Batman v. Superman - Dawn of Justice DISCUSSION w/ SPOILERS

Discuss movies you've seen or want to see
WOODMO
Site Admin

Batman v. Superman - Dawn of Justice DISCUSSION w/ SPOILERS

Post by WOODMO » March 25th, 2016, 10:09 am

Well, I saw Batman v Superman last night with my friends, and overall I enjoyed it. I will breakdown a few finer thought I had.

The script I thought was solid. It wasn't anything stellar, but are the Avenger movies? They all rely on cliches and fight scenes to flesh out a superficial plot, this was no different. Pretty much what I expected.

Ben Affleck was a great Batman. The Bruce Wayne character was much stronger than Christian Bale's, and the "Batman in the suit" edge I would also give to Ben, but that is at least debatable. The only weak moments were more script related, such as his 180 change on wanting to kill Superman, just because both of their mothers' names were Martha.

Jesse Eisenberg was a weird Lex Luther. I don't like Superman enough to be familiar with the tone of these villains, so I am not sure how close this was to characters of the past. For anyone who watches Once Upon a Time, the first few scenes he really reminded me of Rumpelstiltskin, but he got away from that as the movie went on. He was weird, but kind of Joker-ish. I thought he was good, but I don't know if he was good as Luther.

Henry Cavill was good like he was in the first movie. He plays the role well, even if the Superman character is one of my least favorite.

Gal Gadot looked good, I think they found a winner there.

oldschoolwwwf
Marked Out Master

Re: Batman v. Superman - Dawn of Justice DISCUSSION w/ SPOIL

Post by oldschoolwwwf » March 25th, 2016, 10:29 am

Liked the movie, didnt love it...marvel movies are just better...I think Avengers 1&2, Winter Soldier was miles ahead of this one...and I think Cap 3 will crush this..there is just something about DC v Marvel movies where marvel movies I walk out saying wow...I thought I would here but while I enjoyed it, it didnt wow me..

Very man of Steel ish in overall tone..

I really liked lex, loved Wonder Woman..liked the grizzled Batman that Affleck played..

Movie too long at 2 hrs 30 mins..trying to do too much but at same time, some slow parts too...could have maybe broken this up in two movies..

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » March 25th, 2016, 10:43 am

oldschoolwwwf wrote:Liked the movie, didnt love it...marvel movies are just better...I think Avengers 1&2, Winter Soldier was miles ahead of this one...and I think Cap 3 will crush this..there is just something about DC v Marvel movies where marvel movies I walk out saying wow...I thought I would here but while I enjoyed it, it didnt wow me..

Very man of Steel ish in overall tone..

I really liked lex, loved Wonder Woman..liked the grizzled Batman that Affleck played..

Movie too long at 2 hrs 30 mins..trying to do too much but at same time, some slow parts too...could have maybe broken this up in two movies..
I would put this over all Iron Man movies.

The Avengers, I guess have more wow type moments, script wise I feel like I would put this above them, but I may just be biased because it's fresher in my mind. I came out of the theater happy after all 3 movies, so I don't know. I liked the struggle between grizzled Batman and young Superman. I feel like the Avengers are less personal, more spot fests.

I didn't love Winter Solider as much as some, not sure why. It was good, but that one didn't wow me either. Felt like I was watching a Bourne/Superhero hybrid that wasn't Bourne enough or hero enough, so it was a little underwhelming, but I totally expect Cap3 to beat this one though.

Joresky

Post by Joresky » March 25th, 2016, 10:57 am

I'm planning on seeing this on Sunday.. I've been looking forward to this movie for a while but I was dismayed to see so many bad reviews... I do see the Rotten Tomatoes user scores are over 70% while the critical response is 30%... guess i'm kind of hopeful still especially since Woodmo seemed to enjoy it

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » March 25th, 2016, 11:06 am

Joresky wrote:I'm planning on seeing this on Sunday.. I've been looking forward to this movie for a while but I was dismayed to see so many bad reviews... I do see the Rotten Tomatoes user scores are over 70% while the critical response is 30%... guess i'm kind of hopeful still especially since Woodmo seemed to enjoy it
The audience actually applauded 3 different times, so it seems the fans are feeling differently from the critics. The fan-score on Rotten Tomatoes last night was in the 70s.

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » March 25th, 2016, 11:22 am

Havent seen it yet but feel the dreams sound like could be easily cut

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » March 25th, 2016, 11:23 am

lanza218 wrote:Havent seen it yet but feel the dreams sound like could be easily cut
Yeah, I applaud the theory of putting in a deeper layer than these movies typically have, but I am not sure they hit with me. I think that execution kind of missed.

Joresky

Post by Joresky » March 25th, 2016, 11:38 am

WOODMO wrote:
Joresky wrote:I'm planning on seeing this on Sunday.. I've been looking forward to this movie for a while but I was dismayed to see so many bad reviews... I do see the Rotten Tomatoes user scores are over 70% while the critical response is 30%... guess i'm kind of hopeful still especially since Woodmo seemed to enjoy it
The audience actually applauded 3 different times, so it seems the fans are feeling differently from the critics. The fan-score on Rotten Tomatoes last night was in the 70s.
:yes: :yes: :yes: I'm very happy to hear that because I am really looking forward to this movie.. I'll definitely let you guys know what I thought about it when I see it this weekend :hellyeah:

oldschoolwwwf
Marked Out Master

Post by oldschoolwwwf » March 25th, 2016, 1:19 pm

well, if woodmo liked it, that must mean its good!!!

mrira
Marked Out King

Post by mrira » March 25th, 2016, 10:23 pm

I enjoyed the movie, but not as much as the marvel movies like most said. I'm not a huge DC fan & not sure if all the heroes, so who was that last hero Wonder Woman saw the video of after Flash & Aquaman?

Gumby
Marked Out Pro

Post by Gumby » March 26th, 2016, 2:22 am

who was that last hero Wonder Woman saw the video of after Flash & Aquaman?
Cyborg.

Affleck's Batman is marvelous. Best Batman since Michael Keaton.

crowbar
Marked Out King

Post by crowbar » March 26th, 2016, 6:12 am

I thought this movie was fine. I think I liked it more than the last avengers though. Lex Luther was fucking ridiculous. The dream sequences were such bait and switches.. And the introduction of Justice League came out of NOWHERE.. Seemed like they edited that in after the fact. I did enjoy the third act but it was a LONG slog tobget there

djknightrida
Marked Out Master

Re: Batman v. Superman - Dawn of Justice DISCUSSION w/ SPOILERS

Post by djknightrida » March 27th, 2016, 9:06 am

Easily the worst superhero movie since Catwomen. Feel like those who enjoyed have absolutely zero idea of what constitutes a plot or good.

Not saying there weren't good things in the movie as Ben was a great Bruce, overall it was the shittiest movie I've seen in a decade.
:dj:

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » March 27th, 2016, 9:35 am

djknightrida wrote:Easily the worst superhero movie since Catwomen. Feel like those who enjoyed have absolutely zero idea of what constitutes a plot or good.
Not enough :swoon:

I know you're trolling, but you watch the same average superhero movies 13 times, while failing to watch the majority of films that are actually heralded for having good plots even once, so I had to chuckle at the film snob routine.

djknightrida
Marked Out Master

Post by djknightrida » March 27th, 2016, 1:27 pm

Not at all actually. BvS was more of a turd than class is prone to mailing.
:dj: