Batman v. Superman - Dawn of Justice DISCUSSION w/ SPOILERS

Discuss movies you've seen or want to see
lanza218
Site Admin

Re: Batman v. Superman - Dawn of Justice DISCUSSION w/ SPOILERS

Post by lanza218 » March 27th, 2016, 1:37 pm

FYI still havent seen but im sure the Martha connection has alot to do with some religious overtone as well

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » March 27th, 2016, 2:22 pm

djknightrida wrote:Not at all actually. BvS was more of a turd than class is prone to mailing.
Not saying your dislike of it is trolling, you're entitled to that opinion. But I bet you haven't seen even two movies nominated for ANY best picture category of any awards, so us liking it while you don't isn't because we don't know good plots, it's just a difference of opinion.

djknightrida
Marked Out Master

Post by djknightrida » March 27th, 2016, 4:23 pm

Yup I've never seen any award nominated films. :rofl1: Son I own more movies than you've seen. Please troll elsewhere. :outragewood:
:dj:

cmshowstopper
Marked Out Master

Post by cmshowstopper » March 27th, 2016, 5:32 pm

I had extremely low expectations for this movie initially. I was VERY wrong. I thought I would leave the theater underwhelmed and ho hum. Instead I left it feeling cheated.

I love DC Comics. I have been a long time reader. As a kid, I loved Batman. As I got older though, I kind of drifted away from Batman....only Knightfall and the subsequent AzBat and KnightsEnd were appealing to me. Still love Jean Paul Valley. But I truly enjoyed the Bale films. I didnt think they were as great as most people called them....but they were good. I thought it was a nice dark, more adult and real feel to the Batman character. I thought Bale was moody....which I enjoyed when he was Batman, but didnt as Bruce Wayne. He seemed to lack any of Bruce's character traits.

I was excited about Man of Steel when it was announced. Cavill is a great superman. He isnt Christopher Reeves....but hey, he looks damn good in the suit, has the look and I think he pulls off Supes really well, where his Clark is a bit lacking. Reeves was stellar as Clark, as was Brandon Routh. Unfortunately, I was tragically let down by this film. I felt Superman was nothing more than a co-star in the film and Henry didnt get enough lines. He had screen time....but not much to say, as Supes or Clark. My biggest issue with the movie though was Zack Snyder. The end battle scene was AWFUL. Superman would NEVER destroy Metropolis was no regard to the citizens living there. The climax was full of cgi, explosions, destruction and just overblown chaos just because he wanted to. It was both unwarranted and pandering. It truly ruined the movie that was only average at best at that point. The positives were the casting. Shannon as Zod, Cavill as Supes, Costner as Jonathan and Diane Lane (who is still bangable) as Martha....and unlike others, I liked Amy Adams as Lois. I NEVER liked Margot Kidder as Lois. I think it was her smoky voice.

Fast forward to Ben Affleck being announced as the new Batman. I absolutely HATED this casting. I thought there was no way Affleck could do it justice. Not that he isnt a great actor....but that he doesnt have the right look or the right personality to pull of Batman and would be a below average Bruce Wayne.

Also, Ezra Miller as Flash? Amell currently not attached as Green Arrow? Chris Pine would NOT be Green Lantern? WTF?! Now I am MORE than ok Gustin and Amell are not there.

So now Dawn of Justice has arrived. I read some reviews, just for shits and giggles. Most of what I read from critics tore this movie apart. What I read from people on my FB feed was how epic it was and it was amazing. Lets just say....they were both wrong.

To call this Superman vs. Batman Dawn of Justice a sequel to Man of Steel is just flat out lying to the audience. Lets call this what it is.....Batman. Ben Affleck DOMINATED the screen time. The moment they rehashed his entire origin story, I knew that was the direction this movie was going. The fact that Superman doesnt even appear, outside of the flashback from Bruce's POV, until about 40 mins. in is ridiculous. Speaking of time....2.5hrs was absurd for this movie. I cant tell you how many times I checked my watch, in hopes that it was almost over. Sadly...time just ticked so slowly.

