This LOTR is the perfect example why vendors don't book rare guests...

Discuss general topics dealing with the hobby.
ICW
Marked Out King

This LOTR is the perfect example why vendors don't book rare guests...

Post by ICW » October 23rd, 2017, 3:30 pm

Dory Funk Jr., Tom Prichard, Eric Embry, Erik Watts, TL Hopper, Steve Kerin, Butcher Vachon, Jim Powers, Terry Taylor, and Ted Arcidi are rare names...and the turnout for this LOTR was incredibly low (judging by the ole, imperfect eye test).

I was shocked by the turnout because I all ever see is people bitching about how common guestlists have become. This was a LOTR that featured some rare, good names and the turnout was low.

This LOTR is the perfect example why vendor guests don't bring rare names in and while we'll be stuck with the same guests over and over again.

Thoughts? Am I off base?
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

lanza218
Site Admin

Re: This LOTR is the perfect example why vendors don't book rare guests...

Post by lanza218 » October 23rd, 2017, 3:47 pm

Its about the ST. If the st is good and sells out people will get the vendors. I was 50/50 on going but didnt have any huge wants besides Mercury who I will get at Big Event and it seems the vendors are now too overpriced. Like $30 for the TNA gals is absurd

ICW
Marked Out King

Post by ICW » October 23rd, 2017, 4:12 pm

lanza218 wrote:
October 23rd, 2017, 3:47 pm
Its about the ST. If the st is good and sells out people will get the vendors. I was 50/50 on going but didnt have any huge wants besides Mercury who I will get at Big Event and it seems the vendors are now too overpriced. Like $30 for the TNA gals is absurd
That's a good point although I thought the Superticket was fairly good.

$30 combos are becoming the new $20. It's getting insane.
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

hack87
Full Fledged Mark

Post by hack87 » October 23rd, 2017, 4:18 pm

If LOTR had brought in a platinum guest and had some bigger names on the superticket, attendance would have been huge like it usually is. Honestly there were still a lot of people there. It wasn't like the August Icons show in Philly where it was dead -- or worse yet any show promoted by Blaustein. Around 9:15, I was actually able to find a parking spot easily -- as opposed to the last LOTR I went to where I had more trouble finding parking than ever. But like Lanza said, it's all a matter of having a big name or a few big names to draw in the fans that either have never met them before or continue to get more stuff signed by them.

It all depends when it comes to rare names, but I was able to pick up the seven names I could use that I didn't already have. That's what gets me there. Had some of those names not been booked, I wouldn't have gone.

Big Event, with it's 100-plus guests, has only three names I can use. So it'll be a quick day for me.

And, yes, looking at the prices for some of the Big Event guests -- at $25 for an autograph (not a combo) -- it is getting nuts. But fortunately I don't need a lot of those guys still. If I stick with K&S / Highspots / Captain's Corner / Tmart, that's where the wrestlers I can still use tend to come in.

Luke
Marked Out King

Post by Luke » November 18th, 2017, 6:23 am

The only one on the list of rare names I'd expect to do well is Dory Funk Jr and MAYBE Terry Taylor. Who in the blue hell is paying to meet the likes of Eric Embry and TL Hooper?

If I was promoting at these kinds of events I'd legitimately use people like Sunny who have been used a lot but are likely to be known to every fan in the building rather than cater to the hardcores with the likes of an Eric Embry who was a territory star at best.

hack87
Full Fledged Mark

Post by hack87 » November 18th, 2017, 9:02 am

Sunny was there..... There just weren't a lot of names that cater to the casual fan or the younger fans who have never seen wrestling when it wasn't a cartoon (WWF/WWE). As a result, LOTR drew well still because it's an established convention with a loyal clientele. But it didn't draw the beyond capacity crowd that we're used to seeing there. I'd imagine they still did great business because they know what they're doing and didn't have expenses that'd be as high as they would be if they had brought in platinum and featured guests and bigger names on the superticket (although Dory Funk and Ken Shamrock were probably more expensive than most).

As far as guys like Eric Embry and Dirty White Boy, those are the guys I make the trip for. I've already met almost all of the big names that have been to so many of these conventions. So short of them bringing in Steve Austin or Stacy Keibler -- or springing for someone like Antonio Inoki or Dynamite Kid -- there would be nothing left of interest to me otherwise. I get that younger fans or those who have only watched WWF would have no appreciation for territory stars -- much like I pass on most of the WWF guys like Trevor Murdoch, Kevin Thorne and Pete Gas. If you never watched their work, why get them. But as someone who is a fan of World Class, NWA, AWA, etc., I jump at the chance to meet the guys who come around a lot less often. This time I got Eric Embry, Erik Watts, Stan Lane, Ted Arcidi, Ken Shamrock, Jim Powers and Rosemary. I don't need to meet Bret Hart a second time, or Hogan, or Sting, or HBK, or Flair, or Jericho, or Foley, etc.