Sesame Street Cast Cut Bob Gordon Luis

Discuss your favorite TV shows from the past and the present.
lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 »

TVLine
Shutterstock
Sesame Street Shake-Up: Bob, Others Cut as Result of 'Evolving' Curriculum
By Matt Webb Mitovich / July 28 2016, 10:49 AM PDT
The cutting of three veteran Sesame Street cast members was the result of the educational children’s series’ “evolving” curriculum and thus characters, and not any HBO interference, producers said in a statement on Thursday.
RELATEDSesame Street on HBO Gets Updated Theme and Other Changes
In the wake of recent reports that Bob McGrath and Emilio Delgado (pictured above) and Roscoe Orman — who played Bob, Luis and Gordon for 45, 45 and 42 years, respectively — had been let go concurrent with the show’s retooling for HBO, Sesame Workshop issued a statement stating that cast changes go hand-in-hand with curriculum and content changes. It was also stated that Sesame Workshop, even in its new pay-cable home, “retains sole creative control, while HBO “does not” have a hand in production decisions.
View image on Twitter
View image on Twitter
Follow
Sesame Street ✔ @sesamestreet
Regarding our beloved cast members:
12:25 PM - 28 Jul 2016
553 553 Retweets 802 802 likes
RELATEDSesame Street Vet David Smyrl Dead at 80, Played Mr. Handford
The retooled Sesame Street aired its Season 46 premiere on HBO this past January, running a “dynamic” 30 minutes (versus an hour) and offering a new episode every Saturday morning.
Sesame Workshop noted that the three “beloved cast members” “remain a part of the Sesame family” and as such “will continue to represent us at public events.”
Add A Comment
TAGS: HBO, SESAME STREET
GET MORE: CASTING NEWS, CONTROVERSY, KIDS TV

MORE FROM THE WEB

Easy Ways to Lower Your Blood Sugar Naturally
Yahoo Search

10 Shocking Facts about Fifty Shades of Grey
Interesticle

Enter Your Name, Wait 14 Seconds, Brace Yourself
TruthFinder

The Before and After Photos of 10 Celebs Who Clearly Have Fake Teeth
Interesticle

Trump's IQ Will Shock You
Choice or Life

Veterans! Don't Miss 5 Biggest Benefits of a VA Loan
Bankrate
RECOMMENDED BY

PROMOTED STORIES
The American Giant hoodie that comes with a lifetime guarantee. (American Giant)
Recent Research Suggests It May Be Possible to Reverse Mitochondrial Decay (Elysium Health on Fast Company)
Secrets The Producers Of The Brady Bunch Hid (Viral Piranha)
The new streaming service Netflix doesn't want you to know about (Tribeca Shortlist)
5% Cash Back And A $250 Bonus With This Business Credit Card (NextAdvisor)
A candid Marshawn Lynch talks frunks, Chick-fil-A and Tesla’s front seat (Digital Trends Cars)
MORE FROM TVLINE
One Day at a Time Reboot Gets Premiere Date at Netflix
Outlander Finale Victim on Jamie's Betrayal: 'That Is His World Crashing Down'
Gilmore Girls Revival: Final 4 Words, Sookie's Return, Richard's Death and More Scoop From TCA Panel
Gilmore Girls: Amy Schumer Responds to A Year in the Life Trailer Call-Out
NCIS: Jennifer Esposito Set as New Series Regular as Exits
Stephen Colbert Revives Colbert Report Persona With Help From Jon Stewart
RECOMMENDED BY

Sponsored by A&E Television Networks

Find Out Why Viewers Love A&E's Born This Way
Watch new episodes of A&E's Born This Way on Tuesdays at 10/9c. Catch up on full episodes online now for free.
Read More

Comments are monitored, so don’t go off topic, don’t frakkin’ curse and don’t bore us with how much your coworker’s sister-in-law makes per hour. Talk smart about TV!

Gravatar
Email (required) (Address never made public)

Name (required)

