The future of wrestling conventions

Discuss general topics dealing with the hobby.
ICW
Marked Out Master

The future of wrestling conventions

Post by ICW » February 20th, 2018, 12:20 pm

Okay, so I had a really interesting conversation with a vendor or two regarding the future of wrestling-centric conventions; mainly, some think they're dying out or will hit a significant lull until new top-tier talent can headline conventions.

The current group of wrestling headliners is Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Edge & Christian, Sting, and Goldberg (he's been popping up more and more - he's headlining the Standalone Wrestling Atlantic City convention in the summer).

Those are all marquee names who draw well and seemingly attract good business...but they're around. A lot.

There's talk about scooping up the Big Show and Kane as new headliners; that said, I have no clue what Big Show's current contract with WWE looks like. I've heard that Kane may be doable - I've heard a price, which is in the thousands - but it's unclear if he can be brought in considering he's still under a WWE contract and he's running for mayor of Knoxville, TN.

So, as of right now, there's been some chatter that wrestling cons might enter a lull. We're going to see the same names both big (Scott Hall, Mick Foley) and small (think former and current TNA talent).

A vendor told me that he's done booking rare names because rare names simply do not sell. Fans say they want a change but then don't want to pay to meet them.

Everyone is asking for Hogan but his price has increased and there's also the whole "racist rant" that he went on.

So yeah...I'm thinking these wrestling cons will mostly stay the same. We're going to see that group of headliners continuously recycled until Big Show and Kane are free, we're going to see the same vendor guests because they usually do well, and we aren't getting many rare guests because people refuse to pay the price to meet them.

One vendor thinks the day of big wrestling cons may be over, that it might get smaller and smaller. One had the idea of running smaller conventions every few months. We'll see...
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

WOODMO
Site Admin

Re: The future of wrestling conventions

Post by WOODMO » February 20th, 2018, 12:28 pm

We had this same discussion 10 years ago and they never really changed, so I think it'll be the same here.

Maybe some shows die out, new ones pop up, new fans join in and people like me cut back to nearly nothing due to having accomplished everything already. But the game will stay the same.

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » February 20th, 2018, 12:42 pm

Agree. And really depends what you mean by headliner. Goldberg aint doin a LOTR or Big Event.

wewantflair
Site Admin

Post by wewantflair » February 20th, 2018, 12:42 pm

I would also not put much stock into what vendors at these shows tell you, as the vast majority are some combination of con artist, ignoramus, and idiot (many are all 3).

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » February 20th, 2018, 12:49 pm

lanza218 wrote:
February 20th, 2018, 12:42 pm
Agree. And really depends what you mean by headliner. Goldberg aint doin a LOTR or Big Event.
He's done Big Event
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » February 20th, 2018, 12:50 pm

wewantflair wrote:
I would also not put much stock into what vendors at these shows tell you, as the vast majority are some combination of con artist, ignoramus, and idiot (many are all 3).
This is true but I do trust some of the guys I talk to for various reasons.

Apparently, WrestleCon has become their #1 focus with BE/LOTR secondary

oldschoolwwwf
Marked Out Master

Post by oldschoolwwwf » February 20th, 2018, 4:02 pm

When terence/ james and barth stop making a profit, they will stop running their 2x a year conventions. these guys don't do this for a love of wrestling or because they are marks who just want to be around wrestlers...they do it because its profitable. When/ if it ceases to be, they will stop running.

Greg price used to run every year for many years. They were fantastic shows. But when he stopped making money, he stopped running.

Wrestlecon obviously is a difference maker for all promoters/ vendors. I expect a big year from them with mania in NJ in '19.

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » February 20th, 2018, 4:18 pm

Yeah, I think things will stay the same which is...blah. IDK. I'll keep going as long as I need 'graphs on things I care about

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » February 20th, 2018, 6:34 pm

Most of the rare guests just make a fuck you price when asked because they don’t really want to do it but figure let someone be dumb enough to pay. Truthfully the only variable that could change would be the rare ones’ desire to do it.

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » February 20th, 2018, 6:42 pm

I agree with :pauuuse:

It happened before it will happen again. Slowdowns are inevitable for anything not just wrestling cons. Once things slow down, vendors will exit. Then once things start booming again more vendors will enter. This is not a wrestling con thing but Economics 101.

That being said, if rare names don't make it to cons I will have no interest. I will go to cons for names like Lenny Lane and Psychosis not names like Big Show and Kane. As a general rule of thumb for me if I have a great photo op I don't pay for the person ever again. Though I'll pay again for :suited: photo ops as those can be considered upgrades and I will always pay for upgrades, be it due to blurry shot, due to :hatshades: or other reasons.

Wrestlecon is a different animal as that happens the same time as Wrestlemania.
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets
:hcit:
View my celebrity report Blog http://celebmeets.blogspot.com/

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » February 20th, 2018, 9:43 pm

ICW wrote:
February 20th, 2018, 12:49 pm
lanza218 wrote:
He's done Big Event

Meant again. You cant keep churning out the same names/prices

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » February 21st, 2018, 9:28 am

My issue with cons at this point is location, location, location! I go to Big Event because it's in Queens and I hop on the LIE and I'm there in under an hour. If Big Event went under and I was left with LOTR or another NJ con, I would just live without the Summer Rae's of the world I lack. I would need a big name, like Brock, to do a NJ wrestling con to get me there. Even the WWE names likely to make the rounds in the future (Kane, Show, Bryan, etc) I am good on.

wewantflair
Site Admin

Post by wewantflair » February 21st, 2018, 9:51 am

It’s just funny to see this topic come up, since it’s come up before many times over the years. I look at something like Big Event and realize I don’t know who half the names even are. If they are making money with those names, good for them. The same “big names” will always, always draw - Bret, Shawn, Hall, Nash, Edge, Goldberg, Hogan, Flair, etc. That list used to include Piper, Dusty, Warrior.......

For newer board members, it might seem like those names have been around forever, but many of us were around when they were all fresh. The problem is that there are no “big names” to really replace that old guard once they die off. Will Orton or Kane be a lasting draw like Bret or Nash? Probably not. So tonsome extent the cons will have to change once the current crop of headliners dies. But that probably won’t happen for a while anyway.

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » February 21st, 2018, 10:07 am

The current crop of headliners benefit from *always* having new merchandise, mostly action figures. They'll always draw.

I guess the concern is with the actual vendor guests, which usually make up the bulk of the actual convention guest list. I see a lot of people complain about the same ole, same ole, but what else can they do?

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » February 21st, 2018, 4:14 pm

There hasnt been much if any nee Bret merch since his last BE do idk about that. Again unless your a fig collector these guys are one and done for the older fans