Premium Photo Ops at Wrestling Conventions?

Discuss general topics dealing with the hobby.
ICW
Marked Out King

Re: Legends Of The Ring 25 (October 21st, 2017)

Post by ICW » September 12th, 2017, 2:54 pm

I've never felt LOTR was disorganized. I do think the people who run both LOTR and Big Event could be more efficient and more creative/open to things
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

cmshowstopper
Marked Out Master

Post by cmshowstopper » September 12th, 2017, 6:16 pm

ICW wrote:
September 12th, 2017, 10:06 am
LOTR tried for a dual platinum guest w/Edge & Christian but Christian had to cancel. E&C dual photo op is something I've missed out on TWICE because Edge cancelled the first time, Christian the second.

Would you guys pay for a dual shot of E&C and then a trio shot of, say, Edge/Christian/Gangrel or Edge/Christian/Rhino? What would you pay for a photo op of Edge & Christian/Hardys/Dudleys?
ZERO interest in just Edge/Christian/Rhino. Add Handsome Johnny Bradford, Big Daddy Adams and Joe E. Legend....then Im in. THUG LIFE!

Brood and the tag teams...most definitely. I'd bring a ladder as a prop.
ICW wrote:
September 12th, 2017, 10:28 am

Gillberg actually wanted to do a dual photo op w/Goldberg at Big Event but that was turned down.
Gee...I wonder why. More money for Gillberg...less for the promoters that bring Goldberg.
WOODMO wrote:
September 12th, 2017, 10:34 am
I will say, wrestling promoters seem unable/unwilling to go the extra mile most times for the minor details.
I'll go as far as to say they seem unWILLING to add major details like being creative with duals and trios, etc. Ive heard many tell me it because the singles will sell out or close to sell out...so why bother going an extra mile for no real extra money. Its a dollars and sense situation. Until fans stop coming for Platinum guests (Im guilty too) without being creative...promoters will not need to do anything else. How can you convince promoter X that Edge as a platinum guest is not enough and he needs to do duals when Edge is selling out or virtually selling out as a single? All the promoter is doing is risking more money for less reward and adding an additional headache. Ironically, this is the same thing we have discussed in that GFW thread. As long as Vince gets the money....he doesnt care if takes a shit in a bucket and calls it Raw. And thats virtually what he is doing right now anyway.
Greg2600 wrote:
September 12th, 2017, 10:55 am
It's easy for WWE to do these types of shots, because everyone is already under contract. When you try putting together wrestlers from various independent promoters/vendors, forget it. You can't blame these people. Each group op is taking away from individual's that the wrestler and vendor could be selling. Furthermore, when you start stacking wrestler after wrestler on these shots, the price goes up. As the price goes up, the # of prospective buyers goes down. Having been to several of these shows, I can confidently say that big spenders tend to prefer autographs over these special photos. So if you get 20 people for these mega-group ops, is it worth it? Not really.
Yup. I think wrestling, like sports in general....the fans are more into the autos than they are the photo. And the promoters are clearly selling WAY more autos than they are photos. In the celeb world, I think we see a closer 50/50 situation.
Greg2600 wrote:
September 12th, 2017, 11:14 am
I think it's been beat to death frankly. I personally want nothing to do with the cross-vendor group photos. Not unless they sell the ops as going off at a specific time at a specific place. This will never happen. LOTR are one of the few who can accomplish this, and they only do it for their Platinum guests.
I definitely see your POV. But if promoter X is bring Edge...there is no reason for them to have to have cross vendor it. They should either land Edge & Christian or they should partner with another promoter to bring both parties in under one flag. That way there is no political BS. There is no promoter thinking they have the most valuable asset. When booking the nWo trio....Hulk Hogan is the valuable asset. Nash and Hall are secondary...one probably not worth more than the other. And if one was, Nash would get just the tiniest of edges. I think with any of these group ops...its pretty damn clear there is an A, B, C, etc. Not hard and unless you dont watch wrestling at all....you know who the A is and who the B is.
ICW wrote:
September 12th, 2017, 2:54 pm
I've never felt LOTR was disorganized.
100% agreed. Ive been to enough of these and LOTR is run pretty damn smooth, especially in a business that is known for egos and utter disorganization. Even the tiny moments where there has been a bit of a much brewing...James usually leaps in and fixes it right away, even if it requires him to take over himself.

