Site Admin

Star Wars. The Force Awakens. Discussion with Spoilers

Post by lanza218 » December 16th, 2015, 7:26 pm

Lets hear it

lanza218
Site Admin

Re: Star Wars. The Force Awakens. Discussion with Spoilers

Post by lanza218 » December 16th, 2015, 8:32 pm

Read a review on reddit since i wont be seeing it. Rylo is Hans son. Han dies everyone is lookig for luke. Luke is found at the end. Wont speak. Movie ends on a wide shot of luke facing off with someone with his electric hand stroking his chin. Think its Daisys character. No yoda. No obiwan

djknightrida
Marked Out Master

Post by djknightrida » December 17th, 2015, 11:47 pm

Yup. Han died. Kylo his boy. Rey parents unknown probably Luke or Han. Bb8 hilarious. Too comedy focused. Carrie looked awful.
2017 Most Unique Photo Winner

:dj:

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » December 18th, 2015, 12:08 am

Was it worth the hype?

djknightrida
Marked Out Master

Post by djknightrida » December 18th, 2015, 12:13 am

lanza218 wrote:Was it worth the hype?

Def good. Feel like I'm gonna cap it at the 3 tix already bought though. Too much felt off. Still enjoyed tho.

cmshowstopper
Marked Out Master

Post by cmshowstopper » December 18th, 2015, 2:00 am

Its a solid movie. I've seen people say how epic it was, greatest all time movie, etc. Its not even the best Star Wars film.

Things I Liked:

Kylo Ren

The overall feel of the movie

Subplots with Kylo and being Solo's kid, killing Solo, Ray and who her parents are, the hunt for Luke Skywalker, Finn turning against the First Order

BB8

Lots of old school characters like Luke, Leia, Han, C3PO, R2D2, Chewbacca, Ackbar

Some questions were addressed, some still unknown. Very much interested in knowing how Maza or whatever her name was had Anakin's lightsaber, since it was lost after Luke lost his hand. Want to know who Ray's family is. Want to know why Jakku has a death star, ATAT, XWing, etc just laying around. C3PO's red arm?

Things I Didnt Like:

Lack of Luke Skywalker. I suspected a lack of screen time, but he had like 20 seconds and not one word uttered.

Kylo Ren taking his helmet off, especially when he was in the forest.

The general plot to this movie is basically a repeat of the original trilogy. The First Order (Empire) rules and the Resistance (Rebel Alliance) are trying to reclaim order. We have an evil Sith lord that is a Skywalker, must destroy the death star, need to rescue a "princess", a young Jedi must do battle with the Sith, Jakku is basically Tattooine

HATED how Ray, who doesnt know she has lineage to the Force and just sort of discovers it in the movie, basically becomes a Jedi master in a few minutes, besting Kylo Ren who was not only trained by the most powerful Jedi of all time, but has been corrupted by the more POWERFUL dark side.

Snoot? Isnt Snoot one of the band members at Jabba's palace?

R2D2 just powers back up at the end for no real reason.

No explanation how the Alliance lost order and the First Order was born

Luke only had 1 student? All these years have passed since Return of the Jedi and this dude decided to train one guy?! What about during the time before this kid was born? No desire to rebuild the Jedi Order? Leia? The Force was strong with her?

All these years passed and yet the First Order is still rocking TIE fighters with a new paint scheme. The Resistance is still using X Wings with new paint. Has technology not advanced? Seems like everyone is using the basic weapons of a era gone by. I get why the Jedis use the lightsabers....but everything else is the same.

Too much PC. I know a lot of people poo pooed Finn and him being black. I didnt care. I never believed he was a Jedi. I actually called a number of different spots with Kylo being son of Solo, death of Han, how Han died, Finn not being a Jedi and was just using the lightsaber, R2 still being around. But I didnt like the PC. When I heard of Captain Phasma, I thought she was gonna be a bad ass storm trooper leader. In reality, it was a nothing character. Yeah, shes a captain and she has a chrome suit and looks bad ass. But outside of that....nothing. Leia is the general in charge of all the Resistance. Ray is more poweful than Kylo. What took Luke years and years to master, she had down pretty quickly. It seemed forced, no pun intended.