Zack Snyder has crapped all over the DC cinematic universe. I would love to watch him die a 2.5 hr death is the midst of a freak overblown cgi accident! The plot has SO many holes in it, I dont know where to even start nor do I have the time to sit and type it all up. The condensed version or the biggest issue I have is the conflict with Batman and Superman makes ZERO sense. I thought the scene in the desert where Superman rescues Lois was going to be used as setup to show how dangerous Superman could be. Maybe the destruction of Metropolis from Man of Steel would be what Snyder was looking to develop as a plot point. Is Superman too dangerous for the world? For all the good he does....at what cost, at what number of innocent lives are lost? Instead, what I got was Batman basically having an emotional breakdown cuz Superman was stealing all the spotlight all of the sudden. Batman says Superman is too powerful and has to be held accountable. He has no regard for innocent life. Yet, the dude is running around branding fucking people, spraying bullets all over the place, attacking the police, driving like a lunatic through Gotham...all the while acting holier than thou. Batman came across as a complete and utter hypocrite with issues of jealousy.

As far as how Batman looked....bloated is the best way to describe it. Affleck clearly put on some muscle for this role....too much. Why does Batman look like The Rock in his suit? This Batman was slow with no agility whatsoever. No wonder the dude has a machine gun. Snyder obviously was presenting a slightly older Batman...late30s, mid 40s. Somewhere in that range for age. Ok. But then you have Alfred with his horrible fake accent probably in his mid 40s to early 50s. How can Alfred be about the same age as Bruce?! AND....he was more of a Bruce sidekick than he was a confidant or butler. I didnt see this guy fetch a fucking martini once. At one point, I fully expected him to arrive via one Batman's toys with his own cape and mask and a rocket launcher.

We finally get a little Henry Cavill, though I felt we got more Amy Adams than Henry. Once again....he has a lack of speaking and doesnt seem to ever have anything dramatic or heroic to say. Snyder presents him as grunting neanderthal. Is this done on purpose to cover up Cavill's lack of acting skills? Is Snyder so enamored with the way he fills out the suit....he really wish he could CGI voice dub him?

I think the biggest black mark on the casting was Jesse Eisenberg. Granted, at the end with his head shaven, he looked fantastic as Lex Luthor. BUT....if they didnt refer to him as Lex, I would have never known. He retains ZERO of Lex's personality traits. Cool, cocky, arrogant, elitist Lex....no. Instead we got a bi polar goof trying to do his best Heath Ledger as Joker impression. I fully expected Eisenberg to pull a double swerve, ripping off his mask and revealing the painted face of the Joker. He would have made a good one. As we all know....DC has the multiverse. So Suicide Squad is a different earth, as is Arrow, as is Bale's Batman as is this shit storm.

As in Man of Steel, the end leaves us with another overblown, preposterous cgi extravaganza! Destroy EVERYTHING!!! Eventhough, Batman has been preaching the entire 2hrs beforehand on why Superman must be stopped. He gets in on the fun and the Justice League destroys all of the Gotham this time.....INCLUDING SETTING OFF A NUCLEAR BOMB! :facepalm:

The epic confrontation between Batman and Superman is HORRIFIC. For those who never read Frank Miller's Dark Knight, Batman's Iron Man suit....is pretty dead on from the comic. However, the treating of Superman was a second rate citizen is not. Why in the hell are you having Batman kick Superman's ass all over the place?! Superman is being portrayed as a weak link, incapable of beating a bloated rich kid and his toys.

Color me more than shocked when I saw Doomsday appear. I did not realize he was going to show up. And I certainly didnt think it was going to be because the Joke....Lex used the body of Zod to create a science experiment and make Doomsday. WTF?! And once again, Snyder portrays Superman as the weak link since Wonder Woman didnt seem to have much issue handing out an ass whooping. Her lasso seemed to keep Doomsday in check. Hell, she must have seduced Steve Rogers to borrow his vibrainum shield to use too. This to me was nothing more than pandering to a female audience in order to present a female character as strong as a male character, if not stronger. Speaking of Wonder Woman....did you spot her invisible jet in Gotham? Sadly, it was destroyed but not because of the climatic flight....no, bc as a typical woman, she had couldnt handle the damn thing and crashed it. :cop: Alright, that was harsh. It probably was just fine after the fight....but then Batman decided he didnt shoot his machine gun enough so he just started spraying bullets all over the place, blowing it up and then pointing at Superman....it was his fault. SEE!!!!

