Chiller Theatre Saturday 10/26/2013 LOTS of pics!

Place to find reports on meets of the past.
Greg2600
Site Admin

Re: Chiller Theatre Saturday 10/26/2013 LOTS of pics!

Post by Greg2600 »

class316 wrote:Well I chose to save $60 there. My mindset at these cons is to cut down on autographs as much as possible to save money (for example I only got two autographs at Chiller).

She was in the same room as Maryse both Friday and Saturday don't know if she was there Sunday but I assume so.
Rats I think I peeked into that room and saw a bunch of wrestling divas and kept walking! Does Tahnee still look good? As for autographs, I only get certain people who I am a big fan of. At this stage in life, I can afford them, so I figure why not? Almost never do I get an auto without a photo. Photo's always rank higher.
mikeyicon wrote:Weird Al with Jay Levy (who actually is kind of a worthy of a photo op since he wrote and produced UHF and has been Weird Al's manager for a long while). Surprised line wasn't bad on Friday night. Wanted to get the photo with my daughter the following day since she loves him on Yo Gabba Gabba, but figured the lines would be brutal so time to get it then. Since I was paying for a cumbo, I asked the handler should the lines not be crazy and since I paid, could I get an addl. photo without paying for my daughter with Weird Al. They didn't see a problem, but told me to ask him. I did so and while Weird Al looked on, I asked Jay Levy figuring there would be no problem besides the fact I wouldn't wait in line the following day anyway. He looked at me puzzled, and told me what's the big deal to shell out another $30. Uggh! So was Weird Al signed my DVD cover and no signs indicating otherwise, I snapped a photo of him signing the DVD as I do this stuff for a friend/benefactor and need to prove it's signed. Levy tells me that was my photo. I fought tooth and nail and of course got my photo with Weird Al, but this totally ruined the experience and also knocked Weird Al down a notch as well. He seemed very odd anyhow.
Oh yeah when its the managers they are the worst, unlike when it's just some little old lady (often their wives). I have to say, there were a few "handlers" at Chiller that were 20-something women who I was MUCH more interested in talking to than the guests! Ha ha.

In regards to photographing the guest signing, we were discussing this point with someone in line for Ralph Macchio, who was insistent that he got one of those shots with everyone that signed. He said legally you are allowed to do so, for authentication purposes. I don't know whether that is correct or not.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast
mikeyicon
Marked Out Pro

Post by mikeyicon »

Per experience, most guests (especially kid-related) will take photos with the child for nothing as long as there aren't large lines and if you have a decent conversation with them. Guess it depends on how you handle the situation. Half the time, I've gotten photos of celebs with my daughter that I didn't even ask for. :)

Tahnee Welch is Racquel Welch's daughter and most famous for her role in Cocoon. The handler misspoke and indicated it was $30 for an autograph and $20 for a photo. She realized her mistake, but of course didn't honor her original word. I usually double check the rules with the handlers ahead of time so there are no issues when it comes time to take the photograph. Not that important in the scheme of life and always believe you have the choice.

My daughter would have liked to get a photo with mrs. bucket but of course unless it was an absolute must moment, she didn''t really care. It's not the money, it's the principle. When the other Wonka kids were all $25 with photo included, it should be the same. You hope for fairness and reason but know it's not always going to be there.

Now I remember why I don't post much because I have diarrhea of the hands when typing and edit quickly before submitting. :) Sorry for the confusion in my writing.
mikeyicon
Marked Out Pro

Post by mikeyicon »

most will allow you to take a photo of them signing for authenication purposes and also a posed shot if you purchase a combo, but NOT ALL!!! Two I remember off hand that I've experienced issues with in the past who would not do it were: Claudia Wells from Back To The Future, and the dude from Waxwork (can't remember his name). Both times I refused to pay. The ones with the big setups (ex Weird Al, Ace Frehley) usually have crazy rules and you have to negotiate and confirm everything ahead of time to make sure you don't get hosed.
class316
Marked Out God

Post by class316 »

Greg2600 wrote:Rats I think I peeked into that room and saw a bunch of wrestling divas and kept walking! Does Tahnee still look good? As for autographs, I only get certain people who I am a big fan of. At this stage in life, I can afford them, so I figure why not? Almost never do I get an auto without a photo. Photo's always rank higher.
Yea she still looks good. You'll see Joresky's photo op when he posts his report.

Don't know why you say there were "wrestling divas" in that room as Maryse was the only wrestling related name there.

