstopper wrote:Also did anyone else realize that Ewan McGregor, Alec Guiness voices both were in the movie, as well as Yoda without any lines appeared? I did not.
Wasn't it during that one scene where Rey picked up the Skywalker Lightsaber & had that vision?

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » December 21st, 2015, 9:25 am

That was probably the scene, but not something you can easily recognize. Similar to Star Trek, JJ throw a ton of easter eggs in. The infamous cosplay 501st legion group got their logo into the film.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/QXM-G6xoai0/maxresdefault.jpg

As for Rey, it's definitely possible she's a cousin to Kylo, but not entirely. Becoming a Jedi in the SW universe is not a super-unique thing, and something you need not be a descendant of Anakin to become, or to become a powerful one.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

mrira
Marked Out King

Post by mrira » December 21st, 2015, 9:39 am

Greg2600 wrote:As for Rey, it's definitely possible she's a cousin to Kylo, but not entirely. Becoming a Jedi in the SW universe is not a super-unique thing, and something you need not be a descendant of Anakin to become, or to become a powerful one.
The only reason I think it, is because Kylo & Ren look sort of alike, plus you see a young Rey being taken away from someone in that vision. It's just a hunch, but we'll find out in 2017.

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » December 21st, 2015, 10:04 am

mrira wrote:The only reason I think it, is because Kylo & Ren look sort of alike, plus you see a young Rey being taken away from someone in that vision. It's just a hunch, but we'll find out in 2017.
Ira, while I don't write or direct movies, I'm pretty confident that they didn't cast Adam and Daisy based on their physical resemblance, which to be honest, besides both being white, I don't see any. :thinking: Also, unlike Lucas, to my knowledge there's been no major road map or series bible that's been written for future episodes. Similar to X-Men or Avengers, they can still do basically whatever they want.

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » December 22nd, 2015, 4:19 am

I finally saw it. It was quite depressing sitting in the theater knowing I would watch a movie that changes the Star Wars I used to know completely. Star Wars is IMO no longer Star Wars. And now that we'll be getting one movie per year Star Wars will no longer be special.

Where was the New Republic? They didn't have an army? Outside of the 6 movies and the Clone Wars cartoons, all Star Wars stories pre Disney are now invalid (as per official statement, not as per my opinion). In the invalid canon a New Republic was formed and a New Jedi Order was formed. Here you barely see anything as it relates to the New Republic and there is no Jedi Order. And if they took over power from the Empire why does Leia have to lead a "resistance" movement? Shouldn't the First Order be the "rebels" here?

Shocked that there are no other Jedi left besides Luke. In the Star Wars Rebels cartoon (valid canon) you have at least two Jedi besides Obi Wan and Yoda that were alive after Revenge of the Sith. Namely Ahsoka (who during the Clone Wars left the Jedi order so she was no where near any clone troopers when order 66 was executed) and Kanan who was a padawan and watched his master get gunned down. Seems very strange that no other Jedi existed after Return of the Jedi that could have trained other Jedi now that the Empire was gone. On a side note in the invalid canon a lot of Jedi came out of hiding after Return of the Jedi.

Also, while it seems weird that Rey can channel the force so quickly, she was able to stand up against Kylo Ren in part because Kylo was injured from Chewbacca's blast. Had he been at full capacity he probably would have crushed her. Now if Finn had been able to stand up against Kylo I would have been more baffled because Finn was just a stormtrooper and has no force powers. Thankfully that didn't happen though. And as mentioned Luke did try to train a number of students but then Kylo pulled an Anakin and killed them all.

How was Luke's original light saber ever found? That is strange. Obi Wan got it from Anakin after he defeated him in Revenge of the Sith. He then gave it to Luke in A New Hope saying "your father wanted you to have this" but then it fell into the abyss of Bespin when Vader cut Luke's hand in Empire Strikes Back.

Imagine if Darth Vader had mind read powers like his grandson. A New Hope would have been quite different.

Overall there was good action and some nice throwbacks to the original, it wasn't nearly as extravagant as everyone has been making it out to be. And the plot was essentially a rehash of A New Hope.
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets
:hcit:
View my celebrity report Blog http://celebmeets.blogspot.com/

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » December 22nd, 2015, 9:46 am

Class, you're not going to be able to analytically examine Star Wars. The entire series is full of plot holes.

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » December 23rd, 2015, 11:41 pm

djknightrida wrote: I figure a huge fan such as yourself (buys merch, makes a point to meet cast) would see it at least 2-3 times. Guess you're not as big a fan as I thought if it's just a maybe too see again.
I finally saw it today, and I will give a more thought out reply tomorrow. But this jumped out at me, needed to comment.

Why is being a huge fan of something synonymous with being obsessed? This is not a diss, so please don't take it that way, but you super fan very hard for things you like. Blacklist, Office worn clothes, etc. That's awesome, but that is not pre requisite for being a huge fan. There isn't a single show I love half as much as you love Blacklist or The Office, and I love a lot of shows,, I don't think to say you are a huge fan needs to accompany that kind of dedication. But again, nothing wrong with how you show your support. I just think Jeremiah could be a huge fan and only see it once, that's perfectly fine.

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » December 23rd, 2015, 11:53 pm

WOODMO wrote:
I finally saw it today, and I will give a more thought out reply tomorrow. But this jumped out at me, needed to comment.
Did you ever see the prequel trilogy?

Also, a few more thoughts

I do agree with what people say that the plot was essentially a rehashed ANH but on a grander scale.

And I hope there's no Hayden force ghost in #8 because I still like to think of Sebastian Shaw as the correct post Vader Anakin.

And in another throwback to the original trilogy, just like George Lucas, JJ used Leni Riefenstahl's Triumph of the Will as an influence for some scenes

For instance

Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets
:hcit:
View my celebrity report Blog http://celebmeets.blogspot.com/

djknightrida
Marked Out Master

Post by djknightrida » December 24th, 2015, 12:03 am

Jeremiah is a fan of anything and anyone under the sun. Bad example to argue over. Lanza/yourself would be better to use as examples to make your point.

Id break it down as such: To be calling yourself a big fan means you support that fandom with time or money. Otherwise you're a casual fan. As for TBL and Office I'm a superfan. Quoting, rewatching on repeat, merch, taking trips just for show. Etc. :dj: I'm a big fan of Star Wars. Lots of merch. Watch casually when the mood hits. Desire to meet cast but specifically with SW a lot of bigger names that aren't the easiest thus a lack of effort on my end. :perplexed: I'm a casual fan of OITNB or House of Cards. The extent of my fandom as a casual is viewing once maybe twice and having a desire to meet cast if it aligns with other stuff. :outragewood:

Don't think Jeremiah's a that big of fan if he thought movie was epic yet has no desire to see it again. He's a casual fan and there's nothing wrong with that. :feasting:
:dj:

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » December 24th, 2015, 7:34 am

Nope. No interest in the prequels. Heard enough bad things.

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » December 24th, 2015, 7:37 am

I wasn't defending Jeremiah, just anyone who saw it once. Didn't use myself because I'm not a huge Star Wars fan.

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » December 24th, 2015, 9:47 am

I thought the movie was great. I read spoilers on the prequels, so I am pretty aware, nothing went over my head. It had the feel of the first three films to me, and sure the plot was very close, but this was basically a reboot without rebooting. They knew the fans would riot if they rebooted, so they just started at the same point, but kept the lineage intact to appease the fans. I saw the Han death coming once they revealed the relation. Well done, sad to see him, but it had to happen. Luke will die next movie I predict, putting all the focus on the new characters, which is the point of this.

Also, I see no similarities between Ren and Ray

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » December 24th, 2015, 10:58 am

I think Luke will make it to IX. Also how did I get in a discussion of Huge fan or not? Wont strat but time to create a new topic!

cmshowstopper
Marked Out Master

Post by cmshowstopper » December 24th, 2015, 4:29 pm

So does anyone have anything to support the theory that Rey is Luke's daughter? I am still seeing nothing outside of Ira's horrid idea that they look like cousins.
http://www.cmshowstopper.com/ Official Webpage Of CM Showstopper

http://www.fallenangelchristopherdaniels.com Official Webpage of Christopher Daniels

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » December 24th, 2015, 4:36 pm

I thought she was Luke's daughter. Though no real theory, just overall tone I felt.