Forced Validity

Discuss general topics dealing with the hobby.
class316
Marked Out Historian

Re: Forced Validity

Post by class316 » December 21st, 2016, 5:48 pm

Even the obscure lower tier horror names that AJLe goes for I may not know at first glance, once I look up their wiki bio I usually go "ohh yea...that one" so it surprises me when some people say 90% of the celebs people get are unknown to them. Personally unless it's a strictly TV name from a show I have never watched, I can always at the very least look up the name and recognize the person from their body of work.

As for me, unless it's a major or iconic name, I don't go for names unless I actually enjoy some of their stuff. So you don't see me dedicate time and effort like Joresky does a lot of times. For Joresky "it's a name I don't have" and that's good enough reason for him to pull the trigger. I would rather an autograph of someone I'm a fan of over a photo op of someone I don't care for.

Now I do rack up every name in front of me when I'm on a mission for someone as I will never pass up a photo op that's right in front of me. So that's where people confuse me for :gottacatchthemall:
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets
:hcit:
View my celebrity report Blog http://celebmeets.blogspot.com/

AsianDave
Marked Out Master

Post by AsianDave » December 21st, 2016, 6:00 pm

class316 wrote:...As for me, unless it's a major or iconic name, I don't go for names unless I actually enjoy some of their stuff. So you don't see me dedicate time and effort like Joresky does a lot of times. For Joresky "it's a name I don't have" and that's good enough reason for him to pull the trigger. I would rather an autograph of someone I'm a fan of over a photo op of someone I don't care for.

Now I do rack up every name in front of me when I'm on a mission for someone as I will never pass up a photo op that's right in front of me. So that's where people confuse me for :gottacatchthemall:
Unless this somehow got lost in translation, you just pretty much contradicted yourself! :WHAT22:

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » December 21st, 2016, 6:31 pm

class316 wrote:Even the obscure lower tier horror names that AJLe goes for I may not know at first glance, once I look up their wiki bio I usually go "ohh yea...that one" so it surprises me when some people say 90% of the celebs people get are unknown to them. Personally unless it's a strictly TV name from a show I have never watched, I can always at the very least look up the name and recognize the person from their body of work.

As for me, unless it's a major or iconic name, I don't go for names unless I actually enjoy some of their stuff. So you don't see me dedicate time and effort like Joresky does a lot of times. For Joresky "it's a name I don't have" and that's good enough reason for him to pull the trigger. I would rather an autograph of someone I'm a fan of over a photo op of someone I don't care for.

Yeah it's rare I pass up on anyone I see whth a decent resume but I don't Pokémon as my mission like Jerry

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » December 21st, 2016, 6:56 pm

WOODMO wrote:Yeah it's rare I pass up on anyone I see whth a decent resume but I don't Pokémon as my mission like Jerry
Same

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » December 21st, 2016, 7:02 pm

Hey, I get wrestlers from the Indies and Japan. We all have different criteria although a lot of those guys, mainly from NJPW, are bigger deals to me than anyone I could get in WWE (except Undertaker). Tanashi, Okada, Naito > getting Cena for me.
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » December 22nd, 2016, 7:58 am

Im a skipper if its someone im not a fan of or just completely do not know

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » December 22nd, 2016, 8:03 am

AsianDave wrote:but Lanza, isn't that what technically everyone does on this forum...ppl obtain either a 'graph or a photo op and then post it on here as quick as they can, in a sense, to "show off"? Maybe it's not their intent, but i've always felt that alot of times, this was almost like a pissing contest in a way. It's human nature to try and do better, or one up the other person.

