Captain America Civil War: SPOILERS!

Discuss movies you've seen or want to see
cmshowstopper
Marked Out Master

Captain America Civil War: SPOILERS!

Post by cmshowstopper » May 6th, 2016, 11:52 pm

This thread will be free discussion for the Cap movie. So those who have seen it can speak openly without spoiling for others.

Previously Winter Soldier was my all time favorite Marvel movie. Really felt it had the best action/story of all the movies. I like the mystery needing to be revealed and they did a great job. Civil War has topped it. I've been stoked for Civil War, but concerned. Concerned that this wasnt a true Cap movie and that there was just too much going on. Happily, Russo brothers did a fanfuckingtastic job! When you watched Civil War, there was ZERO doubt that this was a Cap movie that happen to integrate other characters and they did it flawlessly.

The story topped Winter Soldier for me. Mostly because there was a plot within the plot that you dont realize or at least I did not....till the end. I thought this movie was about The Avengers divide and accountability. And it was....but there happen to another side plot, which I just NEVER saw coming.....Winter Soldier being responsible for Stark's parent's death. They tease it throughout the whole film and yet....never put it together till the end. I thought the video was being shown simply to remind the audience of Winter Soldier's previous life working for Hydra. In fact, it wasnt until the second showing I saw last night, that I put together that Howard Stark DID in fact replicate the super soldier serum from Erksine and THATS what was used to create those other soldiers. Clearly the formula wasnt right or was not administered right, as these guys all went bat shit crazy. The entire plot had a very Bourne Identity feel to it, especially when you combined the action.

Action....WOW! Absolutely off the hook. I had a fucking boner over the airport scene. So cool to see these heroes battle one another and then switch off. Amazing choreorgraphy, storytelling in action and cgi. Bravo! The action scenes are ESPECIALLY awesome in IMAX. Saw a screener on Wed. and loved it. Saw IMAX on Thursday....REALLY FELT like I was there. I can remember ducking a couple of times. Some scenes in IMAX also show extreme depth that really made me feel like I was in the same room with these characters and was watching them.

Costumes were awesome. Falcon got a massive upgrade and had the best technology. Cap was pretty on point like he was in Ultron. Bucky was on point for Winter Soldier and did a good job of doing the Bourne dissappearance. Elizabeth Olsen was looking especially ripe in this film. Her gear at the airport was on point. Black Panther looked amazing. Chadwick was awesome. Marvel outdid themselves with him. Had no real interest in Black Panther movie before....but after seeing Chadwick and what Marvel did for Panther....I'm on board. Maybe the only one I didnt think was perfect would be Spiderman. More on that later.

Chemistry was perfect. Evans/Downey had some great moments. I think my favorite duo on screen though was Stan/Mackie. They played perfectly off of one another. I expected them to start fighting over who was Rogers' true best friend.

Humor was solid. There wasnt anything over the top. It was subtle and worked in the movie. It didnt take away from the film or attempt to be funnier unnecessarily. My favorite funny moment was the Bucky asking Sam to movie his seat up and Sam saying no...Bucky then slides over to Steve's side in the backseat. Words werent made it funny....the execution and expressions of both Stan and Mackie did.

My favorite CGI moment was Downey's MIT project. Seeing younger Robert Downey Jr all over again on film was simply amazing. To have older Downey Jr standing next to his younger version was truly mesmerizing. And it was a very cool and unexpected moment.

There isnt much I didnt like. Though, I felt Vision was out of place. I know Vision/Scarlett Witch had a romance in the comics, but on screen it seems VERY weird. First Vision seems like he is VERY old, while Witch is maybe 18 at best. So it had a creepy factor. Never really been a Vision fan and I was glad to see he was mostly limited in the movie.

Last thing I didnt like was Tom Holland's Spiderman. I know this is gonna be met with mostly pushback, but I when I heard Spidey would be apart of Civil War, I was hoping it was gonna be a more...you know, not so prepubescent. Marissa Tomei is a horrible casting for Aunt May. It made for some funny jokes by Downey, but a complete miscast. I think Holland looks the part of a YOUNG Peter Parker. In fact, the Spidey costume felt very old school/comic like and looked great on screen. Holland did a fantastic job. However, I just wanted a more heroic Spidey to be apart of the Avengers. Its almost like Holland's Spidey should have come out, had a sequel and THEN move into Avengers. I feel like you would have seen a more organic evolution, much like you see from Gustin and his Barry Allen. Holland is a huge upgrade from Garfield, which made no sense. I think he will excel in his own vehicle and I do think he will evolve just like Gustin. He had some memorable moments.

Civil War is the best flick I have seen this year. Its about as close to perfect of a movie that I have seen as far as delivering on so many aspects and coming up short in SO VERY LITTLE. The Russos have reinvented the wheel.
http://www.cmshowstopper.com/ Official Webpage Of CM Showstopper

http://www.fallenangelchristopherdaniels.com Official Webpage of Christopher Daniels

Gumby
Marked Out King

Re: Captain America Civil War: SPOILERS!

Post by Gumby » May 7th, 2016, 2:35 am

Great film!
I know Vision/Scarlett Witch had a romance in the comics, but on screen it seems VERY weird.
It's supposed to seem weird. She's fucking the toaster.
Marissa Tomei is a horrible casting for Aunt May.
Marrissa Tomei is never horrible casting. Look, we are all used to seeing an old and grey Aunt May but women are maintaining their good looks longer than they used to. It's just another way of updating the mythos to make it modern.
I just wanted a more heroic Spidey to be apart of the Avengers.
He was plenty heroic and besides, as he says in the movie, he's only been at it for six months.

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » May 7th, 2016, 10:04 am

I really enjoyed it. I just want to preface what I am about to say, it was an extremely fun watch and it was very well done.

Now, I think many people over-hype these movies. This may make me more critical subconsciously.

Personally, I have never put a Marvel movie on any of the "top 10 films of the year" lists. To me, no film that relies so heavily on CGI and fight scenes can really be argued by my personal definition of a movie of the year type of film. That is just what I look for in a "great" movie, not saying anyone else has to share that opinion.

These movies are tremendous event experiences, which I am almost always among the opening night audience to enjoy. Basically, it's like comparing an AMAZING episode of Monday Night Raw to an episode of Breaking Bad. Both can be extremely entertaining, but one relies on action and convoluted drama to reach that. Another is expertly crafted and leaves a mark on you for months or years to come.

Now that I explained how I classify these films, I think this film was great. I liked it much more than Winter Soldier and the story was stronger than the Avenger films.

Editing wise, I personally feel these films can tell the story in a more concise manner. They don't all need to be 2 1/2 hours, there are always the inevitable moments where I find myself wondering how much time is left until the movie is over, when a fight scene just turns into a spot-fest. This film flowed much better than many, I was engaged throughout and felt most everything mattered and had some meaning.

Ant-Man stole the fight scene for me. Second was Spiderman, since I was extremely excited to see the new Peter Parker. I get what CM is saying about his age, but they wanted this movie to serve as a different origin story of sorts. We've all seen the spider bite thing enough by now, but now we got to see Spiderman become an Avenger. We saw a kid who was still feeling out his powers, thrust into an epic battle and come out of the other side with allies and a new found experience. This will allow the next movie to jump right into the next journey for Spiderman. The character is not meant to be like Affleck's Batman, where it's one grizzled veteran coming after another. I think the Stark/Parker mentor type relationship is going to have some meaning going forward. We always saw that with the gadget he had.

This definitely felt like a Cap movie, which was a great thing. I am also glad they didn't kill him, since it at least keeps possibilities open. Very enjoyable, and this might end up being the action movie of the year.

cmshowstopper
Marked Out Master

Post by cmshowstopper » May 7th, 2016, 4:14 pm

Gumby wrote:Great film!
I know Vision/Scarlett Witch had a romance in the comics, but on screen it seems VERY weird.
It's supposed to seem weird. She's fucking the toaster.
Marissa Tomei is a horrible casting for Aunt May.
Marrissa Tomei is never horrible casting. Look, we are all used to seeing an old and grey Aunt May but women are maintaining their good looks longer than they used to. It's just another way of updating the mythos to make it modern.
I just wanted a more heroic Spidey to be apart of the Avengers.
He was plenty heroic and besides, as he says in the movie, he's only been at it for six months.
Modernizing is one thing....but what are we to believe Uncle Ben looks like....George Clooney?! Dont like it. Love Tomei...not for May.

Exactly my point. We get a Spiderman in his VERY early days. That works for the first Spiderman movie. I would have preferred to see the more heroic/experienced Spiderman. One that at least has pubes.

WOODMO wrote:I really enjoyed it. I just want to preface what I am about to say, it was an extremely fun watch and it was very well done.

Now, I think many people over-hype these movies. This may make me more critical subconsciously.

Personally, I have never put a Marvel movie on any of the "top 10 films of the year" lists. To me, no film that relies so heavily on CGI and fight scenes can really be argued by my personal definition of a movie of the year type of film. That is just what I look for in a "great" movie, not saying anyone else has to share that opinion.

These movies are tremendous event experiences, which I am almost always among the opening night audience to enjoy. Basically, it's like comparing an AMAZING episode of Monday Night Raw to an episode of Breaking Bad. Both can be extremely entertaining, but one relies on action and convoluted drama to reach that. Another is expertly crafted and leaves a mark on you for months or years to come.

Now that I explained how I classify these films, I think this film was great. I liked it much more than Winter Soldier and the story was stronger than the Avenger films.

Editing wise, I personally feel these films can tell the story in a more concise manner. They don't all need to be 2 1/2 hours, there are always the inevitable moments where I find myself wondering how much time is left until the movie is over, when a fight scene just turns into a spot-fest. This film flowed much better than many, I was engaged throughout and felt most everything mattered and had some meaning.

Ant-Man stole the fight scene for me. Second was Spiderman, since I was extremely excited to see the new Peter Parker. I get what CM is saying about his age, but they wanted this movie to serve as a different origin story of sorts. We've all seen the spider bite thing enough by now, but now we got to see Spiderman become an Avenger. We saw a kid who was still feeling out his powers, thrust into an epic battle and come out of the other side with allies and a new found experience. This will allow the next movie to jump right into the next journey for Spiderman. The character is not meant to be like Affleck's Batman, where it's one grizzled veteran coming after another. I think the Stark/Parker mentor type relationship is going to have some meaning going forward. We always saw that with the gadget he had.

This definitely felt like a Cap movie, which was a great thing. I am also glad they didn't kill him, since it at least keeps possibilities open. Very enjoyable, and this might end up being the action movie of the year.
I understand where you are coming from. But I can always enjoy myself and get more entertainment from an episode of Raw over Breaking Bad. They arent the same thing....just like Cap vs. other movies. Its different.

At no point was I checking my watch to see how long till it was over. I didnt want it to end. In fact, I thought the climax was sort of rushed and we could have used another 30 mins. Entertain me and I dont care how long you go. BvsS didnt do that and thats why I felt it was too long.

I think the MCU Spidey movie will STILL tell the origin story, just probably in a more concise manner to allow a new story to take up 70% of the film.

Personally, I am happy they didnt kill Cap and I hope that means Evans will definitely be staying for awhile. His death would have been pretty epic though.

http://www.fallenangelchristopherdaniels.com Official Webpage of Christopher Daniels

Gumby
Marked Out King

Post by Gumby » May 7th, 2016, 5:09 pm

Modernizing is one thing....but what are we to believe Uncle Ben looks like....George Clooney?!
I don't see the problem here. Clooney is 55.

djknightrida
Marked Out Master

Post by djknightrida » May 7th, 2016, 5:15 pm

CM, you don't even read Spiderman comics. Holland was the best Parker to date. Clooney would be a great Uncle Ben actually. Problem is Tomei just doesn't look her age. She is the right age, just seems younger than she is.
2017 Most Unique Photo Winner

:dj:

cmshowstopper
Marked Out Master

Post by cmshowstopper » May 7th, 2016, 6:23 pm

Gumby wrote:
Modernizing is one thing....but what are we to believe Uncle Ben looks like....George Clooney?!
I don't see the problem here. Clooney is 55.
The problem is former Batman wasnt Uncle Ben...doesnt look the part of Uncle Ben. Michael B. Jordan is a damn fine actor. But Johnny Storm aint black and he didnt do the Storm character justice. Clooney, a fine actor, isnt right for Uncle Ben like Tomei isnt right for Aunt May.
djknightrida wrote:CM, you don't even read Spiderman comics. Holland was the best Parker to date. Clooney would be a great Uncle Ben actually. Problem is Tomei just doesn't look her age. She is the right age, just seems younger than she is.
Dude....I was reading Spiderman LONG BEFORE you picked up a comic book. You jumped on because the movies. If you want to be a comic snob, you need to have the pedigree to do so.

Holland made a great young Peter Parker. I've said this now several times. I wanted an older version of Parker in the Avengers, let Holland get his footing. And while Holland is great....he hasnt surpass Toby yet.

djknightrida
Marked Out Master

Post by djknightrida » May 7th, 2016, 6:51 pm

cmshowstopper wrote:
Dude....I was reading Spiderman LONG BEFORE you picked up a comic book. You jumped on because the movies. If you want to be a comic snob, you need to have the pedigree to do so.