Finn by the end of the movie started to get annoying with the jokes. I was cool with him in the beginning and in the middle. But he started to become comic relief and not a hero.
http://www.cmshowstopper.com/ Official Webpage Of CM Showstopper

http://www.fallenangelchristopherdaniels.com Official Webpage of Christopher Daniels

Joresky

Post by Joresky » December 18th, 2015, 9:10 am

Unbelievably epic in my opinion.. I will probably see it again this weekend

djknightrida
Marked Out Master

Post by djknightrida » December 18th, 2015, 9:19 am

Joresky wrote:Unbelievably epic in my opinion.. I will probably see it again this weekend
Def not unbelievably epic. Had nearly the exact plot as New Hope.

I rank it either 4th or 5th best in entire series. Not nearly as bad as Attack of the Clones but not greatness like Jedi or Sith.

I figure a huge fan such as yourself (buys merch, makes a point to meet cast) would see it at least 2-3 times. Guess you're not as big a fan as I thought if it's just a maybe too see again.

MrTonyRuben
Marked Out Pro

Post by MrTonyRuben » December 18th, 2015, 12:01 pm

I rank it as the 3rd best of the series, with Empire and the original being better. Everything felt familiar but that was by design IMO. The first exchange between Poe & Kylo set the tone for me and didn't disappoint. It was mentioned that Luke was training multiple Jedi, but Kylo betrayed Luke and killed all the students. The lightsaber duels were different and for good reason because no one involved had been a fully trained student. Rey's character closing her eyes and getting the best of Kylo Ren was similar to how Luke turned off his targeting computer and let the force guide him to blow up the Death Star. I would have liked to have seen Luke a little more, but I was fine with his reveal being so short. It, like most trilogies, set up the next film and I can't wait for it. Daisy Ridley is a star now. Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac & John Boyega were great with their roles and Harrison Ford can still play Han Solo. I won't see it again this weekend because of work, but I will see it multiple times.

cmshowstopper
Marked Out Master

Post by cmshowstopper » December 18th, 2015, 4:00 pm

MrTonyRuben wrote:I rank it as the 3rd best of the series, with Empire and the original being better. Everything felt familiar but that was by design IMO. The first exchange between Poe & Kylo set the tone for me and didn't disappoint. It was mentioned that Luke was training multiple Jedi, but Kylo betrayed Luke and killed all the students. The lightsaber duels were different and for good reason because no one involved had been a fully trained student. Rey's character closing her eyes and getting the best of Kylo Ren was similar to how Luke turned off his targeting computer and let the force guide him to blow up the Death Star. I would have liked to have seen Luke a little more, but I was fine with his reveal being so short. It, like most trilogies, set up the next film and I can't wait for it. Daisy Ridley is a star now. Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac & John Boyega were great with their roles and Harrison Ford can still play Han Solo. I won't see it again this weekend because of work, but I will see it multiple times.
I didnt hear, but its possible I missed it, that Kylo killed the other students. I could have sworn the story was told that Kylo went crazy and Luke felt he had failed him and thats what led him into hiding. But I could be wrong.

I definitely disagree with Rey and her scene being the same as Luke. Rey not only had ZERO training, she didnt even know she was force sensitive till minutes before. How could she be so powerful or have any ability to control the force at this point?! What advantage was Luke getting on Vader before Empire? None. Even in Empire, he loses his hand and gets his ass kicked by Vader. While its clear Kylo is not as strong as Vader, Rey is no where NEAR Luke in Empire. I thought it came off very poorly.

I do agree that Ridley was really good in this movie. Osca Isaac in his limited screen time also came off very well. I quite liked his character. Boyega I was liking early on, but got annoying by the end....through no fault of his own. Driver came off as a whiny emo kid. I had high hopes for him and in the first scene he was badass. But the temper tantrums and the whining started to ruin him.

http://www.fallenangelchristopherdaniels.com Official Webpage of Christopher Daniels

MrTonyRuben
Marked Out Pro

Post by MrTonyRuben » December 19th, 2015, 1:33 am

cmshowstopper wrote:I didnt hear, but its possible I missed it, that Kylo killed the other students. I could have sworn the story was told that Kylo went crazy and Luke felt he had failed him and thats what led him into hiding. But I could be wrong.

