Star Wars. Rogue One. Discussion with Spoilers

Discuss movies you've seen or want to see
Greg2600

Star Wars. Rogue One. Discussion with Spoilers

Post by Greg2600 » December 20th, 2016, 6:54 pm

Since :depressed: hasn't seen it yet and I wouldn't mind discussing, here's a thread!

I loved the film. It definitely hearkened back to Ep. IV, and plugged a lot of holes with tons of surprising, cool cameos and easter eggs. Not that it had to plug holes, but that was cool nonetheless. The action was fantastic. NO JJ lens flares, NO shaky cam. Thank fucking God for Gareth Edwards! Unlike Ep. II and III, which had so much CGI going on during the space battles I wanted to puke, this one involved a small number of ships.

I think the takeaway will be the controversy over animating the late Peter Cushing as Tarkin like they did. Is it ethical?
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

mrira
Marked Out King

Re: Star Wars. Rogue One. Discussion with Spoilers

Post by mrira » December 20th, 2016, 7:05 pm

Greg2600 wrote: I think the takeaway will be the controversy over animating the late Peter Cushing as Tarkin like they did. Is it ethical?
I did enjoy the movie, the beginning where they were going through all these planets were a bit boring though. I thought it wasn't animation, but basically putting Peter Cushing's & Carrie Fisher's like over the actors who would recite the lines their original characters would have. I'm sure Fisher, as well as Cushing's estate received a nice check for using their likeness in the movie.

I saw on Facebook today that some people have been talking about that Baze & Chirrut were a couple. I could see it as them being a couple, but they could just be close friends. Anyone else have thoughts on it?

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » December 20th, 2016, 7:12 pm

Ya they are def Gay

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » December 20th, 2016, 7:17 pm

First of all, almost ALL motion picture character CGI is overlayed onto a stand in. It's easier that way. They usually wear those motion capture balls all over for reference points. Actors played both roles in costume, but their faces/heads were replaced with CGI. Tarkin was voiced by another actor, Stephen Stanton, who is terrific. I think the one line Carrie "uttered" was just taken from archive.

I doubt those guys were gay. One was some type of monk-like character, and both were devoted to protecting the temple at some point. Frankly there was little to no indication of that, nor purpose to the story. Even the main characters Jyn and Cassian never kissed or anything.

AsianDave
Marked Out Master

Post by AsianDave » December 20th, 2016, 7:27 pm

"Saw Rogue One today and I did not leave disappointed. With maybe couple of minor things which I'll wait until everyone has seen the movie it in order for them to formulate their own opinion.
I think I now understand what Mon Motha meant when she said "Many a Bothan died..."
I'll always consider A New Hope my favorite movie out of the saga, as it introduced me to the Star Wars universe...but I have to say this ranks way up there with it, so, I'll give it a no. 2 on my list!"

As the above comments was previously stated in the movie thread, i guess since most of us have now seent his movie, i'm glad we can at least discuss this movie at length.

As expressed to some of the fellas on the board already, i addressed some issues i took from this movie, so feel free to express your thoughts on the matter, be it positive or negative.
1. i noticed that Vader's voice as provided by JEJ sounded old, tired and well, horrible. Did anyone else notice that or was it just me?
2. I know she's integral to the two story lines being connected, and therefore, her appearance was somewhat paramount. But to CGI Leia the way they did left me speechless. Her CGI image belongs in The Polar Express, not a live movie.
3. the dramatic, albeit gut wrenching beach scene with Jyn and Cassian where they both perished, seemed somewhat cliche. I even mentioned that it reminded me of the same beach scene with Tea Leoni in Deep Impact. I know it was needed to elicit emotions, and it worked as intended.
4. When Luke met up with Wedge Antilles at the rebel base on Yavin IV as they were getting ready to set off to confront the Death Star in A New Hope, Wedge was pretty much already entrenched with the Rebel resistence unit, but he wasn't anywhere to be seen at the Rebel base on what i'm assuming was Yavin IV (same base as in A New Hope) or during the space dog fight over the Planet Scarif. I know, he's not that big of a deal so, why include him! LOL
5. I love Donnie Yen (Chirrut)! i have shit loads of his movies, mostly Wushu kung fu period pieces. So, knowing that he was in this movie was like being a kid in a candy/toy store! But i gotta say...i had issues with him speaking so damn much. Maybe it was his attempt in speaking fluent English that just sounded off to me. But i really enjoyed his action sequence. It was so Wushu man! I guess same goes for Mads Mikkelsen as his speaking scenes was annoying me as well! LOL

other than that, i'm pretty much ecstatic about the movie, and will be seeing it again with my cousins Christmas morning as has become a tradition with our family.

AsianDave
Marked Out Master

Post by AsianDave » December 20th, 2016, 7:29 pm

and no, Chirrut and Baze were NOT gay lovers or whatever!

oh, is if safe to assume that the reason why we didn't see ANY of the Death Troopers from A New Hope and beyond was that they were all destroyed on Scarif by the Death Star? Cuz those dudes were impressive looking, as opposed to the lame ass Storm Troopers! LOL

crowbar
Marked Out King

Post by crowbar » December 20th, 2016, 8:31 pm

I walked out after an hour of this movie. Although I've heard it picks up after that. Maybe I'll give it another shot but I'm not a big Star Wars guy. Did enjoy Force Awakens though.

