WOODMO'S PWHF Report w/ Pics

Place to find reports on meets of the past.
franchised
Learning To Mark Out
Posts: 33
Joined: August 14th, 2008, 12:33 am

WOODMO'S PWHF Report w/ Pics

Post by franchised » May 17th, 2009, 4:21 pm

Who was making who say please? I commend them for it whoever it was

I'd probably do the same if I was in the same position and was a wrestler or whatever... a few people say to me 'I hate CM Punk, he's such an asshole most of the time' and I ask them why they think that seeing as he is always cool with me and they go onto say something along the lines of 'I asked him could I get a photo, and he told me if I say please.... and then said, noone says please anymore'.... to which I roll my eyes and think quite rightly so, he's not being an asshole at all.

Manners don't cost anything, I was brought up well, not dragged up


franchised
Learning To Mark Out
Posts: 33
Joined: August 14th, 2008, 12:33 am

WOODMO'S PWHF Report w/ Pics

Post by franchised » May 17th, 2009, 4:31 pm

Kris-UK wrote:
Alvin S. Theodore wrote:Who was making who say please? I commend them for it whoever it was

I'd probably do the same if I was in the same position and was a wrestler or whatever... a few people say to me 'I hate CM Punk, he's such an asshole most of the time' and I ask them why they think that seeing as he is always cool with me and they go onto say something along the lines of 'I asked him could I get a photo, and he told me if I say please.... and then said, noone says please anymore'.... to which I roll my eyes and think quite rightly so, he's not being an asshole at all.

Manners don't cost anything, I was brought up well, not dragged up
Totally agree son.

However, some wrestlers are still assholes, even if you say please - and Punk has come into that category in the past.

But in general, it does work wonders to ask.

The amount of shitheads I have seen say things like "Yo Edge, give us a picture" is astonishing.

I sometimes wonder if good manners are why the Elite gets Elite quality pics ;D
I have seen him be funny with people, as I have with Randy plenty of times, but both have always been cool with me in my encounters with them. Therefore I cannot dislike them for the same, I go on my own personal experiences.

I too have seen the same with people like Edge, and luckily for those rude fans Edge is one of the most accommodating wrestlers... I actually saw it recently with Jeff Hardy and rude pushy fans, and was hoping he'd react accordingly, but once again Jeff is one of the coolest and so he obliged. How I wished that was a Randy, CM Punk or Batista.

User avatar
WOODMO
Site Admin
Posts: 7145
Joined: March 14th, 2008, 12:46 pm
Location: Long Island, New York

WOODMO'S PWHF Report w/ Pics

Post by WOODMO » May 17th, 2009, 4:56 pm

I am always a "please" guy when it comes to pictures and autographs for free.

At events like this I normally just say a polite thanks afterward.

Just strikes me as odd saying at a signing, "can I please get a picture" since the money I paid says I can.

When on the street or somewhere like that, I respect the fact they don't have to do anything, and always say please and thanks.
Last edited by Anonymous on May 17th, 2009, 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

franchised
Learning To Mark Out
Posts: 33
Joined: August 14th, 2008, 12:33 am

WOODMO'S PWHF Report w/ Pics

Post by franchised » May 17th, 2009, 5:36 pm

joeystylesfan wrote:
Alvin S. Theodore wrote:Who was making who say please? I commend them for it whoever it was

I'd probably do the same if I was in the same position and was a wrestler or whatever... a few people say to me 'I hate CM Punk, he's such an asshole most of the time' and I ask them why they think that seeing as he is always cool with me and they go onto say something along the lines of 'I asked him could I get a photo, and he told me if I say please.... and then said, noone says please anymore'.... to which I roll my eyes and think quite rightly so, he's not being an asshole at all.

Manners don't cost anything, I was brought up well, not dragged up
I'm not sure if this is all directed right towards me, since I made the "please" post above, but when meeting wrestlers, I always go the extra mile to thank them for their time, and thank them for coming out. In this one particular meeting (which happened on the meet and greet line) I asked a wrestler to sign my item with a blue marker, and then that wrestler gave me a stare (which felt like it lasted forever) and then said "Well, don't you know the magic word."

Again, I don't know if your post was directed 100% towards me or fans in general, but I always go out of my way to treat everyone with respect, as my parents taught me, and was not "dragged up" as you said in your post.
It was directed as a general statement towards fans in general who forget their manners (or just don't have any to begin with)... so no, not you in particular, unless you would class yourself as said type of fan.

I agree in part to the paid appearance part, Woodmo, but at the same time, I'd still say 'please' to cover myself and just because it is something I do anyway, so it is somewhat instinct for me personally.
With regards to requesting a specific colour of pen, I would definitely have used it in such a case, as it would be a specific requirement of mine, and I am 'making them go out of their way', even though I'm not really as we'd all agree, I'd still feel the need to add that 'please'. But again, that's just me.

Out of curiosity, who was the person requesting the 'please'?

User avatar
WOODMO
Site Admin
Posts: 7145
Joined: March 14th, 2008, 12:46 pm
Location: Long Island, New York

WOODMO'S PWHF Report w/ Pics

Post by WOODMO » May 17th, 2009, 5:41 pm

George Steele.

When requesting a different color I usually say "if you wouldn't mind". The whole please, while paying in my opinion goes past polite and more towards being a groveling mark.

They need money, I support them. Polite is fine, "thank you, nice meeting you, if you wouldn't mind, etc" But they don't say please to me when asking for money, I see no reason I should for doing something they have been paid to do.

General politeness will do.
Last edited by Anonymous on May 17th, 2009, 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.


franchised
Learning To Mark Out
Posts: 33
Joined: August 14th, 2008, 12:33 am

WOODMO'S PWHF Report w/ Pics

Post by franchised » May 17th, 2009, 5:50 pm

WOODMO wrote:George Steele.

When requesting a different color I usually say "if you wouldn't mind". The whole please, while paying in my opinion goes past polite and more towards being a groveling mark.

They need money, I support them. Polite is fine, "thank you, nice meeting you, if you wouldn't mind, etc" But they don't say please to me when asking for money, I see no reason I should for doing something they have been paid to do.

General politeness will do.
I guess it depends on the deliverance, I never put prominance on the 'please' or make a major point when I say it, I just casually tag it along at the end. It doesn't sound forced, but I agree, if in any case for whatever reason it does sound more forced, it would look too much in a 'yes sir, no sir, that would be ever so kind of you sir' type of weird way.
Last edited by Anonymous on May 17th, 2009, 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
WOODMO
Site Admin
Posts: 7145
Joined: March 14th, 2008, 12:46 pm
Location: Long Island, New York

WOODMO'S PWHF Report w/ Pics

Post by WOODMO » May 17th, 2009, 5:56 pm

They put their bodies on the line for money, which they received.

I really don't think that fact entitles them to a higher level of politeness. Are you going to ask Sting if you can "please get a photo" when you are paying what you are? In my opinion please is only needed when they have the choice to say no.

When at a deli counter I say can I have...... and then thank you very much afterwards. My "please" stance holds true for all of these kind of situations.

franchised
Learning To Mark Out
Posts: 33
Joined: August 14th, 2008, 12:33 am

WOODMO'S PWHF Report w/ Pics

Post by franchised » May 17th, 2009, 5:56 pm

Yes, it is the same for those fans who think that wrestlers 'owe' them something, just because they have bought a few items of merch relating to them or been to a few shows they were on. They don't owe those fans anything, they pay them back by doing the best they can each and every week (and more in most cases), putting their bodies on the line and all the rest of the risks wrestlers take that are often highlighted on TV and whatnot. That is not the point here, as Kris said, it's an unwritten code in some respects, a common courtesy if you will.

They may get paid, but that's not what it is about for a lot of wrestlers, if they made it big, then more power to them. But most wrestlers would choose a different line of work if it was JUST about the money.
Last edited by Anonymous on May 17th, 2009, 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
WOODMO
Site Admin
Posts: 7145
Joined: March 14th, 2008, 12:46 pm
Location: Long Island, New York

WOODMO'S PWHF Report w/ Pics

Post by WOODMO » May 17th, 2009, 6:02 pm

Alvin S. Theodore wrote:Yes, it is the same for those fans who think that wrestlers 'owe' them something, just because they have bought a few items of merch relating to them or been to a few shows they were on. They don't owe those fans anything, they pay them back by doing the best they can each and every week (and more in most cases), putting their bodies on the line and all the rest of the risks wrestlers take that are often highlighted on TV and whatnot. That is not the point here, as Kris said, it's an unwritten code in some respects, a common courtesy if you will.
Wrestlers don't owe me anything in general.

They owe me whatever service I pay them to provide. I don't look for conversation from them or any real interaction.

Just sign my item the way I like, take the picture and I will be on my way.

I respect the fact that they did what they do, and my paying outrageous prices for what their autograph and photo proves that.

