Forced Validity

Discuss general topics dealing with the hobby.
mikeyicon
Marked Out Pro

Re: Forced Validity

Post by mikeyicon » December 21st, 2016, 11:18 am

hilarious!!!! Definitely an interesting read on the psychology of this hobby. sounding like a broken record, but as long as you are happy with the photos you take, doesn't really matter what others think anyway. Of course it's all subjective, there aren't actual metrics to gauge what is good and what is bad!

My personal opinion side is with Heelorton, if it's not a posed photo or representing an experience whether genuine or the celeb is happy or pretends to be happy and pose,why bother, but again that's my opinion.

Yes actors know being pestered for an autograph and photo is part of the game, some appreciate it, many others do not. They still are human beings , not circus animals!

AsianDave
Marked Out Master

Post by AsianDave » December 21st, 2016, 11:33 am

why go through all this shenanigans then? why not just photoshop yourself into any and all pictures with the celebs then? Isn't that the very same thing this dude is doing?

This reminds me of the incident involving some renown lawyer out in Los Angeles where she supposedly photoshopped herself with a slew of celebs, and they called her out on it as being bogus! LOL

I know this dude photoshopping Paul's eyes and what not isn't as extreme as what the lawyer did, but the intent is pretty much the same.

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » December 21st, 2016, 11:34 am

I think everyone has a creepyness to them in the hobby. Just some a lot more than others. I think screaming at a celeb down the street is just as creepy/weird as standing behind a celeb grinning weirdly. I find it creepy i had to lurk after Ed Harris and ask 2x more after he said no for the photo. The validity stuff os quite stupid overall. One of my first ops ever is James Gandolfini grabbing me for a dual op with some unknown and i love it more than a scowling posed shot. To each their own. Also, i find it sad and slightly amusing the need to "show off" which seems to me what Ben did. Esp with the photoshop.

AsianDave
Marked Out Master

Post by AsianDave » December 21st, 2016, 11:42 am

but Lanza, isn't that what technically everyone does on this forum...ppl obtain either a 'graph or a photo op and then post it on here as quick as they can, in a sense, to "show off"? Maybe it's not their intent, but i've always felt that alot of times, this was almost like a pissing contest in a way. It's human nature to try and do better, or one up the other person.

I know this is a hobby site for everyone to view and enjoy, but it seems to have evolved into something entirely altogether. Nothing wrong with that i guess. But we're all kidding ourselves if we can't admit our true intentions, which is essentially showing off. Maybe i'm overthinking this...

oldschoolwwwf
Marked Out Master

Post by oldschoolwwwf » December 21st, 2016, 12:05 pm

a lot of this stuff clearly is to brag about who you met...everyone is guilty of that to some degree..however, the funniest thing though is for the most part, no one gives a shit who got who..for you diehards, maybe, but I would say 95% of the street meet pictures posted here, i have no clue who the person is unless a name is posted underneath it and even then, I most of the time never heard of the celeb..so I'm generally far from impressed with the pokemoming pictures..of course every so often, i see an al pacino, a mel brooks, cool names i know and like, and I enjoy looking at the pics and hearing the stories..but theres rarely any "I wish I had met him" because I have zero interest putting in the time and effort even for names I know and like..I sometimes read about the weekends you guys put in, and I'm like what a waste of a weekend..thats just me though, for those who its worth it too, great!

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » December 21st, 2016, 12:17 pm

oldschoolwwwf wrote:a lot of this stuff clearly is to brag about who you met...everyone is guilty of that to some degree..however, the funniest thing though is for the most part, no one gives a shit who got who..for you diehards, maybe, but I would say 95% of the street meet pictures posted here, i have no clue who the person is unless a name is posted underneath it and even then, I most of the time never heard of the celeb..so I'm generally far from impressed with the pokemoming pictures..of course every so often, i see an al pacino, a mel brooks, cool names i know and like, and I enjoy looking at the pics and hearing the stories..but theres rarely any "I wish I had met him" because I have zero interest putting in the time and effort even for names I know and like..I sometimes read about the weekends you guys put in, and I'm like what a waste of a weekend..thats just me though, for those who its worth it too, great!
My sentiments exactly. I legitimately have no freaking clue who 90% of the celebs are.
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » December 21st, 2016, 12:45 pm

AsianDave wrote:why go through all this shenanigans then? why not just photoshop yourself into any and all pictures with the celebs then? Isn't that the very same thing this dude is doing?

This reminds me of the incident involving some renown lawyer out in Los Angeles where she supposedly photoshopped herself with a slew of celebs, and they called her out on it as being bogus! LOL

I know this dude photoshopping Paul's eyes and what not isn't as extreme as what the lawyer did, but the intent is pretty much the same.
Well he was actually there in that moment. In that frame. To me it's nothing like photoshopping yourself into a random pic but I get your point.