I sadly cannot afford autographs at the prices being charged. It's a struggle to even afford photo ops :depressed:

At Chiller I only got two autographs (Weird Al and Paige O Hara). At NYCC I got only got one paid autograph and that was because it was $20, included a photo op, and it was on a figure I needed to complete. Got John Morton on my Boba Fett figure already signed by Jeremy Bulloch.
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets
Jason1980s
Marked Out King

Post by Jason1980s »

Sad to say times have changed for the worse. I see it every year with the football hall of fame where they used to have signings with 10+ names for $100 and now have moved to the large company signings with $30 on the very low end for players. It's business and it's not changing. A few years from now the Larry Storch's at $20 an autograph and $5 a photo will be long gone. Guys like Larry in the first place are almost non-existent. Fans are finding out years later the sure fire through the mail signers used secretaries to sign. So a number of celebrities never cared in the first place. Can't expect them coming to the shows and caring.

Watch King of Queens and see Lou Ferrigno as the kindly neighbor training the Heffernan's for free and attending the Thanksgiving dinner. I'm sure that would require an appearance fee in real life. He has no shame trying to "teach" Steve Guttenberg the con lessons in ear shot of people. At least pretend to care about fans and do it in complete private.

I went to a Chiller years ago, maybe 2005 or 2006, when Steven Seagal no showed. It was after a Wrestling Reunion that day. I didn't do photos but I remember autographs being reasonable and the celebrities were personable: Afa, Bruno, Kevin McCarthy, Kim Fields, Ken Kercheval, Michael Gross, Jonathan Frakes. I went at a later time though since it was after the WR show so maybe more time to converse.

I also attended a show in Jersey (after 2007 August LOTR) and met Karen Black, Warwick Davis and Amanda Bearse. All very nice, reasonable prices and free photos. I don't do many shows at all anymore and am glad I don't. I'd probably lose my faith in humanity at how most celebrities have gone big business route and just think of fans as "next customer."
Book WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy Valiant for your event!!
PM me!

http://www.jimmyvaliant.weebly.com/

Meet WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy Valiant ANY Sunday 12 noon to 4 PM at Boogie's Wrestling Camp located at
2916 Alleghany Springs Road in Shawsville Virginia. Free of charge!

"I'll never forget what the WWE took away from me. I also want to say I'll never forget all the great things they gave to me"-Bret Hart
class316
Marked Out God

Post by class316 »

Jason1980s wrote:Sad to say times have changed for the worse. I see it every year with the football hall of fame where they used to have signings with 10+ names for $100 and now have moved to the large company signings with $30 on the very low end for players. It's business and it's not changing. A few years from now the Larry Storch's at $20 an autograph and $5 a photo will be long gone. Guys like Larry in the first place are almost non-existent. Fans are finding out years later the sure fire through the mail signers used secretaries to sign. So a number of celebrities never cared in the first place. Can't expect them coming to the shows and caring.

Watch King of Queens and see Lou Ferrigno as the kindly neighbor training the Heffernan's for free and attending the Thanksgiving dinner. I'm sure that would require an appearance fee in real life. He has no shame trying to "teach" Steve Guttenberg the con lessons in ear shot of people. At least pretend to care about fans and do it in complete private.

I went to a Chiller years ago, maybe 2005 or 2006, when Steven Seagal no showed. It was after a Wrestling Reunion that day. I didn't do photos but I remember autographs being reasonable and the celebrities were personable: Afa, Bruno, Kevin McCarthy, Kim Fields, Ken Kercheval, Michael Gross, Jonathan Frakes. I went at a later time though since it was after the WR show so maybe more time to converse.

I also attended a show in Jersey (after 2007 August LOTR) and met Karen Black, Warwick Davis and Amanda Bearse. All very nice, reasonable prices and free photos. I don't do many shows at all anymore and am glad I don't. I'd probably lose my faith in humanity at how most celebrities have gone big business route and just think of fans as "next customer."
That's why I don't do too many shows and when I do I cut down on autographs. I have no money to do these things.

In 2013 the only major shows I did were WW Philly, NYCC, and Chiller Halloween. And at NYCC most of what I got was free. The rest were all minor shows where I only got 2-3 people.
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets
Greg2600
Site Admin

Post by Greg2600 »

class316 wrote:Yea she still looks good. You'll see Joresky's photo op when he posts his report.

Don't know why you say there were "wrestling divas" in that room as Maryse was the only wrestling related name there.

I sadly cannot afford autographs at the prices being charged. It's a struggle to even afford photo ops :depressed:

At Chiller I only got two autographs (Weird Al and Paige O Hara). At NYCC I got only got one paid autograph and that was because it was $20, included a photo op, and it was on a figure I needed to complete. Got John Morton on my Boba Fett figure already signed by Jeremy Bulloch.
It's so damn crowded there, but I think my friend Rob saw Omarosa's name on the room and we skipped it! In terms of auto's, what's odd is I'm so cheap I was refusing many guests a couple years ago, but not now. It's a sickness! As for NYCC, the only way to get free autographs of anyone of note was to win one of those raffles they had.