I know this is a hobby site for everyone to view and enjoy, but it seems to have evolved into something entirely altogether. Nothing wrong with that i guess. But we're all kidding ourselves if we can't admit our true intentions, which is essentially showing off. Maybe i'm overthinking this...
Id like to think not to be honest. I guess ot depends on the person? I really think we can all appreciate each others photos and graphs with no jealous or showing off. I dont care who gets who or how they do it, I enjoy reading about it and hope others do as well. I get photos and autos to please myself not to brag about my NYY Tim Raines photo hahaha

mikeyicon
Marked Out Pro

Post by mikeyicon » December 22nd, 2016, 12:07 pm

Let's see if Class remembers this. I had a free ride to a Brady Bunch convention, and had a great time paying zero and truly gaining value from a show that must have lost the promoters a lot of money, but it was great for me. The Brady Bunch is a show that had a tremendous impact on me. I saw Class and JOresky at the show as I waited for friends to arrive. These guys seemed worried about the prices and such. I told them for some of the people, not to worry and simply follow my lead as I observed and understood the actual scene and figured I could get photos at least since I don't care much for autographs. I did my usual schtick that and got the photo with some of the brady movie cast, then of course helped them get a few freebies.

Later on at the show, Hope Juber Schwarz was doing free photos. Unless you are a fan of the Brady Bunch and remember her from a few episodes, you wouldn't have a clue and she's truly nobody besides being the daughter of show creator, Sherwood Schwartz. We had a good talk about the show, and of course i wanted the photo as I had a crush on her even when watching the show in syndication back when I was younger. Class was in the area and asked me if she is a valid name. I asked him if he was a fan of the show, he said not really! I told him unless you love this show, not sure why anybody would even want the photo regardless of it being free. I moved on, looked over my shoulder, and there he was getting the photo with her. Isn't that a Pokemon?

So I ask you Class, to have a laugh, do you have the photo with Hope Juber Schwartz with the frog on her head from the Brady Bunch show and can you share it?

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » December 22nd, 2016, 12:34 pm

class316 wrote: As for me, unless it's a major or iconic name, I don't go for names unless I actually enjoy some of their stuff.
:bs:

Class constantly staying "in the closet" about him being a painfully obvious Pokemon guy is laughable, yet kinda sad. Nobody should have to live their lives in denial about their lifestyle - come out, admit the obvious, and I'm sure people will still accept you for who you are. Have some Pokemon Pride!

:chores: :pokemon:

mikeyicon
Marked Out Pro

Post by mikeyicon » December 22nd, 2016, 12:42 pm

LOL! awesome!

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » December 22nd, 2016, 12:43 pm

I sort of do the Pokemon collecting w/wrestlers but I've actually seen every single one of them wrestle, even if it's just once or twice.
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » December 22nd, 2016, 1:09 pm

Mikey, it's not even up for debate, Class is :gottacatchthemall:. He's 100% the same as Joresky on this subject. They both go for names they "want," and then Pokey whoever else is around. He refuses to acknowledge this by saying "if they are in front of me I get them," but at least Joresky KNOWS who these people's names are! Rarely have I heard Joresky say I went to XYZ spot, having no clue who anyone was, on purpose. He usually has a better reason. The very definition of Pokemon (to me) is that you're at a spot, and simply getting people for the sake of getting them. Almost no one goes to a spot with no good reason to have the celebs there.

We've had lots of fun at Class expense by pointing to completely random people and giving them "names" and off he goes like a dog chasing the tennis ball! But for the reason I stated (not knowing who the people are), and simply going by valid/invalid, he's technically WORSE than Jerry! Again, it's his business, I'm NOT chastising him for doing that, but he really needs to stop pretending it's not! Now he can argue that Jerry PAYS for these C-listers, which I'd agree is pretty bad, too.
Last edited by Greg2600 on December 22nd, 2016, 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » December 22nd, 2016, 1:12 pm

mikeyicon wrote:Let's see if Class remembers this. I had a free ride to a Brady Bunch convention, and had a great time paying zero and truly gaining value from a show that must have lost the promoters a lot of money, but it was great for me. The Brady Bunch is a show that had a tremendous impact on me. I saw Class and JOresky at the show as I waited for friends to arrive. These guys seemed worried about the prices and such. I told them for some of the people, not to worry and simply follow my lead as I observed and understood the actual scene and figured I could get photos at least since I don't care much for autographs. I did my usual schtick that and got the photo with some of the brady movie cast, then of course helped them get a few freebies.

