RocklandSally's LOTR report

Place to find reports on meets of the past.
rocklandsally
Full Fledged Mark

RocklandSally's LOTR report

Post by rocklandsally » June 1st, 2009, 1:33 pm

My day started out at 11:30am the Friday as I began the drive down to Lucas's place for a place to crash prior to heading out Saturday morning with the earlier Kurt signing. and yes I did bring 1 dozen Tim Horton donuts.

The weather was foul but the ever present state troopers never stopped me as I flew along at 120 km/hr for the most part..oops.. I mean 74 mph...We know how to drive in Canada.

Got to the destination around 7:30pm where was met by Lucas and his wife. Dinner out for a burger (I was asked how I would like it cooked .. wtf !!!) then back for some WWE on demand of old NWA and looked through The Lucas Collection.

We got up around 6:30am and then 1 Tim Horton donut later hopped in my car for the 45 minute drive to the convention site. There met up with Danthemark, working and continuing with his retired gimmick, Zig, Oldschool, Joe and Joey, Evigenius, Joeystyles, RayD, saw Woodmo Class and the usual cast of colourful characters.

Everyone was talking about the 2 no shows (Konnan and John Nord) and the replacement of Sabu...Which was great for me as I had never met any of them. I promptly went to the ticket table to pick up my Superticket and Sting tickets. Had no idea of the numbers and was pleasently shocked to see #22 and #19 respectively !!! AWESOME

Had to delay my 8x10 buying as the Kurt Angle photo/sigs was starting but managed to get a TNA promo of Kurt. He was pleasent and signed and up for photo and done. Straight forward and simple. And he was NOT high or stoned or any of these other ridonkulous rumours are suggesting. He was tired and wiped out but after the TNA day, the movie shoots, and getting up with little sleep HE STILL SHOWED UP...We all know tons of other guests that would have used this and much less as an excuse to noshow.

Spent some time now roaming the vendors (picked up the Blackjack and Watts books, as well as the Flair Piper shoot.. all previously arranged with the Highspots gang..Thanks Lads !!). Saw the Tucold table and all their glorious NWA season sets...Willl be getting some in Charlotte. Spent more time gettign the layout of vendors and their guests as well as the special rooms left for other guests down further halls. Guests like Xpac, Slaughter, Daniels and Taz. It looked confusing, but with time and some well placed posters, things were looking better.

Before I go into specifics, the LOTR superticket lines were very well ran. They called numbers 1-20 and then lined you up by the numbers themselves...They saw what was going on with jumpers etc last year and made sure it didnt happen. They then called 1 -40 and same thing...Had us all line up in a conga line and then off we went for photos first followed by sigs. I purposely jumped back in line to #30 as Lucas would snap my photo and then I would snap his. Worked very well. But the LOTR gang had their own camera guys to help out as well...It wwent very smoothly. Some hickups but it was only some of the talent comingling or like Frenchy Martin who needed a pee break.

Superticket

Kurt Angle- AWESOME...Tired but made up for it by being there.

Hillbilly Jim- Very happy and took time to comment and make you feel wanted

Zeus- Seemed to fit right in with the rest. One of the boys...Very nice

Billy Jack Haynes- Seems to be suffering from the 'Jimmy Garvin' syndrome ( ie .. looks NOTHIN like his heyday). Not that there is anything wrong with that but WOW...He was nice and thanked us for remembering an old man...Lucas asked to be put in the full nelson for his photo op...classic

Kamala- Very very happy to be there and showed it. My disappointment over losing Luna was squashed due to his great attitude and demeanour

Lex Luger- was there a happier guy on the panel ??? Again never disappoints

Eric Bischoff- happy but serious..nice..wish I had his book to get signed..dang it all
Image Image

Sabu- I had never met. Had heard stories of misgivings but he was great. He retook if HE thought the pic was garbage..classy

Frenchie Martin- Teh french canadian panel starts...We talked in french of Montreal and Ottawa and the old school territories..very nice

Pat Patterson- the francais continued at the next table and then he started to sing...he and Frenchy were laughing it up

Ronnie Garvin- was more subdued and said he prob wont be in Charlotte for his annual surprise impromptu visit this year

Rick Martel- talked hockey and Montreal and more french

Sam Houston- once again he was very enthusiastic...

Ox Baker- the winner of the best guest at this years event...Was introduced to him, by Zig, earlier in the morning in the restaurant after he had ahd his breakfast. 30 minutes of Stu Hart and Stampede wrestling stories later, little Joey being put into a wrist lock, memories. And then at the table he was talking to everyone in front behind, in the line, ladies, more ladies, he likes the ladies, showing his rubiks cube skills...lol...He was great. Old school guests are the best hands down without a shadow of a doubt...Could you see Batista doin all this ??
Image Image

Skinner- nice, pleasant, professional

Sting-Awesome in a Ric Flair stratosphere...He seemed stiff but loosened up through the day...fantastic
Image Image Image Image

Taz-Aside from Ox Baker, he was most personable and fan friendly which surprised me as I had heard rumours of his snobby attitude..He talked and initiated conversations

Ray Rougeau-He was surprised anyone could talk french which I used to my advantage..Very very nice guy and really happy to be there

After the event, headed to Philly for the ROH hdnet TV taping. Side trip first to Pats House of steak for my 1st Philly cheesesteak..err...'wit, shooms, amercian cheese' !! nice.

ROH all right but had some GREAT matches of Danielson versus Black, and Roderick Strong versus Chris Hero (???)...Kevin Steen, Generico and the American Wolves all were good. Some of the fans were crazy. Like Sean's mother...Freakishly into the Tyler Black match. And what was with the overabundant amount of ladies in the crowd ??? LIKED that !!!

After the show and being politely asked to leave we ventured around the back and got some much needed, sought after, and appreciated photos and signatures...All the talent where nice and very approachable...Talked to D'lo, Steen, Lynn, and lots of others as they hung out. Sean, Jeff, Lucas and myslef were back there prob for an hour and a bit.

Bryan Danielson

D-Lo

Tyler Black

Austin Aries

Jerry Lynn

Necrobutcher

Kenta

Nigel McGuiness

Jimmy Rave

Kevin Steen

You guys are lucky to have the stars so readily available to you at all these events...We are slowly getting some but in no way are fast and frequent as our neighbours to the south.

It was around midnight when all 4 of us parted ways after a nice long hug and moment...lol...

Then a quick stop for 2 Redbulls, some Monster, pizza Combos and then some Gardetto's rye and pretzel snacks, the 8hr drive home commenced...

Thanks guys for the awesome weekend !!!

Image Image

My Photo Ops and Misc:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rocklandsa ... 099423104/