Celebs refusing to sign specific items

Discuss general topics dealing with the hobby.
AJLe
Marked Out Master

Celebs refusing to sign specific items

Post by AJLe » July 3rd, 2017, 12:38 pm

I read on the FB for the Days of the Dead show in Indy over the weekend that a fan was complaining that Gaylen Ross refused to sign a Madman poster because she "wanted nothing to do with that movie", and also that Linda Blair refused to sign a pic that had already been signed by Eileen Dietz (didn't specifically say what it was, but obviously Exorcist related, and apparently there's issues between the two), and it obviously left a sour taste in the fans' mouth. Gotta say that's kind of a dickish move by the celebs - I can see being choosy about signing certain things if you're on the street, but if you take a booking for a horror con, and a fan wants to pay you to autograph stuff from a horror movie you were in, that's kind of what you signed up for.

Tom Wilson's former refusal to sign BTTF stuff is well-documented, some female actresses have an understandable reluctance to sign pics from nude scenes they've done, and I know in the past some wrestlers have refused to sign merch under certain previous gimmicks (Shane w/ Dean Douglas and Dustin Rhodes with the Seven gimmick come to mind), but I can't remember many horror level guests refusing to sign specific merch. In fact, in my entire time collecting, the only time I can recall where somebody turned me down at a signing was when Bushi kayfabed me and wouldn't admit that he worked All Japan under a previous gimmick without his mask.

In fact, I've seen more examples of the opposite - some actors (primarily Jason/Myers/Leatherface masked characters) being fine with signing merch featuring pics from scenes where there was likely some other stunt actor under the mask. If the fan is OK with it that's fine, but I feel they should probably at least let the fan know instead of just grabbing the cash and signing away.

But anyway, I just thought it was a fairly rare occurrence for paid signings - anybody else have experience with celebs taking the money to sign almost everything else, but wouldn't sign one specific item?

Greg2600

Re: Celebs refusing to sign specific items

Post by Greg2600 » July 3rd, 2017, 12:58 pm

Supposedly at MM 2014, West wouldn't sign anything that Ward signed first. So I asked Adam's manager, who looked at me like I was on drugs, laughed, and said we're here to make money, he'll sign whatever you have.

In a free setting, honestly, you're at their mercy. However, yes, a few times when I brought an 8x10 to a con, the actress or her agent have wanted to see it first. Since I don't print anything distasteful, it was never a problem.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » July 3rd, 2017, 1:14 pm

Celebrities live in a bubble. If I were an organizer of a convention, I would ask all talent if they would decline to sign a specific item and/or decline to sign as a specific character/gimmick.
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » July 4th, 2017, 6:49 am

I don't blame them for not signing nudes, but anything movie related that they willingly appeared in should be fair game when you're paying.

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » July 4th, 2017, 10:28 am

I know Andrew had a bad experience with Jamie Kennedy, but he can go into greater detail

overthetop17
Marked Out Pro

Post by overthetop17 » July 4th, 2017, 1:23 pm

I know Andrew had a bad experience with Jamie Kennedy, but he can go into greater detail
Yea, but when people ask him on Facebook to show what he wanted him to sign he never shows it.....

overthetop17
Marked Out Pro

Post by overthetop17 » July 4th, 2017, 1:25 pm

I agree that if it is not in bad taste then a celeb should not have a problem with an item, over the last few years of watching people at shows and the chasing of these celebs at airports and hotels I don't blame them for being moody any longer. I used to see it the other way, but fans can be downright annoying and rude. At a convention where they are paid to sign autos though, they should sign almost anything.....

cmshowstopper
Marked Out Master

Post by cmshowstopper » July 4th, 2017, 10:35 pm

ICW wrote:
July 3rd, 2017, 1:14 pm
Celebrities live in a bubble. If I were an organizer of a convention, I would ask all talent if they would decline to sign a specific item and/or decline to sign as a specific character/gimmick.
I would as well. But I can see some promoters literally not even thinking it would be problem or why one would not do it.
WOODMO wrote:
July 4th, 2017, 6:49 am
I don't blame them for not signing nudes, but anything movie related that they willingly appeared in should be fair game when you're paying.
If the nude photo or scene paid good enough for you to pose in it, then its fair game. I can understand an upskirt photo or something that was not apart of that person's work. But otherwise its fair game in my opinion. As a fan, I usually will ask the handler, promoter, etc. before presenting the item (via email before the signing is preferred for me) because Im just trying to be courteous. I certainly wouldnt flip out if I was turned down. But honestly I would think its lame if you refused. Its just like I think its dumb for wrestlers refusing to sign as certain gimmicks.