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » December 20th, 2016, 8:45 pm

Dave, I suspect the canon explanation for your questions is simply that they weren't on screen but were involved. One of the easter eggs I completely missed was that the Star Wars Rebels ship (Ghost) and droid (Chopper) were spotted at Yavin and in the Scarif battle! One can assume they will eventually write an episode or two about that in the years to come.

James Earl Jones IS OLD! He's very old, and they're very lucky he can still perform at all. He also lends Vader voice to Star Wars Rebels, and probably will continue to do so as long as he can. Yeah it sounded older, but I think they worked on it enough that it was pretty good. As for Leia, I really loved that scene, and I thought the CGI was pretty good. They've come lightyears from even the Tron Legacy work, which I thought was not very good.

As for being cliche, George Lucas ripped off many films in writing the original movie, so it's following tradition!

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » December 21st, 2016, 10:23 am

Yeah I thought the film was great. People bash Episode 7 but it was a needed reboot masquerading as a sequel, and as a result they were going to rehash a lot of the earlier plot points to position the franchise going forward with the young stars. This film though felt original and easily fit into the original trilogy and I loved the little connecting points. I thought the CGI was natural and totally OK and valid. The Leia scene blew me away, very awesome and well done.

Also, James Earl Jones did sound older, but he still sounded like Darth Vader which is about all you can hope for.

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » December 21st, 2016, 10:32 am

If you think JEJ sounds old, have a listen to Christopher Lloyd's "Doc" in the Telltale BTTF game from a couple years ago. It's awful, he sounded asleep. Force Awakens took some flack, yes, but I think it's still an "incomplete" evaluation, because the remainder of the trilogy has not been released. If those films fail to build a good story, then TFA will be looked at more negatively.

AsianDave
Marked Out Master

Post by AsianDave » December 21st, 2016, 11:11 am

historically, sequels as a whole tend to be pretty bad (Jaws really, really come to mind! ugh). But with TFA, they simply wanted to put the story in place, as a continuation from ESB (Ep. VI). Hopefully, they'll be able to flesh out the subsequent episodes and it'll be a non-issue what was lacking with TFA...
personally speaking, Rogue One, even as a stand alone movie was way better than TFA, and i watched TFA like 10 times (4 in theater and 6 on DVD)!
However, i must add that TFA was way better than the prequels! LOL

MrTonyRuben
Marked Out Pro

Post by MrTonyRuben » December 21st, 2016, 9:50 pm

Dave, just a correction, TFA was a continuation story from ROTJ not ESB.

And my thoughts...I liked the movie (not as much as TFA) and loved all the little easter eggs including the previously mentioned Star Wars Rebels one with the Ghost and Chopper appearing, as well as someone over the com mentioning General Syndulla (Hera) during the Battle of Scariff, meaning at least two of the characters from the show will be alive. This also happens to be the first movie where we actually see Darth Vader just slaughter the Rebel troops with his trademark lightsaber and that was great to finally see.

One thing that I have to watch again is to catch what C-3PO said to R2 on Yavin 4 as the fleet was leaving...Most of the fleet had left for Scariff, including the main ship that had Tantive IV docked on. If that's the case, why would C-3P0 and R2-D2 still be on Yavin 4? That seems like a big plot hole to not have them there if R2 is to receive the Death Star plans from Princess Leia.

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » December 21st, 2016, 11:25 pm

Tony, sure 3PO's scene wasn't just as the first group of rebels (aka Rogue One) took off?

AsianDave
Marked Out Master

Post by AsianDave » December 21st, 2016, 11:31 pm

MrTonyRuben wrote:Dave, just a correction, TFA was a continuation story from ROTJ not ESB.

And my thoughts...I liked the movie (not as much as TFA) and loved all the little easter eggs including the previously mentioned Star Wars Rebels one with the Ghost and Chopper appearing, as well as someone over the com mentioning General Syndulla (Hera) during the Battle of Scariff, meaning at least two of the characters from the show will be alive. This also happens to be the first movie where we actually see Darth Vader just slaughter the Rebel troops with his trademark lightsaber and that was great to finally see.

One thing that I have to watch again is to catch what C-3PO said to R2 on Yavin 4 as the fleet was leaving...Most of the fleet had left for Scariff, including the main ship that had Tantive IV docked on. If that's the case, why would C-3P0 and R2-D2 still be on Yavin 4? That seems like a big plot hole to not have them there if R2 is to receive the Death Star plans from Princess Leia.
D'oh! Screwed up again. I meant to say ROTJ! Sigh
Also, in my comments I made mention of Wedge Antilles when I really meant Biggs Darklighter. I'm an idiot!

AsianDave
Marked Out Master

Post by AsianDave » December 21st, 2016, 11:44 pm

Greg2600 wrote:Tony, sure 3PO's scene wasn't just as the first group of rebels (aka Rogue One) took off?
I'll have to remember to look for this again when I go back and watch the movie Sunday. But this is what I found on Google search...
20161221_234103.png
20161221_234103.png (307.21 KiB) Viewed 1411 times