Website

Notify me of new comments via email.
Post Comment
30 Comments
Michael says:
July 28, 2016 at 10:56 AM
This will not end well.
JosiahBartlet4President says:
July 28, 2016 at 11:02 AM
What is the world coming to? This is just wrong.
Brian says:
July 28, 2016 at 11:02 AM
Pretty sad thing to do.
Phun says:
July 28, 2016 at 11:08 AM
It’s the end of Sesame Street as we know it. :(
mary says:
July 28, 2016 at 11:13 AM
“Evolving”? So that means older people are not allowed? What exactly are they doing to evolve that doesn’t include these people? So help me if they change Big Bird, Oscar, or Grover I say “major boycott”.
APFW says:
July 28, 2016 at 11:14 AM
They helped me with my education goals many moons ago, There is no Sesame Street without them.
iHeart says:
July 28, 2016 at 11:31 AM
that’s it I want PBS to control Sesame Street again
ninamags says:
July 28, 2016 at 11:35 AM
It’s not like if anybody can watch this anyway. A lot of people don’t have HBO.
The people who would benefit the most from this amazing, educational, once-great show don’t have access to this premium channel.
Gospino says:
July 28, 2016 at 12:19 PM
The episodes are to air on PBS nine months after they debut on HBO. You can still see them for free. Without HBO stepping in, there would be no new episodes.PBS used to cover only a small fraction of the budget for each episode; the vast majority was raised by the people behind the show. HBO stepping is in a huge financial relief for them,
Matt Webb Mitovich says:
July 28, 2016 at 12:59 PM
+125 TVLine Power User points (no cash value)
Sheri says:
July 28, 2016 at 1:50 PM
If all HBO had in mind was financial support nothing would have changed. I wish them the best in this new chapter, but I don’t like the opening line on their first paragraph.
David Graf says:
July 28, 2016 at 3:45 PM
Go to http://www.sesameworkshop.org/about-us/financials/ and you can make up your own mind whether Sesame Street needed to do this HBO deal.
Jason says:
July 28, 2016 at 12:08 PM
you’re all going to whine and complain in the comment section but you’re not watching anymore. Shows have to evolve or die
Sheri says:
July 28, 2016 at 1:47 PM
Gosh, that is so sad. I hope the people here still watch Sesame Street. I have allways watched. Always contributed to PBS. Always a supporter of real educational television. I am Teacher. Mother. Wife. Sister. Community Member. Citizen. The show aired two months after I was born. You don’t lose touch with something you know works. The only people who may ever stop watching Sesame Street may be those who do not have any children in their lives, but all the grandparents, babysitters, neighbors, teachers , anyone involved with kids, still watch Sesame Street.
Zoe says:
July 28, 2016 at 5:20 PM
Well, yeah. We’re not three years old anymore. But I know for a fact that when I have kids of my own, I’ll be watching right there with them.
Gregory Eckes says:
July 28, 2016 at 12:09 PM
Wait a minute, you fired them from the show, and expect them to represent you at events? They’re better people than I am.
Ted says:
July 28, 2016 at 12:15 PM
I feel bad for the actors, but for my money the show hasn’t been the same since the breaking out of Elmo years ago. That was the start of the “dumbing down” of the show in order to get some of that sweet, sweet Barney audience.
Gospino says:
July 28, 2016 at 12:21 PM
Firing only three 40+-year veterans is pretty pointed. If they just wanted the show to “evolve,” those gone would be a mix. Not all longtime members of the cast.
auntiemm says:
July 28, 2016 at 12:58 PM
Ageism at its worst. I understand the show may want to evolve but what about losing the valuable lessons children learn from their older friends and relatives (and vice versa)? Don’t use them full-time but don’t cut them from the show completely.
Sheri says:
July 28, 2016 at 1:38 PM
I am so sad to hear this. I don’t know how I didn’t realize Sesame Street wasn’t PBS driven anymore. HBO? a half hour? Re-airs on PBS? Evolving content and curriculum? People on Sesame Street were just ALWAYS there. They either died in real life or moved on to another show we could watch them on. They never just became Public Events representatives. I hope for the best, but if Sesame Street is moving away from their tried and true connection with children { learning through play and imagination, representing skits and scenes of strength in community, multicultural awareness, and social and family bonds and unity, blended with their ability to always keep counting, letters, colors, and social developmental learning written into well thought out skits and writing for children } then this will be another casualty of the “evolving curriculum” turning out drones instead of leaders. Sesame Street was not for creating antisocial little tech robots, it is about literacy and intelligence for all. You can’t do that in 30 minute badly written snippets. Good Luck HBO.
Fuchsia says:
July 28, 2016 at 1:47 PM
Boo!
Bob, Emiilo, and Roscoe were parts of my childhood and the childhoods of millions of other people.
I hope they each receive honorary Emmys next year.
I guess “Sesame Street” is looking now for the young, hip Poochies.
Al says:
July 28, 2016 at 1:58 PM
They can’t do that. It’s un-American. And besides, it’s not a very nice thing to do.
Ivy says:
July 28, 2016 at 2:59 PM
My son is 15 now, but even when he was little, I only showed him classic episodes of Sesame Street (i.e. pre-Elmo).
Zoe says:
July 28, 2016 at 5:17 PM
Okay, what do we have to do to buy Sesame Street back from HBO and give it back to PBS? What will it take? This is unacceptable.
ThatBob says:
July 28, 2016 at 6:12 PM
Obviously, it’s important to teach kids that old people, no matter how much life experience they have, have nothing to teach the coming generations and are to be shunned.
Daya says:
July 28, 2016 at 10:28 PM
Thank you for running my heart through the shredder, Sesame Workshop. Can I at least have the pieces back?
iakovos says:
July 29, 2016 at 8:33 AM
The hourlong program on PBS was perfection. So, of course, we have to upset the status quo. not sure a change of this sort was needed.
Michelle says:
July 29, 2016 at 12:35 PM
These three people have been there since I was a kid and taught me SO much more than letters and numbers. They stood for love, forgiveness, embracing differences in people, compassion, generosity, and everything else that is good and decent in human beings. Try “evolving” the curriculum back to that.
Lori says:
July 29, 2016 at 2:59 PM
All this sesame street stuff has to do with MONEY. Don’t use your money for sesame street or HBO until they make their customers happy !!!!!!!!!!!
Bill Wilson says:
August 1, 2016 at 1:24 PM
Sad fact is, these actors were ALREADY scaled way back, and have been for years! I interviewed Bob McGrath about ten years ago, and he was only working a few days a YEAR on the Street. For the past decade, you only had one or two human characters (not counting the kids) in any given episode. Long gone were the days when you’d see eight or nine people in the first five minutes of the camera pan. Merchandising has taken a hit over the years, which represented a LARGE part of Sesame Street’s viability.