Blackhawks Live!

Place to find reports on meets of the past.
vmars322
Marking Out Amateur

Blackhawks Live!

Post by vmars322 »

Last Friday I attended the Chicago Blackhawks game against Buffalo (Victory in OT!!) and it got me thinking about a cool event the organization used to put on. It was called Blackhawks Live! It started during the 2011-2012 season. Each month two players would do an hour long radio interview at a Chicago area restaurant. Attendees received an autographed poster, a photo op with the players, and a steak dinner (you listened to the interview while you ate). Tickets were $100 a pop.

During the first year of this event getting a ticket was next to impossible. You had to call the restaurant and hope you didn't get a busy signal. Out of the first three shows of the season I only managed to get through once and was promptly hung up on before I could get a word in edgewise.

I was annoyed at this process so I wrote a letter to Rocky Wirtz (chairman of the team) complimenting the Blackhawks on all the things they do well and criticizing them on the handling of this event. A few weeks later I received two complimentary VIP tickets in the mail to the final show of the season.

My dad and I got to meet and greet with Marian Hossa and Jamal Mayers before the rest of the attendees were let in and then got the usual photo op, poster, and dinner.

After the lockout ended in 2013 the event was revived. This time around the venue was much bigger and you bought your tickets through Ticketmaster. It was so much easier and I was able to attend all three shows that year.

Andrew Shaw & Patrick Kane

Daniel Carcillo & Brandon Saad

Jonathan Toews & Corey Crawford

Blackhawks Live continued off and on for a while, but none of the players were any I was dying to meet so I stopped going. The event has ceased to exist, but it was a really fun time while it lasted :)