Four Avatar Sequels in the Works

Discuss movies you've seen or want to see
Joresky

Four Avatar Sequels in the Works

Post by Joresky »

photoavatar.jpg
photoavatar.jpg (60.71 KiB) Viewed 5489 times
Fox ended its Thursday CinemaCon presentation with a surprise guest: James Cameron.

He announced that there will be four Avatar sequels, not the three previously planned. “We have decided to embark on a truly massive cinematic process,” he said.

Cameron said as he was planning the three sequels, he found it limiting. “We began to bump up against the limitations for our art form,” he said, explaining that he decided he would need more sequels to tell the whole story.

He said each of the four sequels will be able to stand alone, but will together create a saga. His goal is to release Avatar 2 at Christmas 2018 and the a new film in 2020, 2021 and 2022.

“I’ve been working the last couple of years with a team of four top screenwriters,” he said, “to design the world of Avatar going forward: The characters, the creatures, the environment, the new cultures.”

“So far, the art I’m seeing, is in pure imagination, really far beyond the first film,” he said. “It’s going to be a true epic saga.”

The 2009 film earned $2.8 billion worldwide.

Cameron also spoke at length in support of the theatrical experience.

“So together, we’re going to continue to make this industry the greatest show on earth. That’s what we do,” he said to strong applause.

James Cameron also slammed the Screening Room, saying “I think it’s absolutely essential for movies to be offered exclusively in theaters on their their initial release. So boom.“
Greg2600
Site Admin

Re: Four Avatar Sequels in the Works

Post by Greg2600 »

Incredible waste, hardly anyone wants ONE sequel let alone four.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast
crowbar
Marked Out King

Post by crowbar »

Hard to get excited for stuff coming in 3-6 years
WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO »

I am interested. He's been working on this for YEARS, I feel like he's created enough layers when you will need all the sequels to express it. But it is hard to get excited about something so far away.
Gumby
Marked Out King

Post by Gumby »

Incredible waste
There's 2.8 billion reasons why it isn't.

Avatar was phenomenal and James Cameron is a genius with a track record of success that is more than proven.