I definitely disagree with Rey and her scene being the same as Luke. Rey not only had ZERO training, she didnt even know she was force sensitive till minutes before. How could she be so powerful or have any ability to control the force at this point?! What advantage was Luke getting on Vader before Empire? None. Even in Empire, he loses his hand and gets his ass kicked by Vader. While its clear Kylo is not as strong as Vader, Rey is no where NEAR Luke in Empire. I thought it came off very poorly.
I don't think it was the same, but I mentioned it being similar. Early in the film, it shows that Rey is very proficient in close quarters combat with her staff so that can translate with a lightsaber. Her being force sensitive was shown when the lightsaber was calling to her and when she held it for the first time, she was having visions and flashbacks of being abandoned (perhaps she was a student or tapped to be one when Kylo betrayed Luke...I'll be able to confirm this on 2nd viewing), seeing Luke power down R2 and then seeing Kylo and the other Knights on the planet. Once she started to accept & believe, she was able to focus (use Jedi Mind Trick, being able to pull the lightsaber away from Kylo). Kylo even mentions that when she started to test her abilities, she would become even more powerful, so they needed to find her quickly. Also, Kylo was badly hurt after killing Han...he was shot in the stomach by Chewie and Finn was even able to land a strike on him with the lightsaber. Factoring in all these things, I do think it's believable that Rey could have bested Kylo the way she did.

mrira
Marked Out Master

Post by mrira » December 20th, 2015, 8:19 am

Kylo & Rey sort of looked alike so I was thinking they'll eventually reveal they're either siblings or cousins. It would make more sense that Luke at a secret female student who he had an affair, the student ended up pregnant & that was Rey. I was wondering if in movie 8 or 9 they'll bring Han, Yoda,Obi Wan or Anakin/Vader (guess it be Hayden Christensen) back as ghosts.

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » December 20th, 2015, 9:40 pm

I have some minor issues with parts of the script, but overall I found it superbly entertaining. Did not disappoint one bit. DJ, ANY film with Hayden Christensen as a lead is automatically shit, he's that bad. I've heard complaints that it followed the same structure as A New Hope, yeah well, that's kind of the point, is it not? JJ is reintroducing the series to the massives, many of whom, like me, were disgruntled and had given up on the franchise. I was so disgusted I gave up NYCC combos with Mark and Carrie and Anthony 4/5 years ago.

Special effects looked incredible, both CGI and model and creature, far better than Lucas's CGI throw up in the prequels. The art direction was astounding. Lack of lens flares and shaky cam very welcome changes from JJ's past projects. Acting was great. Injokes and comedy I felt was just right, not over the top, and not devoid like the prequels.

I do lament the basic absence of Mark Hamill in the film. I know he'll feature in episode VIII, but after 30+ years, should have had him at least SAY something! Harrison Ford was fantastic, didn't lose a step, and it's very sad to see his character go, but the death I think was right for the series, and in line with the past trilogies. Plus I really doubted Ford was going to sign on for significant screen time in 3 films. He finally got his wish!

New characters: I thought the exuberation from Finn and Poe was a tad over the top and goofy, but otherwise enjoyed their arrivals. Daisy/Rey definitely guided the film as the new Luke. Kylo/Driver I think was very good, although the whole bratty/whiny thing is something even Lucas failed with Anakin/Hayden.

In conclusion, I don't think JJ and Lawrence Kasdan could have done a better job with the task at hand. It's quite interesting how the Disney buy out coincided with the rise to stature and success of Abrams. I'm not sure if another director could have done the film in this way.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » December 20th, 2015, 9:51 pm

I loved the movie and it's definitely a contender for my favorite Star Wars movie ever. In my opinion, it most definitely blows the prequels out of the water.
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

cmshowstopper
Marked Out Master

Post by cmshowstopper » December 21st, 2015, 12:45 am

Abrams has been addressing some questions concerning SWFA since its release.

He said the reason Luke only appears at the end of a few seconds is because he wanted the movie to be a vehicle to introduce the new characters and have the audience bond with them. He felt as soon as Luke appeared, the new characters would become scenery and no one would care cuz they would have not had any investment into them. Makes sense....but I still wanted more Luke.

He also explained that R2 didnt just wake up all of the sudden. He said R2 was in low power mode, but could still hear all that was being said around him. He said R2 was in a depression, missing Luke and had no desire to awake till Luke returned for him. But when BB8 mentioned to R2 he had this missing piece of a map that would lead to Luke, R2 remembered that from New Hope, he had downloaded a map when trying to save Luke, Han and Leia and it was missing a piece. He powered back up to see if the 2 pieces would actually lead to somewhere. I find this explanation sort of weak. How exactly would this map from 38 years ago lead to Luke now?

Also did anyone else realize that Ewan McGregor, Alec Guiness voices both were in the movie, as well as Yoda without any lines appeared? I did not.