While, I enjoyed casting from Man Of Steel....I felt one minor character really went off into left field....Perry White. Fishburne does a fine job as White. Until we see him going from the Perry White who is obsessed with Superman stories and selling newspapers to a guy who is more concerned about how the Metropolis Little Leaguers are doing. Why else would be all over Clark's ass about the sports? And why is the random chick writing the Superman story, while Lois is on the sidelines?! Perry always had Lois work on those because she was the only one who was able to get close to Superman to get the scoop....the interview. Just annoying.

Finally, the ending. Doomsday is known for being the character that killed Superman. One of the most haunting panels I have ever read in comics. At that point in time in comics, you just didnt kill characters like that...it was unheard of. But because we know this clearly isnt following the comics, while depending on Miller's adaptation as the only resource, I figured the battle would end with Superman waking up in Lois's arms....cuz this movie sets up the Justice League, which Superman is the top dog. I heard kids in the theater cry out to their mothers...."is Superman dead?" Of course not mothers responded. Watch...he will get up. 20 minutes later, we see Lois dumping dirt on his casket in the ground. You killed Superman. :smh: While, the death of Superman at the hands of Doomsday is something I would normally have no issue with....you made this version of Doomsday, just another big villain that was somewhat easily defeated, but took Superman with him.

Spoiler alert....want to know who loses the epic battle of Superman vs. Batman.....ITS US!!!! The audience....we lose. Consider this a 250million dollar tombstone in the DC cinematic universe. Thank you Zack Snyder. Thank you for making every fucking superhero movie including the atrocities of the FF4, Iron Man 2 and every other super hero movie that will come out....INSTANTLY better. Not because it raised the ceiling.....but we now know what the fucking basement looks like.
http://www.cmshowstopper.com/ Official Webpage Of CM Showstopper

http://www.fallenangelchristopherdaniels.com Official Webpage of Christopher Daniels

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » March 27th, 2016, 7:00 pm

djknightrida wrote:Yup I've never seen any award nominated films. :rofl1: Son I own more movies than you've seen. Please troll elsewhere. :outragewood:
I never said ever, but from 2015. Which best 2015 picture nominees have you seen?

Also, my Blu Ray collection sits at 974, so don't be so sure you own more than me, let alone more than I watched!!! :crayira:

crowbar
Marked Out King

Post by crowbar » March 27th, 2016, 7:15 pm

I really don't get the hate. The movie was fine.

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » March 27th, 2016, 7:23 pm

crowbar wrote:I really don't get the hate. The movie was fine.
Agreed.

Jay, of course they were going to put Batman above Superman. This movie was about setting up the universe, and we already knew Superman, this was an introduction to Batman. I get perhaps the V. was exaggerated in the marketing campaign, but I didn't buy my ticket to see Batman and Superman fight, so I wasn't disappointed.

crowbar
Marked Out King

Post by crowbar » March 27th, 2016, 7:53 pm

Yes and I feel that people were going to absolutely love or hate this movie since these are two huge characters. I haven't seen any reviews that are down the middle..

cmshowstopper
Marked Out Master

Post by cmshowstopper » March 27th, 2016, 11:18 pm

WOODMO wrote:
crowbar wrote:I really don't get the hate. The movie was fine.
Agreed.

Jay, of course they were going to put Batman above Superman. This movie was about setting up the universe, and we already knew Superman, this was an introduction to Batman. I get perhaps the V. was exaggerated in the marketing campaign, but I didn't buy my ticket to see Batman and Superman fight, so I wasn't disappointed.
This was dubbed a Superman sequel. It was not the introduction to the Justice League. Ultimately, they added that as a sub plot....but since the movie was announced, it was announced as a sequel to Man Of Steel. I expected to see MORE of Cavill and less of Affleck. I certainly did not expect to see another fucking origin story on Batman.