Jason, the athletes are the absolute worst. I'd love to get a picture with Joe Montana or Dan Marino, let's say, but the costs are insane. The prices being charged for instance at Pinstripe Perfection are outrageous.
mikeyicon
Marked Out Pro

Post by mikeyicon »

I always said I'd go to these types of shows until they weren't fun anymore. The first few Chiller shows were so reasonable and amazing, photos free without purchasing anything, and you could chill with guests and talk about their careers for minutes upon minutes. Then I noticed some price increases but some amazing guests. I would never pay to take a photo with anybody and don't care much about autographs, but still wanted the photos. So I found a benefactor and worked these shows to get his stuff signed and I would get the photo opp and it was still fun. Now, although not as bad as it's probably going to get, I get caught in situations where it's additional $$$ for a photo op beyond the price for the signature and starting to become more of a nuisance. Is it fun anymore, or can I spend my time on more meaningful things. I'm no business major, but I would think $25 combos would make both fans and guests happy and everyone wins, but of course there are egos and many put potential dollar signs in front of logic. It's funny that Robert Hayes ($25 for combo. Per my convo with him and his handler Sean Clark from conv all-stars who does a great job, Hayes wanted to do them for free but was told no jokingly) and Kim Coates ($30 for combo and also super nice) probably did very well since their prices were reasonable and they actually are relevant and have had impressive things on their resume (Airplane and Sons Of Anarchy-of course subjective only but you get the point). Then you have the Maryses, Brande Rodericks, and Lou Ferrignos of the circuit!
WartHog

Post by WartHog »

Mikeyicon: I was right behind you in Weird Al's line when the photo thing went down with Levy. With his reaction, you'd think you shat on his children or something. What the hell?! I couldn't hear everything that was being said and I can sympathize with both sides here. But, I would've thought a perfectly fine compromise would be delete the photo you "stole" and take a new one with you, him and the signed goods. It makes me appreciate Ace's policy of "don't even take your camera out". I don't LIKE that policy, but I get it.
Greg2600
Site Admin

Post by Greg2600 »

Mikey, the convention all-stars guests were $20 combos. I was so surprised, I thanked them for the low price, to which Zach Galligan responded that it's a "recession special!" Unfortunately you're not going to take the middle man out of it now. These convention handler companies have moved in, and they're not going away. I DO feel the pain of anyone who really can't afford to get these though. In terms of Robert Hayes, you have to credit the handlers for getting so many "first time" convention guests like him were brought out of the mothballs.
mikeyicon
Marked Out Pro

Post by mikeyicon »

Going back to the good old days of Chiller, I chatted with Zach Galligan for half an hour about working with Phoebe Cates, the production of Gremlins 2, and he took a photo with me like it was not a chore and it cost me nothing. Had nothing to get signed, nor did I care for an autograph. Would that have happened this past weekend, probably not, unless I wanted to devote energy! BTW, nice report on Chiller.

Warthog, that's so awesome and ironic you were there to see what happened. Good stuff! I have a benefactor who gives me stuff to sign in which I got the photo with the celebs for nothing per our agreement. I don't have to do it, but considering I am doing a service and to prove I don't take his money and sign it myself, I always take the photo of the guest signing to provide authentication unless I know about rules ahead of time. Nowhere did I see any signs indicating you couldn't do so. Even though Levy was angry and wanted extra cash for something so silly, he knew he was wrong, and took the photo of me and Weird Al which came out great. Yeah, you have to be careful with Ace's set-up, and at least his sign indicates no photos, which means no money or time from me as he was on my list but know his rules are pretty out there regardless of his usual long lines (although there was no line for him when I thought about it). Funny that at my first Chiller show when I was green at this whole deal, I paid to get an autograph for Ace since I am a KISS fan even though autographs don't do much for me. When I asked if I could get a photo of him signing since I didn't want to pay extra to take a photo, they said sure. Ironically as I was chatting with Ace, he asked where the camera was and took the picture with me anyway. I believe if you are genuine and per the situation, you can sometimes beat the system and keeping your dignity. Or at least it was maybe easier a few years ago.
Greg2600
Site Admin

Post by Greg2600 »

Should anyone care to listen, here's our Chiller review podcast episode.

http://www.paunchstevenson.com/2013/11/03/episode-229/
lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 »

Tbt