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » December 21st, 2016, 12:46 pm

lanza218 wrote:I think everyone has a creepyness to them in the hobby. Just some a lot more than others. I think screaming at a celeb down the street is just as creepy/weird as standing behind a celeb grinning weirdly. I find it creepy i had to lurk after Ed Harris and ask 2x more after he said no for the photo. The validity stuff os quite stupid overall. One of my first ops ever is James Gandolfini grabbing me for a dual op with some unknown and i love it more than a scowling posed shot. To each their own. Also, i find it sad and slightly amusing the need to "show off" which seems to me what Ben did. Esp with the photoshop.
Yeah the Gandolfini invalid to some idiots but it's great photo I'd be happy to have

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » December 21st, 2016, 12:52 pm

AsianDave wrote:This reminds me of the incident involving some renown lawyer out in Los Angeles where she supposedly photoshopped herself with a slew of celebs, and they called her out on it as being bogus! LOL

:rf: :rf: :rf: :rf:
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

AsianDave
Marked Out Master

Post by AsianDave » December 21st, 2016, 2:00 pm

ICW wrote:
oldschoolwwwf wrote:a lot of this stuff clearly is to brag about who you met...everyone is guilty of that to some degree..however, the funniest thing though is for the most part, no one gives a shit who got who..for you diehards, maybe, but I would say 95% of the street meet pictures posted here, i have no clue who the person is unless a name is posted underneath it and even then, I most of the time never heard of the celeb..so I'm generally far from impressed with the pokemoming pictures..of course every so often, i see an al pacino, a mel brooks, cool names i know and like, and I enjoy looking at the pics and hearing the stories..but theres rarely any "I wish I had met him" because I have zero interest putting in the time and effort even for names I know and like..I sometimes read about the weekends you guys put in, and I'm like what a waste of a weekend..thats just me though, for those who its worth it too, great!
My sentiments exactly. I legitimately have no freaking clue who 90% of the celebs are.
oldschoolwwwf couldn't have elaborated on this any better, as i'm pretty certain he stated what most of us are thinking as well. ALOT of the names some of the MO fellas obtain, i have absolutely no idea who they are as well, even if a name of the celebe was provided! But, "gotta get'em all" :gottacatchthemall: or "get them if there" type of deal right? I do scratch my head at the whole spectacle, but if i wasn't interested, i wouldn't be on this forum reading it! maybe that just shows what a loser i really am! LOL

mikeyicon
Marked Out Pro

Post by mikeyicon » December 21st, 2016, 3:16 pm

Although my goal is to engage people and hope to build solid relationship with people, I don't spend too much time worrying what people think who are miserable or boring themselves. Although I would by lying if I said I sure don't want to seem odd to certain people and know 98% of people I know care less about my celeb photos. Then again, I do it for ME!

Jeremiah and Class obviously don't care AT ALL, they go for photos with people simply because they are a celeb regardless if they even have seen any of their art. Not a slander on them, as they both have told me in person this has become an obsession for them. The fact that at least they realize it I guess is a good thing.

Yeah as mentioned numerous times, I am fascinated with a lot of the people on this forum and extremely entertained.

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » December 21st, 2016, 3:22 pm

It's funny you say so many people away from hobby don't care. I for instance have about 200 friends on Facebook and my 2016 Celebrity album has like 60 something likes on it, at least half of those being people who have no involvement in the hobby, yet find the photos interesting and fun to look at.

Not that I do this for likes, or the opinion of others, I really couldn't care less, but it's something my friends routinely ask me about. "Have you met so and so?" "What are they like?". I hear it all the time.

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » December 21st, 2016, 3:27 pm

They've both admitted they are addicted. They're perfectly fine going for all levels and types of celebrities because it feeds the addiction. Folks like myself or Heel Orton, we're collectors/hoarders if you will. Yes we might get the same "rush" that those Pokemon people do, but it's more about the collecting aspect. When you're collecting, I feel like you're more on the "lookout" for certain names than you are looking to gobble everything in sight. Joresky is perfectly at home on a rail with 50 people going berzerk for celebs, whereas I hate that scene. Although I'm nowhere near as picky about the posed nature of photos as Heel, neither of us are likely to dive into a sea of dealers who are surrounding an A-lister. Class of course, no issue, there he goes. I would argue the obsession has consumed Pokey's sanity, lives, even health. I personally find it much easier to do it now, given that my friends have gotten older and everyone has their own lives. These nuts in NYC nowadays, they're wasting their 20's on hunting celebs 24/7, many of whom they have already. As for getting acclaim from friends, I truly don't care. I have a few like Dana who comment on my photos, both online and in person, but I'm not a bragger. I don't brag about my video game collection nor this collecting. But it's gotten me a lot of new friends, and our common thread is this hobby, so it's fun to talk about it and trade stories.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

mikeyicon
Marked Out Pro

Post by mikeyicon » December 21st, 2016, 3:45 pm

oh yeah most people think it's cool and will check out a few, and love to hear my stories. Perhaps only 3-4 people actually were so engaged they begged to see them all and want to know how I get these photos, and my collection is nowhere near as big as many on here. I don't count FB likes, that's not real and doesntt mean squat to me. I know people who hit like when I post on FB, and when I ping them to ask if they truly know who these people are, they just said they liked it because they like "Everything". :)

Agreed, Greg, meeting people who share the same interests and good discussion goes a long way. It's been a pleasure to meet you at a few events as well and a treat after a show to hit the area and there you are with your camera and stuff to sign (and sometime even your cool mom is there!) This is a good place to share stories and such, Woodmo did something good with this site and has been entertaining me for the past few years.

mikeyicon
Marked Out Pro

Post by mikeyicon » December 21st, 2016, 3:46 pm

and having your mom waiting with you made it tolerable for my wife to even try and enjoy it. :) So double kudos to you and your mom!