Holland made a great young Peter Parker. I've said this now several times. I wanted an older version of Parker in the Avengers, let Holland get his footing. And while Holland is great....he hasnt surpass Toby yet.
Just because you've read it in the past doesn't make you update to date with the stories and characters that are ongoing. This is the Ironman 3 dispute all over again. The Mandarin story was dead on with what happened in the comics at the movie's release. May not have been accurate with the past but it was with the then present. And you wanna call me a snob for stating facts. :rofl: :smh: :rofl1:
2017 Most Unique Photo Winner

:dj:

Gumby
Marked Out King

Post by Gumby » May 7th, 2016, 7:37 pm

The problem is former Batman wasnt Uncle Ben...doesnt look the part of Uncle Ben.
Right, I see it now. Clooney has salt and pepper hair, whereas Uncle Ben has white.

cmshowstopper
Marked Out Master

Post by cmshowstopper » May 7th, 2016, 7:39 pm

djknightrida wrote:
cmshowstopper wrote:

Just because you've read it in the past doesn't make you update to date with the stories and characters that are ongoing. This is the Ironman 3 dispute all over again. The Mandarin story was dead on with what happened in the comics at the movie's release. May not have been accurate with the past but it was with the then present. And you wanna call me a snob for stating facts. :rofl: :smh: :rofl1:
So you are telling me that the characters are getting younger? :smh: Is Peter Parker 14 years old and look 10, right now?

The Mandarin is a legit threat. If the comics have rewritten his history...then its about as dumb as Pepper getting her own suit and becoming Rescue. When WWE rewrites history, you've hated in the past. But thats what the current WWE wants it to be. So why is it not the same for comics?

I didnt call you a snob. I said, if you want to be a comic snob. You werent stating facts. You stated an opinion, just like I did. Neither of us is right, because its a matter of personal choice. You hated Mackie's jokes...I thought he was subtle and hilarious.

cmshowstopper
Marked Out Master

Post by cmshowstopper » May 7th, 2016, 7:40 pm

Gumby wrote:
The problem is former Batman wasnt Uncle Ben...doesnt look the part of Uncle Ben.
Right, I see it now. Clooney has salt and pepper hair, whereas Uncle Ben has white.
I didnt realize that Uncle Ben was a dashingly handsome salt n pepper chisled looking man. Could have sworn he was a senior citizen.

Gumby
Marked Out King

Post by Gumby » May 7th, 2016, 8:17 pm

Could have sworn he was a senior citizen.
Many American businesses offer senior discounts starting at the age of 55.
When WWE rewrites history, you've hated in the past. But thats what the current WWE wants it to be. So why is it not the same for comics?
Because one is a work of fiction whose characters are frozen in time while maintaining the illusion of time passing and the other is a real life sport.

cmshowstopper
Marked Out Master

Post by cmshowstopper » May 8th, 2016, 12:50 am

Gumby wrote:
Could have sworn he was a senior citizen.
Many American businesses offer senior discounts starting at the age of 55.
When WWE rewrites history, you've hated in the past. But thats what the current WWE wants it to be. So why is it not the same for comics?
Because one is a work of fiction whose characters are frozen in time while maintaining the illusion of time passing and the other is a real life sport.
While there might be some that recognize 55, most are 65. You are entitled to your opinion. I just dont agree with you. If you like Clooney/Tomei...good for you. For me, this is where I would like it to be more comic accurate. I dont like race changes, sex changes, major age changes or just a complete redesign.

Did you just say WWE is a real life sport?! Sorry to break it to you....its not. In fact, it shares more with action films than it does with any sport. If they want to pretend that someone has won more World Titles than they really have or that a lineage of a title starts with X champion and people before that dont exist or erase Chris Benoit....thats their choice. Again, I dont like it and I call BS...just like I call BS to Tomei being Aunt May.

Gumby
Marked Out King

Post by Gumby » May 8th, 2016, 1:06 am

I dont like....a complete redesign.
You do realize that some of the most iconic comic book costumes have come from a character being redesigned, right?
Did you just say WWE is a real life sport?! Sorry to break it to you....its not.
So a man or woman who takes a power bomb off the top rope is not an athlete. Got it.

cmshowstopper
Marked Out Master

Post by cmshowstopper » May 8th, 2016, 1:54 am

Gumby wrote:
I dont like....a complete redesign.
You do realize that some of the most iconic comic book costumes have come from a character being redesigned, right?
Did you just say WWE is a real life sport?! Sorry to break it to you....its not.
So a man or woman who takes a power bomb off the top rope is not an athlete. Got it.
Redesigning a costume is a far cry from redesigning one's skin color or sex. C'mon man. You are reaching now.

Why are you putting words in my mouth? No one said they werent athletes. I said its not a sport. Its not a sport. Thats not an opinion....thats a fact.