Star Wars. Rogue One. Discussion with Spoilers

Discuss movies you've seen or want to see
MrTonyRuben
Marked Out Pro

Re: Star Wars. Rogue One. Discussion with Spoilers

Post by MrTonyRuben »

Greg2600 wrote:Tony, sure 3PO's scene wasn't just as the first group of rebels (aka Rogue One) took off?
There was bit a dialog with Mon Mothma asking where Admiral Raddus was when they got the info that Rogue One attacked Scarif and they stated he had already deployed for Scarif. Afterwards, they show 3P0 & R2...problem I saw is that it was Raddus's ship that Tantive IV deployed from when they got the Death Star plans, so unless they picked up 3P0 & R2 in transit, it doesn't make much sense to have their cameo during that portion of the movie.
Greg2600
Site Admin

Post by Greg2600 »

Well it would seem unlikely that Leia would have left without her droids, but yeah I guess you could "assume" they had a rendezvous at some point! I'm sure there's a "new canon" comic or novel that explains that, although doesn't matter much to me.

What's funny is that I've said for over a decade that this form of movie would be the best one Star Wars could produce. It's what's been done in the "Expanded Universe" of novels, comics, video games, for decades. It's what George Lucas would have been better off doing rather than his pointless prequels.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast
AsianDave
Marked Out Master

Post by AsianDave »

I have no problems with Prequels, so long as it ties everything into a nice little bow, and makes sense. In this case, it worked because every story has to have an origin, hence, Ep. 1-3 was needed. I believe i read that was Lucas' intention all along too...

My problems concerning the prequels was the fact they pretty much sucked...Jar Jar Binks be damned. I like to think that Disney is trying to rectify that mistake with the continual saga, in addition to the stand alone movies (Rogue One, Han Solo, Bobba Fett, etc...)
ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW »

What a fucking awesome movie
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/
crowbar
Marked Out King

Post by crowbar »

I saw 10 minutes of this after I saw another movie yesterday... it was a 10 minute piece where Vader chokes Ben Mendelsohn. Let me tell you, Darth Vader had a swagger that DID NOT match his voice!
AsianDave
Marked Out Master

Post by AsianDave »

crowbar wrote:I saw 10 minutes of this after I saw another movie yesterday... it was a 10 minute piece where Vader chokes Ben Mendelsohn. Let me tell you, Darth Vader had a swagger that DID NOT match his voice!
yeah right? I was trying to make this very point that it was just so off for me, but everyone seems to be okay with it. :haeh2:
WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO »

Well what is the alternative fellas? Should we have taken JEJ behind the barn and shot him? Would a recasting of been better?!!?
Greg2600
Site Admin

Post by Greg2600 »

LOL, I really didn't notice it. He sounded fine in Episode III, and has been serviceable in Rebels. I'll take ancient JEJ over voice actor any day of the week! This was not like that new Batman cartoon with Adam West, who can barely talk. Now that was shit!
AsianDave
Marked Out Master

Post by AsianDave »

WOODMO wrote:Well what is the alternative fellas? Should we have taken JEJ behind the barn and shot him? Would a recasting of been better?!!?
don't be a goof! we're NOT talking about Ol' Yeller here! :lol: you would think in this day and age of advance technology and sound systems, they'd take existing recordings of his voice (when he was much younger) and use some form of voice synthesizer and dub it in somehow. hey, i don't profess to know how any of this tech acutally works, but like hello...it just sounded bad IMO! :facepalm:
ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW »

Vader did sound old but, hey, JEJ is old! It tweaked me at first but it didn't bother me. Plus, he's not in the movie all that much and his dialogue is very minimal.
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
crowbar
Marked Out King

Post by crowbar »

I definitely think we should murder JEJ. Would definitely make the Vader character more believable.
Greg2600
Site Admin

Post by Greg2600 »

I thought it worked very well. They purposely built up the Krennic character as more and more ambitious, to the point where he wants to complain directly to the Emperor. Vader had to put him in his place, so we get a force choke. But the end scene where Vader is disposing of the Rebel crew was quite amazing.
AsianDave
Marked Out Master

Post by AsianDave »

Greg2600 wrote:I thought it worked very well. They purposely built up the Krennic character as more and more ambitious, to the point where he wants to complain directly to the Emperor. Vader had to put him in his place, so we get a force choke. But the end scene where Vader is disposing of the Rebel crew was quite amazing.
yeah, i liked this scene as well. Either Vader was so good in deflecting all the blaster shots at him, or the Rebel soldiers were simply horrible shots to begin with!

also, this scene reminds me so much of Scarlett Johansson in Lucy where she used her psych powers to throw all those thugs up into the ceilings and walls and all around like rag dolls, and in this same scene, Vader did pretty much the same thing! coincidental? LOL

But it was really cool to actually see the extent of his power used in such fashion! :bowdown:
AsianDave
Marked Out Master

Post by AsianDave »

MrTonyRuben wrote:
Greg2600 wrote:Tony, sure 3PO's scene wasn't just as the first group of rebels (aka Rogue One) took off?
There was bit a dialog with Mon Mothma asking where Admiral Raddus was when they got the info that Rogue One attacked Scarif and they stated he had already deployed for Scarif. Afterwards, they show 3P0 & R2...problem I saw is that it was Raddus's ship that Tantive IV deployed from when they got the Death Star plans, so unless they picked up 3P0 & R2 in transit, it doesn't make much sense to have their cameo during that portion of the movie.
Greg2600 wrote:Well it would seem unlikely that Leia would have left without her droids, but yeah I guess you could "assume" they had a rendezvous at some point! I'm sure there's a "new canon" comic or novel that explains that, although doesn't matter much to me.

What's funny is that I've said for over a decade that this form of movie would be the best one Star Wars could produce. It's what's been done in the "Expanded Universe" of novels, comics, video games, for decades. It's what George Lucas would have been better off doing rather than his pointless prequels.
okay, so as i went to see this movie yet again today with my cousins, i made sure to pay close attention to some of the scenes as it relates to the discussion above.

it was advised to Mon Mothma that Admiral Raddus had returned to his ship and that he has decided to go to Scarif to fight...they did not say that he had left yet, therefore, in the period we saw R2 and 3P-O, they had to have boarded the ship shortly thereafter.

furthermore, i listened more intently to Vader's (JEJ) voice this time around, and i've concluded that it really wasn't all that bad,as it sounded fairly normal. However, It wasn't until he remarked to Director Krennic that he was letting his ambition choke him that Vader (or JEJ) sounded just a tad bit off. So, with that said, i can live with the end results! LOL

But i'm still not sold on the CGI Leia in the end scene. it was creepy looking!
ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW »

I thought Leia was fine. It blew my mind in the theater