Is anyone watching DVDs anymore?

Discuss your favorite TV shows from the past and the present.
lanza218
Site Admin

Is anyone watching DVDs anymore?

Post by lanza218 »

I started to really get caught up with ALL dvd deals this weekend but realized I havent put in a DVD in for at least 6 months. Anyone else watching just more tv shows and movies on demand? Or actually watching your collection
CubsFanKEC1982
Full Fledged Mark

Re: Is anyone watching DVDs anymore?

Post by CubsFanKEC1982 »

I rent from Redbox and purchase documentaries from time to time.
WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO »

Same here. I either watch what I DVR, or I stream from Netflix/Kodi/Download on my computer to my TV. Music is the same way, I don't physically download anything anymore and haven't paid for CDs in a decade plus. Streaming is just so convenient, it beats carrying 50 gigs of music on my phone or considering using a secondary music device. All I need is the Spotify app on my iPhone and I have almost every song I could ever want to hear in a cloud.

Luckily though I have cut back. In the past I would purchase things I have never seen, just because the price was good and I heard they were worth watching. Now I just try things via stream and only buy what I know I like and would actually miss if my hard drives died or Netflix removed it. I also ONLY buy on Black Friday, and spend the rest of the year buying nothing. I won't pay over $8 for a movie or $20 for a Blu Ray TV season now a days.
cmshowstopper
Marked Out Master

Post by cmshowstopper »

Yes....even stuff I download, I will burn to a DVD.
class316
Marked Out God

Post by class316 »

Generally I torrent movies and TV shows but I do buy a blu ray if it's a movie I like.

I also buy DVDs, CDs, vinyls, or laserdiscs to get signed though. And if I find $1 laserdiscs and vinyls I pick them up for future use.

I don't pay for streaming services since torrents serve me well.
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets
Luke
Marked Out King

Post by Luke »

I'm a DVD guy. I tend to be the last one to upgrade on things. I didn't even have a smart phone until a year ago. I was with VHS well into the early 2000's as well.
WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO »

Luke wrote:I didn't even have a smart phone until a year ago. I was with VHS well into the early 2000's as well.
:horrorhart:

Nobody should be a DVD guy in 2015. Blu Ray is one thing but streams are usually exceeding DVD quality!

CM, you should look into media streaming. If you have a PS4, Roku, Xbox, etc, you can find many easy options to turn your entire downloaded library into a Netflix type service. Plex is the best.
djknightrida
Marked Out Master

Post by djknightrida »

Only thing I don't watch on DVD/BR are new Netflix shows which I borrow a friend's Netflix for. Hate streaming services.
2017 Most Unique Photo Winner

:dj:
Greg2600
Site Admin

Post by Greg2600 »

I rarely do. For awhile I was using Red Box for Blu Ray, but my PC's graphic card became "outdate" by the BRD consortium. As a result, it no longer could play bluray's!!! WTF. I just got a BD player at Costco for $50 so I can watch some of them. There are special features and other stuff I like to see from time to time, which is not available digitally. Also doubles as a Netflix player.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast
AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe »

I don't watch as many as I used to, but I still keep up a DVD/Blu Ray collection, since I'm a big fan of Audio commentaries and bonus content. Also, my internet connection isn't as 100% reliable as I'd like it to be, so I don't have total confidence in it enough to completely rely on streaming services.
cmshowstopper
Marked Out Master

Post by cmshowstopper »

WOODMO wrote:
Luke wrote:I didn't even have a smart phone until a year ago. I was with VHS well into the early 2000's as well.

Nobody should be a DVD guy in 2015. Blu Ray is one thing but streams are usually exceeding DVD quality!

CM, you should look into media streaming. If you have a PS4, Roku, Xbox, etc, you can find many easy options to turn your entire downloaded library into a Netflix type service. Plex is the best.
I have a Roku and streaming is just so unreliable. Why my laptop, phone and tablet will all work, but the Roku has hiccups is beyond me.
class316
Marked Out God

Post by class316 »

Luke wrote:I'm a DVD guy. I tend to be the last one to upgrade on things. I didn't even have a smart phone until a year ago. I was with VHS well into the early 2000's as well.
:jawdrop:
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets
WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO »

cmshowstopper wrote:
WOODMO wrote:

I have a Roku and streaming is just so unreliable. Why my laptop, phone and tablet will all work, but the Roku has hiccups is beyond me.
That is strange. I have a $300 router, which may explain my lack of problems, but I stream 5 gig downloaded 720p movies on my Roku with zero buffer time, just flawless playing. Perhaps the internet is weaker in other parts of the country, I am not sure, but that might be a router issue or a faulty Roku.
WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO »

djknightrida wrote:Only thing I don't watch on DVD/BR are new Netflix shows which I borrow a friend's Netflix for. Hate streaming services.
If you don't mind me asking, why do you hate streaming? Is it the "pay to rent" concept? Lack of reliability? Lack of content you want in any one place?

I would totally abandon my physical collection if external hard drives didn't routinely die. I try to safeguard myself and phase them out after a few years and migrate to a new one on the first sign of breakdown, but sometimes they just go and you lose data.
cmshowstopper
Marked Out Master

Post by cmshowstopper »

WOODMO wrote:
cmshowstopper wrote:
WOODMO wrote:

That is strange. I have a $300 router, which may explain my lack of problems, but I stream 5 gig downloaded 720p movies on my Roku with zero buffer time, just flawless playing. Perhaps the internet is weaker in other parts of the country, I am not sure, but that might be a router issue or a faulty Roku.
I have Linksys with a 5GHZ channel. I can stream anything and everything via hard wire. Its flawless and super quick. I can stream just fine on my tablet, laptop (as long as its on the 3rd floor), phone. No issues. Wireless with Roku (on the 2nd floor) or wireless with the laptop, which is even worse.....its not reliable.

We talked about the speed of the internet. Its not a speed issue. Its a wireless issue. I think part of the problem is my home security system and the wireless cameras that are running on it. Of course Xfinity says its not.