Japanese Wrestling Trip

Discuss general topics dealing with the hobby.
Luke
Marked Out King

Japanese Wrestling Trip

Post by Luke » July 26th, 2017, 7:39 pm

Just a question for you guys who need a large amount of the Japanese wrestlers. Why not just take a trip to Japan?

I think most of you guys are on the east coast of the USA? Flight to Tokyo from New York seems to run at about 1000 dollars. Go there, visit all the cool cultural places Japan has to offer and hit up some wrestling shows. Great Sasuke, Jinsei Shinzaki and Ultimo Dragon all wrestle for Michinoku Pro who occasionally run a large building but generally are running small ones. Japanese promotions are all about the fans so I'm sure they all come out and sign autographs/take photos afterwards.

Dick Togo is wrestling for the small Japanese indies with occasional appearances for bigger companies, could probably get him for a bargain. Taka Michinoku of course is involved with Kaientai Dojo and would be easy to get. The harder guys are the "legends" but even some of the lower end legends will work the occasional spot show for these smaller companies in a small building and be easily accessible.

Just seems a lot easier to head over to Japan for 2-3 weeks, hit a few shows with the guys you want combos with, acquire the combos and come back rather than waiting 10+ years to get every single Japanese talent you actually want.

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Re: The Big Event 13, November 4th, 2017

Post by AJLe » July 26th, 2017, 9:12 pm

Luke wrote:
July 26th, 2017, 7:39 pm
Just a question for you guys who need a large amount of the Japanese wrestlers. Why not just take a trip to Japan?
Some of us did...

:crazyhappy:

hack87
Full Fledged Mark

Post by hack87 » July 26th, 2017, 9:21 pm

Luke wrote:

I think most of you guys are on the east coast of the USA? Flight to Tokyo from New York seems to run at about 1000 dollars. Go there, visit all the cool cultural places Japan has to offer and hit up some wrestling shows. Great Sasuke, Jinsei Shinzaki and Ultimo Dragon all wrestle for Michinoku Pro who occasionally run a large building but generally are running small ones. Japanese promotions are all about the fans so I'm sure they all come out and sign autographs/take photos afterwards.

Dick Togo is wrestling for the small Japanese indies with occasional appearances for bigger companies, could probably get him for a bargain. Taka Michinoku of course is involved with Kaientai Dojo and would be easy to get. The harder guys are the "legends" but even some of the lower end legends will work the occasional spot show for these smaller companies in a small building and be easily accessible.

Just seems a lot easier to head over to Japan for 2-3 weeks, hit a few shows with the guys you want combos with, acquire the combos and come back rather than waiting 10+ years to get every single Japanese talent you actually want.
Good point and maybe something I'll be able to do in a couple years. But the guys I'd want to meet are the legends -- Great Kabuki, Kendo Nagasaki, Mr. Saito, Tiger Mask (Sayama), Masahiro Chono, Kensuke Sasaki, Antonio Inoki, Kim Duk (Tiger Chung Lee), Tatsumi Fujinami, and maybe a couple others. So I'd need to be able to meet all of them and at least be guaranteed to meet almost all of them.

wewantflair
Site Admin

Post by wewantflair » July 27th, 2017, 6:52 am

It's nowhere near as easy as he's making it sound. Shows are less frequent and further away from each other. The best luck one would probably have is around the new year, when most companies are running shows. You'd then have to contend with significant travel within Japan (which is difficult for someone who doesn't know the lay of the land) as well as language barriers. While the big cities aren't too difficult if you're only an English speaker, the smaller areas are much, much more difficult from a language perspective. I looked into this a few years back and decided it wasn't feasible.

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » July 27th, 2017, 7:24 am

Plus, I don't have the money or the time to simply travel to Japan for wrestling autographs and photo ops lol. I have a full time job, a girlfriend...a life, basically lol. I would love to go to Japan for, say, WrestleKingdom, but that's something I would have to plan a year in advance.
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » July 27th, 2017, 8:07 am

wewantflair wrote:
July 27th, 2017, 6:52 am
It's nowhere near as easy as he's making it sound. Shows are less frequent and further away from each other. The best luck one would probably have is around the new year, when most companies are running shows.
This is correct - if you were going just for wrestling/meeting purposes, going the 1/4 week is a must. Every major promotion and Japanese indy is running that week. Heck, when I was there Korakuen Hall alone was running multiple events every day that week, from various promotions.
wewantflair wrote:
You'd then have to contend with significant travel within Japan (which is difficult for someone who doesn't know the lay of the land) as well as language barriers. While the big cities aren't too difficult if you're only an English speaker, the smaller areas are much, much more difficult from a language perspective. I looked into this a few years back and decided it wasn't feasible.
If you're based out of Tokyo (which you should be if you're there for wrestling), relatively easy public transportation and walking was possible for every show I went to. Learning the language would obviously help with regards to getting around, but I never felt "stuck" at any time because I didn't know Japanese. It's easier that you'd think to "get by" with just pointing and using basic words.

