Nov 2 & 3, 2003: Liza Minnelli & CBS at 75

Place to find reports on meets of the past.
heelorton79
Marked Out Master

Nov 2 & 3, 2003: Liza Minnelli & CBS at 75

Post by heelorton79 »

So I was going through some old pics from my collection and decided to write my first flashback report. CBS was having its 75th anniversary, "CBS at 75" and from what I can recall most of the guests were being put up at the same spot...but not all I have to say I truly enjoyed the hobby much more back then than I do now. That isn't too say spots like this one didn't get crowded or that there weren't idiot collectors and dealers around who didn't know how to act in a public setting. Now, the hobby in NY almost resembles a high school cafeteria and I guarantee you take some of these young collectors today and put them at "CBS at 75" and they wouldn't have any clue who most of the stars were..but they surely would ask for photos anyway. So I look back at these pictures with a fondness...this was 15 years ago and the celebrities have aged...three of them are no longer with us (Bonnie, Jack, and Harvey). I only wish I would have been more aggressive with some of the more difficult ones (not saying that Klugman was a walk in the park by any means) or that I would have made sure to get some names that aren't alive anymore. In particular, some names that I wanted photos with that attended were Larry Hagman, Sherman Hemsley, Isabel Sanford (only 8 months prior to her death), Marla Gibbs, Jamie Farr, Tina Louise, Susan St. James, Mary Tyler Moore, and Jim Nabors (who I did manage to get an autograph from). The day after the event I continued to get photos and that night I got Deion Sanders who was there for the event. We were surprised he stopped because back then he was very difficult (not sure how he is these days). Moments later, Liza Minnelli arrived. Now she was not part of the event, but I recall she was coming back from a performance. I can't remember if I was waiting for her, or if this was just a random surprise. Either way, she was very nice and an awesome way to end the two days.
Here are the photos..I put the names of the CBS shows that they were known for at the time except Fabares, who I think was just there with Farrell. If I have time, I may put up more of these in the future.

Liza Minnelli

Tom Smothers (The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour)

Dick Smothers (The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour)

June Lockhart (Lassie, Lost in Space, Petticoat Junction)

Bonnie Franklin (One Day at a Time)

Sharon Gless (Cagney & Lacey)

Tyne Daly (Cagney and Lacey, Judging Amy)

Dawn Wells (Gilligan's Island)

John Schneider (Dukes of Hazzard)

Donna MIlls (Knots Landing)

Joan Van Arc (Knots Landing)

Mike Farrell (MASH)

Shelley Fabares (The Donna Reed Show)

Jane Seymour (Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman)

Tom Skerritt (Picket Fences)

Richard Thomas (The Waltons)

David Morse (Hack)

Kevin James (King of Queens)

Patricia Heaton (Everybody Loves Raymond)

Brad Garrett (Everybody Loves Raymond)

Jack Klugman (The Odd Couple)

Harvey Korman (The Carol Burnett Show)

Valerie Harper (The Mary Tyler Moore Show, Rhoda)

Joe Regalbuto (Murphy Brown)

Rob Morrow (Northern Exposure)

Deion Sanders (The NFL Today)
lanza218
Site Admin

Re: Nov 2 & 3, 2003: Liza Minnelli & CBS at 75

Post by lanza218 »

Wow. Talk about a rack fest. Klugman is awesome. Wow. What kind of camera did you have back in the day? I remember my younger days with disposable being the only option. I
Greg2600
Site Admin

Post by Greg2600 »

Incredible, would have won report of the year back then! Favs for me would be Korman #1 for Mel Brooks films, also the Smothers Brothers, Shelly from Coach, Jane Seymour (who still looks great), and Tom Skerritt.

:boom: :rackfest: :praise:

PS: Deion is still jerky. How was June Lockhart? I've heard horror stories about her Chiller appearances.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast
class316
Marked Out God

Post by class316 »

Wow, a report from the pre digital age.
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets
capman
Marked Out King

Post by capman »

Wow, the Jack Klugman alone is fantastic.....Always regretted not goign to broadway to try to get him and Randell when they did The Sunshine boys in 98. Nice work.
WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO »

Man this is tremendous. Jealous of the Klugman especially, but there are a ton of sick shots! I really like the retro aged Everybody Loves Raymond people and Kevin James.

Sherman Helmsley was difficult? I really only saw him at that Oaks, PA con where I got him, but I never saw him anywhere else to actually know his temperament.
heelorton79
Marked Out Master

Post by heelorton79 »

Thanks guys!
lanza218 wrote: March 1st, 2017, 10:44 pm Wow. Talk about a rack fest. Klugman is awesome. Wow. What kind of camera did you have back in the day? I remember my younger days with disposable being the only option. I
Either a 35mm or one of the more pricey disposables..maybe a Fuji brand
WOODMO wrote: March 2nd, 2017, 9:07 am Sherman Helmsley was difficult? I really only saw him at that Oaks, PA con where I got him, but I never saw him anywhere else to actually know his temperament.
Not sure really, I remember he didn't do anything coming back from the event, when I got a handful of those names. I remember hearing that he was tough. That is my favorite photo of yours.
Btvsp3
Marked Out Pro

Post by Btvsp3 »

Wow! This is amazing! Really jealous about a lot of these names!
Follow me on Instagram: StevenLesser