Doesn't mean I will lick any asses in the process. I provide cash, they provide service. It's a perfect example of quid pro quo, the day they say please when quoting their price is the day I will say it for doing that service.

User avatar
WOODMO
Site Admin
Posts: 7145
Joined: March 14th, 2008, 12:46 pm
Location: Long Island, New York

WOODMO'S PWHF Report w/ Pics

Post by WOODMO » May 17th, 2009, 6:06 pm

Alvin S. Theodore wrote:
They may get paid, but that's not what it is about for a lot of wrestlers, if they made it big, then more power to them. But most wrestlers would choose a different line of work if it was JUST about the money.
Can they really?

Most wrestlers are fairly uneducated. They are great at what they do, but it's not like many other lines of work will pay them what they are paid with their set of skills. Not saying they don't love what they do, but I am sure the money is a huge draw. Ric Flair loved wrestling, but he also loved the lifestyle it provided.

If there were so many other lines of work they could turn to, wrestlers wouldn't be flocking conventions to keep food on their tables.

User avatar
class316
Marked Out Historian
Posts: 5819
Joined: March 14th, 2008, 1:49 pm

WOODMO'S PWHF Report w/ Pics

Post by class316 » May 17th, 2009, 7:28 pm

Kris-UK wrote:When you ask for your four slices of ham, you say please to the person serving you.

Don't you??
Nop. Just general politeness and a thanks after it's done. That's how it should be at paid signings as well. I always say please when stalking and such. And a thank you after that.
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets
:hcit:
View my celebrity report Blog http://celebmeets.blogspot.com/

User avatar
WOODMO
Site Admin
Posts: 7145
Joined: March 14th, 2008, 12:46 pm
Location: Long Island, New York

WOODMO'S PWHF Report w/ Pics

Post by WOODMO » May 17th, 2009, 7:54 pm

class316 wrote:
Kris-UK wrote:When you ask for your four slices of ham, you say please to the person serving you.

Don't you??
Nop. Just general politeness and a thanks after it's done. That's how it should be at paid signings as well. I always say please when stalking and such. And a thank you after that.
Exactly.

captainkangaroo77
Full Fledged Mark
Posts: 217
Joined: October 15th, 2008, 11:59 pm
Location: Wilkes-Barre, PA

WOODMO'S PWHF Report w/ Pics

Post by captainkangaroo77 » May 17th, 2009, 10:55 pm

Kris-UK wrote:I just wonder how the Captain acts in such situations :)

Or does he hypnotise the stars into working out what he is thinking, by the power of those eyes?!?!
Image
"Did somebody say Captain?"

I was just enjoying my time away from this board (and that closet homosexual/famed child molester Chris) when the words of a certain UK native (not Bruce Forstythe, surprisingly enough) summoned me to the computer.

To answer your question, Kris, I respond with politeness if the star greets me with such behavior. For example, the late, great Gary Hart was extremely personable and talkative and made a big deal over the item I gave him to sign at the last World Class Reunion at Carson's Pro Wrestling World. Therefore, I shook the man's hand, thanked him for coming and thanked him additonally for venturing cross-country to appear at the store.

In contrast, at Signamania IV, the Dudley Boys acted like they didn't want to be there when the crew and I approached for autographs. D-Von couldn't even bring himself to put his damn cell phone down long enough to say hello, hence I didn't say diddly-shit to either of them.
Image
Come and knock on our door!
We've been waiting for you!
Where the elbowdrops are hers and hers and his,
Three's Madness, too!

bwo4life
Full Fledged Mark
Posts: 116
Joined: March 15th, 2008, 1:30 pm

WOODMO'S PWHF Report w/ Pics

Post by bwo4life » May 17th, 2009, 11:09 pm

That might be true back in the day, but I think some of the newer generation has learned to have something to fall back on.


WOODMO wrote:
franchised wrote:
May 17th, 2009, 5:56 pm

Most wrestlers are fairly uneducated.

User avatar
WOODMO
Site Admin
Posts: 7145
Joined: March 14th, 2008, 12:46 pm
Location: Long Island, New York

WOODMO'S PWHF Report w/ Pics

Post by WOODMO » May 17th, 2009, 11:17 pm

bwo4life wrote:That might be true back in the day, but I think some of the newer generation has learned to have something to fall back on.


WOODMO wrote:
franchised wrote:
May 17th, 2009, 5:56 pm

Most wrestlers are fairly uneducated.
Might be a little less true but the majority of the new class don't come in with college degrees to my knowledge.


Post Reply