Japanese Wrestling Trip

Discuss general topics dealing with the hobby.
Bobby
Full Fledged Mark

Re: Japanese Wrestling Trip

Post by Bobby » August 9th, 2017, 3:45 pm

AJLe wrote:
August 8th, 2017, 10:55 pm
Well, it's official: I'm going back to Japan! Wrestling will obviously be a big part of it (I'll be there during the WrestleKingdom week), but I'm going to enjoy myself - any "meets" will be a bonus, and likely to be at actual events, not on the street stuff, unless something just falls into my lap.

Flight booked, hotel booked, two week stay - 10 years to the week of my last trip. Can't wait.
See you there!

AJLe
Marked Out King

Post by AJLe » October 24th, 2017, 11:42 pm

WrestleKingdom ticket bought!

:score:

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » October 24th, 2017, 11:49 pm

AJLe wrote:
October 24th, 2017, 11:42 pm
WrestleKingdom ticket bought!

:score:
I look forward to the report
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets
:hcit:
View my celebrity report Blog http://celebmeets.blogspot.com/

crowbar
Marked Out King

Post by crowbar » October 25th, 2017, 5:21 am

I enjoyed my time in japan. Fun weird country.

Luke
Marked Out King

Post by Luke » November 18th, 2017, 6:17 am

Myself and the girlfriend are strongly considering heading to Japan mid next year. We're in a good spot because right now she works casually and my employer is fine with employees taking time off. We're excited to soak in the culture and watch some sumo, karate, visit historical Japanese sites and all that other tourist stuff. Of course professional wrestling is also on the cards.

I'm looking to attend some of the more expensive events. Looking to go to Michinoku Pro to see Sasuke, Shinzaki and Dick Togo. Of course Kaientai Dojo will be on the list also so I can see Taka Michinoku. Real Japan held an event in September which featured Original Tiger Mask, Tajiri and Ultimo Dragon so if they're offering a card like that I'd certainly attend (Tickets run at about 60.00 for the cheap seats). Apart from those I'll probably attend some of the smaller and cheaper events although it seems in Japan the only time you can find ten dollar show tickets is if you're a student or if you're attending a dojo show.

crowbar
Marked Out King

Post by crowbar » November 18th, 2017, 7:08 am

I only saw one poster for wrestling during my week and a half trip

AJLe
Marked Out King

Post by AJLe » November 18th, 2017, 8:08 pm

The two weekw I'm going, I could pretty much go to Korakuen Hall every day to see wrestling, and often see two in one day. It's insane how much wrestling is going on in the same city and the same venues.

hack87
Full Fledged Mark

Post by hack87 » November 18th, 2017, 8:26 pm

AJ, will you be seeing Tiger Mask (Sayama), Kensuke Sasaki, Tiger Chung Lee or any of the '70s / '80s / '90s wrestlers who worked the territories or WCW?

AJLe
Marked Out King

Post by AJLe » November 19th, 2017, 7:35 am

hack87 wrote:
November 18th, 2017, 8:26 pm
AJ, will you be seeing Tiger Mask (Sayama), Kensuke Sasaki, Tiger Chung Lee or any of the '70s / '80s / '90s wrestlers who worked the territories or WCW?
At this point, it doesn't look likely, unless it's by dumb luck. There's several retired Japanese wrestlers who own bars/restaurants in Tokyo, or still make the occasional cameo match at shows, but I haven't come across any information on any of those people yet.

Luke
Marked Out King

Post by Luke » November 26th, 2017, 2:03 am

AJLe wrote:
November 19th, 2017, 7:35 am
hack87 wrote:
November 18th, 2017, 8:26 pm
At this point, it doesn't look likely, unless it's by dumb luck. There's several retired Japanese wrestlers who own bars/restaurants in Tokyo, or still make the occasional cameo match at shows, but I haven't come across any information on any of those people yet.
Hypothetically lets once again say you're in Tokyo and you're there right now (Randomly at the end of November where no big shows are held) and aren't willing to travel an hour out of Tokyo. Names appearing in your 2 weeks:

- 26.11.2017 (Today) - Shin Kiba First Ring (Very small venue I believe) - AJPW - Appearing: Dory Funk Jr, Jun Akiyama, Takao Omori, Osamu Nishimura, Nosawa Rongai, Yoshihiro Tajiri

- 27.11.2017 - None

- 28.11.2017 - DIFFER CUP (DDT, K-Dojo, NOAH and Zero-1 combined event) - Appearing: Naomichi Marafuji (ROH/TNA appearances), Taiji Ishimori (TNA X-Division Champion)

- 29.11.2017 - None

- 30.11.2017 - Korakuen Hall - NJPW - Appearing: Sami Callihan, Bullet Club B-Team, Seiya Sanada, Will Ospreay, Michael Elgin, Trent Baretta, Davey Boy Smith Jr, Lance Hoyt

- 1.12.2017 - Shin-Kiba First Ring - DDT - Appearing: Dick Togo

- 2.12.2017 - Shin-Kiba First Ring - GUTS WORLD - Appearing: Dick Togo

- 3.12.2017 - Chiba Blue Field - Kaientai Dojo - Appearing: Taka Michinoku
- Korakuen Hall - Pro Wrestling NOAH - Appearing: Eddie Edwards and Moose (TNA)
- Chiba Blue Field - Wrestle-1 - The Great Muta (I assume), NOSAWA

- 4.12.2017 - None

- 5.12.2017 - None

- 6.12.2017 - None

- 7.12.2017 - Korakuen Hall - Real Japan Pro Wrestling - Appearing: Original Tiger Mask

- 8.12.2017 - None

- 9.12.2017 - None

- 10.12.2017 - Chiba Blue Field - Kaientai Dojo - Appearing: TAKA Michinoku

So in a 2 week period that's quite a few name talents. TAKA, Muta, Togo, Original Tiger Mask, Marafuji, Dory Funk, Omori, Akiyama, Tajiri and Nishimura are all guys I'd class as "legends" of Japanese wrestling. A few TNA guys and NOSAWA Rongai has done quite a bit of work in North America.

This is just a random two weeks. You're there during the grand daddy of them all in terms of Japanese wrestling. Assuming you get there December 31st you'd get to see the joint BJW/DDT/K-Dojo show they hold every year on January 1st, NJPW January 4th and already six weeks out AJPW, BJW, DDT, K-Dojo, NOAH and of course NJPW are running in Tokyo during that one week. I'm sure pretty much everyone who is worth a damn in Japanese wrestling will be in Tokyo the same time you're there.

ICW
Marked Out King

Post by ICW » November 26th, 2017, 2:47 am

I'd be curious how to get those wrestlers. Outside of the show? Do they have pre-show signings?
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

AJLe
Marked Out King

Post by AJLe » November 26th, 2017, 10:52 am

ICW wrote:
November 26th, 2017, 2:47 am
I'd be curious how to get those wrestlers. Outside of the show? Do they have pre-show signings?
When I was there last it was 2008, so things may have changed, but during my last trip, just about every show (other than the big Tokyo Dome one) had merch tables set up either before or after where the workers were available. And the couple of times my group tried for street meets, either before or after a show, we were literally the only ones waiting and everybody we saw stopped, so apparently (at least 10 years ago) the Japanese local fans hadn't "ruined" wrestlers from stopping outside of shows.

If somebody's in Tokyo, chances are that there's a lot more cool things to do or see than there will be time for, so if a guy's at an advertised show that you want, I'd just buy a ticket and get him inside. Between the money spent and the limited time available, you don't need to be wasting hours waiting outside a parking lot for a wrestler who would quickly and easily sign inside the venue.