Civil War, by the trailers looks less like Cap 3 and more like Avengers 3. Russos have confirmed that this is CLEARLY a Cap movie and not an Avengers movie. They stated that when you are done watching, you will know that you just watched a Cap movie and not an Avengers movie. I expect that and I expected the same for BvsS.

I didnt buy a ticket to see the fight either. You know that wasnt going to be the main plot. That was just a way to put these characters together. I wanted to see a Superman sequel, see how Supes would interact with Batman and WW and the other Justice League members. Which.....you know there was ZERO need to cast the other members. You almost never see any of them. Completely worthless. They could have had the Luthor data files to be sufficient to take the next step. It was just another needless addition to try and make it bigger. Its fucking Superman and Batman....what else do you need?

I really wanted DC to get on the right track. But their lack of continuity, direction, over exaggerating Zack Snyder, making it more about the collision than the characters...is why DC gets bitch slapped by Marvel on the big screen. Whats funny is not only the formula been laid out by Marvel, its executed by DC on television. Take what you are doing on tv and put on the big screen with the bigger budget.

The one thing SvB was great at was casting. I thought these actors really did the best they could with the turd they were handed. The only one I despised was Eisenberg because of HOW he played Luthor. It made zero sense.....oh and the guy who played Alfred was awful too.
http://www.cmshowstopper.com/ Official Webpage Of CM Showstopper

http://www.fallenangelchristopherdaniels.com Official Webpage of Christopher Daniels

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » March 28th, 2016, 7:29 am

Personally I watched it for Batman. I only saw Man of Steel last week because I now needed to catch up for Batman. I find the Superman character dull, too powerful, etc. As a character he doesn't do much for me even though Cavill does a fine job.

I never thought it was going to be a true Superman sequel. They wanted to introduce Batman before the Batman movie so this was a good chance to work in the origin story and establish the character.

crowbar
Marked Out King

Post by crowbar » March 28th, 2016, 8:31 am

I know it was initially slated as a Man of Steel.. however.. they clearly changed that when introducing both BATMAN and JUSTICE in the title... making it partially about Batman and partially about the inception of the Justice League. I did feel the scene introducing the Justice League characters was really out of place, but at the same time, it was kind of cool.

Joresky

Post by Joresky » March 28th, 2016, 11:14 am

I freakin loved it... yes no movie is perfect and there will always be critics but I enjoyed this one... Affleck is my 2nd favorite movie Batman right after Michael Keaton.. here are a list of my favorite movie/TV Batman actors... (1) Michael Keaton, (2) Ben Affleck, (3) Christian Bale, (4) Val Kilmer, (5) Adam West, (6) George Clooney

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » March 28th, 2016, 11:47 am

Affleck was tremendous. I have sky high expectations for his directed Batman solo film. Ben is easily one of the best Directors working today and he will do a great job making Batman gritty and compelling.

djknightrida
Marked Out Master

Post by djknightrida » March 28th, 2016, 2:04 pm

WOODMO wrote:
Also, my Blu Ray collection sits at 974, so don't be so sure you own more than me, let alone more than I watched!!! :crayira:
I'm not getting into a pissing match man. Clearly our opinions differ. I just wanted to note that my collection hasn't been that small since college. Damn it's my 10 year anniversary #old :SIGH1: :distraught:

I have no idea how many 2015 nominees I've seen. I know I still need to see Whiplash but just haven't bought it yet.
:dj:

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » March 28th, 2016, 2:38 pm

djknightrida wrote:
WOODMO wrote:
I'm not getting into a pissing match man. Clearly our opinions differ. I just wanted to note that my collection hasn't been that small since college. Damn it's my 10 year anniversary #old :SIGH1: :distraught:

I have no idea how many 2015 nominees I've seen. I know I still need to see Whiplash but just haven't bought it yet.
I wasn't trying to have a pissing contest either. You just said if you like it, you don't know good movies, yet I hear about you seeing Marvel movies 12 times, never the new Daniel Day Lewis film 9 times. We are both entitled to different opinions, never said otherwise. I just wanted to bust your balls over the "I know good movies, because I hated this" comment.

Also, Whiplash was 2014. I haven't seen it either.