Anthony18
Full Fledged Mark

Post by Anthony18 » July 27th, 2017, 8:57 am

Going all the way to Japan for wrestling shows/autographs? Yikes! My mother thinks I'm crazy for going to Queens, NY from Northern NJ!

Bobby
Full Fledged Mark

Post by Bobby » July 27th, 2017, 9:48 am

AJLe wrote:
July 27th, 2017, 8:07 am
wewantflair wrote:
It's nowhere near as easy as he's making it sound. Shows are less frequent and further away from each other. The best luck one would probably have is around the new year, when most companies are running shows.
This is correct - if you were going just for wrestling/meeting purposes, going the 1/4 week is a must. Every major promotion and Japanese indy is running that week. Heck, when I was there Korakuen Hall alone was running multiple events every day that week, from various promotions.
wewantflair wrote:
You'd then have to contend with significant travel within Japan (which is difficult for someone who doesn't know the lay of the land) as well as language barriers. While the big cities aren't too difficult if you're only an English speaker, the smaller areas are much, much more difficult from a language perspective. I looked into this a few years back and decided it wasn't feasible.
If you're based out of Tokyo (which you should be if you're there for wrestling), relatively easy public transportation and walking was possible for every show I went to. Learning the language would obviously help with regards to getting around, but I never felt "stuck" at any time because I didn't know Japanese. It's easier that you'd think to "get by" with just pointing and using basic words.
Wow I didnt know there are so many shows that week! I'm going this january - main goal is to visit the city though as its been a dream of me to visit it for quite a while now, and I also really wanted to do the Tokyo Dome show so nice combination 😀

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » July 27th, 2017, 9:55 am

I'm sure when it gets closer, you'll be able to find things posted online about the specific shows running the 1/4 week. Last time I was there was 2008, so the scene might be more or less crazy since then, but if you want wrestling bang for your buck, that's definitely the week to be there.

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » July 27th, 2017, 9:56 am

AJLe wrote:
July 27th, 2017, 9:55 am
I'm sure when it gets closer, you'll be able to find things posted online about the specific shows running the 1/4 week. Last time I was there was 2008, so the scene might be more or less crazy since then, but if you want wrestling bang for your buck, that's definitely the week to be there.
Do they host meet and greets before shows in Japan?
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » July 27th, 2017, 10:13 am

I remember the Korakuen Hall shows had indy-type tables set up after the shows where you could get people, and although I'm not sure if it's "allowed" or not, we went down to the Korakuen parking garage and met people there too. I would doubt the Tokyo Dome show has anything at the venue during the show, but given how big NJPW has gotten in recent years, it wouldn't surprise me if they had some sort of Axxess style event that week somewhere - but that's speculation on my part.

Any promotion smaller than NJPW is likely similar to indy shows here, where you can get people at intermission or after the show. That week was so crazy with wrestlers in town, that I literally ran into wrestlers around the city at times when I wasn't even trying to meet people.

Luke
Marked Out King

Post by Luke » July 27th, 2017, 10:47 pm

wewantflair wrote:
It's nowhere near as easy as he's making it sound. Shows are less frequent and further away from each other. The best luck one would probably have is around the new year, when most companies are running shows. You'd then have to contend with significant travel within Japan (which is difficult for someone who doesn't know the lay of the land) as well as language barriers. While the big cities aren't too difficult if you're only an English speaker, the smaller areas are much, much more difficult from a language perspective. I looked into this a few years back and decided it wasn't feasible.
Yeah, I'm aware that once you start leaving the cities the language barrier becomes an issue but if you just stick around in Tokyo for a good 4 weeks and base yourself in an area where a lot of the shows go (Korakuen Hall if you've got tons of cash, Shin Kiba First Ring/Shinjuku Face if you don't) there is tons within an hour.

Hypothetically lets say you stay at a cheap hotel near Shinjuku Face (A building that runs lots of the smaller shows). Within 1 hour of you in a one month period you could see the following "big name" stars:

Appearing for AJPW at Shin Kiba First Ring (August 3rd): KAI (TNA? I think), Minoru Tanaka, Yoshihiro Tajiri (WWE, ECW)

Appearing for FREEDOMS at Korakuen Hall (August 3rd): Tons of the Japanese deathmatch guys like Jun Kasai

Appearing for Kaientai Dojo at Chiba Blue Field (August 6th): TAKA Michinoku (WWE/ECW)

Appearing for Dragon Gate at Korakuen Hall (August 8th): Tons of guys who appeared for DGUSA, ROH and even WCW)

Appearing for Wrestle-1 at Korakuen Hall (August 11th): Kaz Hayashi (WCW), NOSAWA (JCW, TNA) and I'm sure The Great Muta would make some kind of appearance being the owner and all.