On the street....all rules are off. They have the right to say no to a photo, a nude, a poster, an action figure, whatever. They arent required to do anything.
http://www.cmshowstopper.com/ Official Webpage Of CM Showstopper

http://www.fallenangelchristopherdaniels.com Official Webpage of Christopher Daniels

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » July 5th, 2017, 10:13 am

I felt Macchio insisting on personalizing Lanza's Funko, because it was unlicensed, was quite humorous.

Lanza remark.....
"Yep. But poster and Reaction fig no personalization. I askes him to go into detail and he ssid he knew but couldnt explain!!"
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » July 5th, 2017, 10:29 am

cmshowstopper wrote:
July 4th, 2017, 10:35 pm
If the nude photo or scene paid good enough for you to pose in it, then its fair game. I can understand an upskirt photo or something that was not apart of that person's work. But otherwise its fair game in my opinion. As a fan, I usually will ask the handler, promoter, etc. before presenting the item (via email before the signing is preferred for me) because Im just trying to be courteous. I certainly wouldnt flip out if I was turned down. But honestly I would think its lame if you refused. Its just like I think its dumb for wrestlers refusing to sign as certain gimmicks.
I've never had an situation where I definitely needed a sig actually on a nude scene shot, but I would agree that it's common courtesy to make sure it's OK first before just throwing a nude picture down on somebody's table. There's a couple of women in my Crystal Lake Memories book where the only picture in the book is from their nude scene, but I haven't met either of them yet, so it isn't an issue that's come up for me.

In fact, I once had the opposite situation occur - I was getting P.J. Soles in my Japanese book for Halloween, and there was a pic of her topless scene in the book. There were plenty of other pics in the book of her, so I obviously opened it to one of the more innocent scenes where she was fully clothed. Like a lot of celebs, she hadn't seen many/any of these Japanese books, so she asked if she could look through it. When she did, she came to the page with her topless shot, and asked "Do you mind if I sign here?" I said sure, so she obviously was perfectly comfortable with her nude scene, but I wouldn't have asked her to sign it if she hadn't offered.

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » July 5th, 2017, 3:45 pm

I think just printing a nude still is classless unless it's their only scene. Nude scene in a film is part of the art, printed as standalone image it's just po**ography

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » July 5th, 2017, 4:14 pm

WOODMO wrote:
July 5th, 2017, 3:45 pm
I think just printing a nude still is classless unless it's their only scene. Nude scene in a film is part of the art, printed as standalone image it's just po**ography
I agree w/this.
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

hack87
Full Fledged Mark

Post by hack87 » July 5th, 2017, 6:40 pm

I went to a WWE free signing a few years ago where they had Layla. I brought three photos for her and one of them was from a lingerie shoot (no nudity) and she wouldn't sign that one. She was cool though. Her WWE handler was nasty altogether (not about the photo but just in general).

cmshowstopper
Marked Out Master

Post by cmshowstopper » July 5th, 2017, 7:03 pm

WOODMO wrote:
Im talking less about a nude scene and more like a Playboy or something to that effect.
http://www.cmshowstopper.com/ Official Webpage Of CM Showstopper

http://www.fallenangelchristopherdaniels.com Official Webpage of Christopher Daniels

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » July 5th, 2017, 7:31 pm

cmshowstopper wrote:
July 5th, 2017, 7:03 pm
WOODMO wrote:
Im talking less about a nude scene and more like a Playboy or something to that effect.
They should always sign a playboy cover if at paid signing. I'll agree