But I dont want everyone to be organized. I was at a con this year that was so disorganized...admission, auto tickets and photo op tickets were not needed. I swore I saw some people at the hotel just come inside the rooms and get autos and photos without paying a dime. Makes me feel so sick that I spent a dime. I should have just gone.
http://www.cmshowstopper.com/ Official Webpage Of CM Showstopper

http://www.fallenangelchristopherdaniels.com Official Webpage of Christopher Daniels

crossfire
Marking Out Amateur

Post by crossfire » September 12th, 2017, 7:11 pm

ICW wrote:
September 12th, 2017, 2:54 pm
I've never felt LOTR was disorganized. I do think the people who run both LOTR and Big Event could be more efficient and more creative/open to things
Agreed. Lotr has always been run well imo. They have had issues like every con has but they get corrected. I was only at big event once but thought it was run fine...just too crowded in main vendor area.

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » September 12th, 2017, 8:14 pm

I will split this topic off later FWIW. It's a great discussion

WOODMO
Site Admin

Re: Premium Photo Ops at Wrestling Conventions?

Post by WOODMO » September 13th, 2017, 8:39 am

For the record, I don't mean the need for big group ops, I just mean even something as simple as Jake having a snake, a gimmick add on, etc. Look how long it took someone to get Mick Foley to wear a Mankind mask

ICW
Marked Out King

Post by ICW » September 13th, 2017, 9:58 am

I'm all in for tag team/gimmick photo ops. I think they just need to be handled way better. I remember there was one Big Event where two vendors offered up a Rock 'n' Roll Express/Midnight Express (w/Jim Cornette) photo op...and they were literally sitting across from one another. One of the people who was w/the Rock 'n' Roll Express had to walk me over to the Midnight Express table for a photo op.

Then there was that one year where Hall and Nash sat next to each other but they didn't want to keep getting up and down for a group photo. Nash even asked why they didn't just do group photos first.

They just have talent sign and then do group/tag photos after, in another room, similar to how they do those bikini pictures lol
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » September 13th, 2017, 10:02 am

Greg Price in Charlotte always seemed to get good group photos put together, but beyond him many people don't seem to value that.

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » September 13th, 2017, 10:16 am

ICW wrote:
September 13th, 2017, 9:58 am
Then there was that one year where Hall and Nash sat next to each other but they didn't want to keep getting up and down for a group photo. Nash even asked why they didn't just do group photos first.
Yes, Nash was being a dick. I literally had to drag Hall over to him to get the group op.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

ICW
Marked Out King

Post by ICW » September 13th, 2017, 12:12 pm

I wonder if Big Event would be better off doing everything in a block schedule considering how packed the main vendor room is. Autographs first then photo ops later.

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » September 13th, 2017, 1:43 pm

ICW wrote:
September 13th, 2017, 12:12 pm
I wonder if Big Event would be better off doing everything in a block schedule considering how packed the main vendor room is. Autographs first then photo ops later.
Would lose me. Hate that.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » September 13th, 2017, 4:09 pm

Hate

ICW
Marked Out King

Post by ICW » September 13th, 2017, 4:30 pm

See, I'd probably prefer it but I could see how that would be problematic.

cmshowstopper
Marked Out Master

Post by cmshowstopper » September 13th, 2017, 7:21 pm

Greg2600 wrote:
September 13th, 2017, 10:16 am
ICW wrote:
September 13th, 2017, 9:58 am
Yes, Nash was being a dick. I literally had to drag Hall over to him to get the group op.
Nash says his knees bother him. I can understand it. And he DEFINITELY has a point. Up and down, up and down makes no sense.
http://www.cmshowstopper.com/ Official Webpage Of CM Showstopper

http://www.fallenangelchristopherdaniels.com Official Webpage of Christopher Daniels