Later on at the show, Hope Juber Schwarz was doing free photos. Unless you are a fan of the Brady Bunch and remember her from a few episodes, you wouldn't have a clue and she's truly nobody besides being the daughter of show creator, Sherwood Schwartz. We had a good talk about the show, and of course i wanted the photo as I had a crush on her even when watching the show in syndication back when I was younger. Class was in the area and asked me if she is a valid name. I asked him if he was a fan of the show, he said not really! I told him unless you love this show, not sure why anybody would even want the photo regardless of it being free. I moved on, looked over my shoulder, and there he was getting the photo with her. Isn't that a Pokemon?

So I ask you Class, to have a laugh, do you have the photo with Hope Juber Schwartz with the frog on her head from the Brady Bunch show and can you share it?
Yes here is the photo: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/449/30998 ... d5fc_b.jpg

Is it pokemoning? Yes it is but it is in line with what I said earlier. I didn't go to the con for her. I was there for other people. Was I going to pass up a free photo op at the con? Hell no.
Greg2600 wrote:Mikey, it's not even up for debate, Class is :gottacatchthemall:. He's 100% the same as Joresky on this subject. They both go for names they "want," and then Pokey whoever else is around. He refuses to acknowledge this by saying "if they are in front of me I get them," but at least Joresky KNOWS who these people's names are! Rarely have I heard Joresky say I went to XYZ spot, having no clue who anyone was, on purpose. He usually has a better reason. The very definition of Pokemon (to me) is that you're at a spot, and simply getting people for the sake of getting them. Almost no one goes to a spot with no good reason to have the celebs there.

We've had lots of fun at Class expense by pointing to completely random people and giving them "names" and off he goes like a dog chasing the tennis ball! But for the reason I stated (not knowing who the people are), and simply going by valid/invalid, he's technically WORSE than Jerry! Again, it's his business, I'm NOT chastising him for doing that, but he really needs to stop pretending it's not! Now he can argue that Jerry PAYS for these C-listers, which I'd agree is pretty bad, too.
He makes it a mission to pokemon. I do not. Maybe in some respects we're the same (ie getting all that is around) but I don't specifically go for people I don't care for nor do I pay for pro ops for pokemons like he does.
Last edited by class316 on December 22nd, 2016, 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mikeyicon
Marked Out Pro

Post by mikeyicon » December 22nd, 2016, 1:13 pm

dude if people pokemon and it brings you joy, go for it! It's just my personal opinion that it's kind of silly but hey like I keep saying as long as the people who do it can afford it and enjoy it, by all means! JOresky is proud to call himself a Pokemon collector, you think he really cares what others think?

ICW, I believe you are a collector focusing on wrestlers, so go for it, that's a specific niche. And perhaps you might get a photo with somebody who was cool which leads you to watch their stuff and become a fan. I've met people at chiller shows in horror movies I never watched but they were interesting people per chatting which I got a photo free since it was included with an autograph a buddy of mine asked to get. I'd see their imdb page later, and they would have appeared in a movie I had forgotten about it, and I'd be WOW! cool. I wouldn't spend my own money or wait in a big line or ask for a photo randomly on the street for people like this.

Trying to get every person who appeared in a movie or TV show that I might have never even seen seems odd to me. My wife's school principal played for the Jets for one year, I worked with a guy who played for the Patriots during the strike season of 1987 , I knew and worked with a girl who appeared in one episode of a Cinemax skin series and btw I even got to see her in all of her glory!) My brother-in-laws wives parents live next door to Jesse and Haley Eisenberg (who I have met) I'm sure if I wanted, I could have gotten photos with them, but I just didn't care enough. Although Haley I guess was kind of a big deal back in the day.

It's all relative, just makes for interesting conversation.

mikeyicon
Marked Out Pro

Post by mikeyicon » December 22nd, 2016, 1:17 pm

nice job Class, that's a good photo! You are even smiling. Just curious, and you might have told me, but I believe you at least liked or knew about The Brady Bunch. Otherwise, why would you even want to attend?

I'm guesing robbie rist who was also on Kidd video, and was a TMNT. Mike Lookinland was a production asst on a friday the 13th movie? Chris Knight was on a reality show with Adrienne Curry? Susan Olsen was "allegedly" a XXX star? Karyn Richman who was also the "New" Gidgit? Barry Williams who has a small role in Dickie Roberts?

i'm not crapping on you, i'm just curious, btw. Class, you know I'm a fan.