Appearing for Big Japan (August 12th): Tons of guys who have appeared in CZW, some of the best deathmatch wrestlers in the world

Appearing for Kaientai Dojo (August 13th): TAKA Michinoku (WWE/ECW)

Appearing for Guts World (August 15th): Dick Togo (WWE, ECW), Mr. Gannosuke (FMW, Legend of Japanese wrestling) and also some of the higher end Japanese independent talent.

Appearing for Zero 1 (August 17th): Atsushi Onita (FMW, Japanese legend), Masato Tanaka (ECW/Japanese star), Shinjiro Otania (ROH/WCW)

Appearing for Ultimo Dragon 30th year anniversary special event (August 19th): Jun Akiyama (Japanese legend), Minoru Tanaka (TNA), Ultimo Dragon (WWE/WCW). They're also promoting a rumble and I bet a lot of the legends would be in that.

Appearing for Kaientai Dojo's "Big Tokyo Show" (August 19th): Taka Michinoku (WWE/ECW)

Appearing for DDT's Korakuen Hall Show (August 20th): Not yet announced but probably an international talent and a legend.

Appearing for K-Dojo (August 20th): Taka Michinoku (WWE/ECW)

Appearing for Michinoku Pro (August 26th): The Great Sasuke (WWE/ECW)

Appearance for Bull Nakano (August 27th): Bull Nakano (Japanese legend)

Appearing for Taka Michinoku special show (August 28th): Taka Michinoku (WWE/ECW), Taichi Ishikari (TNA)

-----

So there you go, that's in Tokyo alone where cards have been announced featuring "name" talent in smaller buildings so no NJPW/AJPW/NOAH arena shows because I assume they don't do the indy table thing for those. Some big cards haven't announced matches yet and I didn't even look at non Tokyo stuff. I know a lot of guys like Dick Togo, Kintaro Kanemura (ECW/FMW), NOSAWA and other freelancers will work a few big shows a month for the larger companies and then pretty much tour the smaller local areas wrestling for tiny Japanese micro independents that sometimes don't even have a ring and wrestle on mats. I have seen Mad Man Pondo and Necro Butcher do a date for one of these companies and they were literally doing a death match in a small shed with a ring and about 15-20 people gathered around.

As others have said if you go to Japan during New Years (Flight prices bit more expensive as are show tickets) you will see tons of big events in Tokyo featuring pretty much everyone you'd ever want to see. Smaller companies go all out with the "name" talent to try and compete and the big companies obviously bring their A games also.
hack87 wrote:
July 26th, 2017, 9:21 pm
Luke wrote:

Good point and maybe something I'll be able to do in a couple years. But the guys I'd want to meet are the legends -- Great Kabuki, Kendo Nagasaki, Mr. Saito, Tiger Mask (Sayama), Masahiro Chono, Kensuke Sasaki, Antonio Inoki, Kim Duk (Tiger Chung Lee), Tatsumi Fujinami, and maybe a couple others. So I'd need to be able to meet all of them and at least be guaranteed to meet almost all of them.
I don't really follow them but Real Japan Pro Wrestling feature Original Tiger Mask and use a large amount of legends. If you do go, maybe try and coincide with one of their shows.
ICW wrote:
July 27th, 2017, 7:24 am
Plus, I don't have the money or the time to simply travel to Japan for wrestling autographs and photo ops lol. I have a full time job, a girlfriend...a life, basically lol. I would love to go to Japan for, say, WrestleKingdom, but that's something I would have to plan a year in advance.
I'm planning on heading over within the next few years with my girlfriend. She's really into karate so she wants to experience that live and in person, I'm really into wrestling so want to experience a large amount of shows. We both want to experience the culture and visit the sights. I'd never go JUST for wrestling but when one region of the country offers 35 shows in a 2 week period I'd definitely make it a large part of the trip.

oldschoolwwwf
Marked Out Master

Post by oldschoolwwwf » July 28th, 2017, 12:43 am

Am I reading this right? Are people suggesting going to Japan for a month to meet wrestlers? Who on this board could possibly get that time off to travel to Japan for so long?

class316
Marked Out Historian

Re: Japanese Wrestling Trip

Post by class316 » July 28th, 2017, 1:05 am

Personally I always wanted to visit Japan, and if I did would be awesome to combine it with wrestling. Sadly it's one trip I don't think I'll ever have the money for.
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets
:hcit:
View my celebrity report Blog http://celebmeets.blogspot.com/

Bobby
Full Fledged Mark

Post by Bobby » July 28th, 2017, 8:27 am

oldschoolwwwf wrote:
July 28th, 2017, 12:43 am
Am I reading this right? Are people suggesting going to Japan for a month to meet wrestlers? Who on this board could possibly get that time off to travel to Japan for so long?
I'm going for a week. Doing the january 4th show, hopefully meet one or two guys in their restaurant, and the rest of the week I'm gonna do tourist stuff. I could get a month off but that would cost a pretty penny and fuck up my vacation days haha