a "Classic" disagreement

Discuss general topics dealing with the hobby.
djknightrida
Marked Out Master

a "Classic" disagreement

Post by djknightrida » March 4th, 2018, 9:57 pm

Thanks mods for keeping it a secret :holy:
2017 Most Unique Photo Winner

:dj:

overthetop17
Marked Out Pro

Re: a "Classic" disagreement

Post by overthetop17 » March 4th, 2018, 11:16 pm

Thanks mods for keeping it a secret
Not even a street meet or "spot" as they call it and they are hush hush :smh: Wasn't of interest to me, but I am sure others would have been interested. Ok Im ready for that heat, in 5...4...3...2.... :leo:

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » March 5th, 2018, 12:44 am

overthetop17 wrote:
March 4th, 2018, 11:16 pm
Thanks mods for keeping it a secret
Not even a street meet or "spot" as they call it and they are hush hush :smh: Wasn't of interest to me, but I am sure others would have been interested. Ok Im ready for that heat, in 5...4...3...2.... :leo:
Why would there be heat? We did keep it hush. I don’t see anything wrong with that statement

overthetop17
Marked Out Pro

Post by overthetop17 » March 5th, 2018, 1:08 am

Why would there be heat? We did keep it hush. I don’t see anything wrong with that statement
Ok cool... :like: Glad you guys got one of your top wants. Always a nice feeling....

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » March 5th, 2018, 1:31 am

It was not "open to the public," hence can't be posted here. This wasn't "An Evening with Arnold" or anything like that. Op may have been guaranteed but admittance was not entirely, no.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

djknightrida
Marked Out Master

Post by djknightrida » March 5th, 2018, 5:34 am

Just puts friendship into perspective. Enjoy your ops

djknightrida
Marked Out Master

Post by djknightrida » March 5th, 2018, 11:07 am

lanza218 wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 10:27 am
I moved the other discussion into the Hobby Discussion section, no reason to clog up a report
More like can’t call the higher ups out on their BS :gah:

crowbar
Marked Out King

Re: Pet Peeves?

Post by crowbar » March 5th, 2018, 11:15 am

If I were them, I wouldn't have told anyone either. Too many variables/untrustworthy people.

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » March 5th, 2018, 11:32 am

djknightrida wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 11:07 am
lanza218 wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 10:27 am
I moved the other discussion into the Hobby Discussion section, no reason to clog up a report
More like can’t call the higher ups out on their BS :gah:
More like AJ put up a report and none of this has anything to do with the report. What "higher ups?" I didnt delete anything so what are you referring to? What "b.s.?"

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » March 5th, 2018, 11:36 am

Sounds like a judgment call -- the judgment was that some on here wouldn't care or couldn't be trusted with the info or they didn't want to risk this turning into a disaster, so they kept it to themselves.
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » March 5th, 2018, 12:02 pm

djknightrida wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 5:34 am
Just puts friendship into perspective. Enjoy your ops
How many ppl should have been told? I say again, this was NOT open to the public. With airfare, some of us were in for more money than JOresky could spend at Chiller, and then some. If 30+ hobbyists showed up, and the organizers caught wind, and said, wait a second, what's going on here? These people don't have the proper credentials or look the part. Sorry, you need to leave. Then what? We'd get a refund on that but out hundreds for airfare or whatever.

I'm sorry, but we only went with with AJLe because he has literally stated about 15 times on the board that Arnold was his #1 hobby want. He was the only person to pay for the graph send-in here. And we knew he'd come solo. Initially we weren't going to do that, but for those reasons. If we tell you, do we have to tell ICW, Asian Dave, Heel Orton, CM, Ira, ADelta, flarrow, etc, etc.? All of a sudden it's too much. We knew we'd get heat, but AJ was the one guy we all agreed on.
overthetop17 wrote:
March 4th, 2018, 11:16 pm
We're not the only ones who should be blushing... :maybe:
ICW wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 11:36 am
Sounds like a judgment call -- the judgment was that some on here wouldn't care or couldn't be trusted with the info or they didn't want to risk this turning into a disaster, so they kept it to themselves.
This was not about trusting people, this was about going in partially blind, and wanting a small group so as not to blow it apart. There was one guy there (think he was a local) with a ridiculous Arnold t-shirt and two SCREAMING toddlers. This is the kind of thing that can blow it. Someone else tried to graph him immediately after the flash bulb went off. BAD!!!

There was zero intel on this, and to open it up was just too risky. I used a contact to get us a better shot at not being turned away, but that person asked me to limit the #. In fact, us keeping it limited probably will enable others to attempt in the future before the organizers decide, woah, this isn't Wizard World. Not to mention we learned later that it was partially blabbed (not by us), so we were fortunate that didn't result in a comic con contingent there.

I provide more information than most combined here, and when someone asks, I tell them how it is. Nor do I get pissed if someone holds out on me, because honestly, it's not life or death. Would I loved for Arnold to do something public that everyone could partake in? Yes, but that hasn't been the case.

adelta13
Marked Out Pro

Post by adelta13 » March 5th, 2018, 12:21 pm

I heard rumblings about some sort of photo opportunity with Arnold for $400 + but with my past and upcoming plans I didn't care to look into it but hey congratulations to all those that got an Arnold photo! Nice job!

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » March 5th, 2018, 12:48 pm

Greg2600 wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 12:02 pm

This was not about trusting people, this was about going in partially blind, and wanting a small group so as not to blow it apart. There was one guy there (think he was a local) with a ridiculous Arnold t-shirt and two SCREAMING toddlers. This is the kind of thing that can blow it. Someone else tried to graph him immediately after the flash bulb went off. BAD!!!

There was zero intel on this, and to open it up was just too risky. I used a contact to get us a better shot at not being turned away, but that person asked me to limit the #. In fact, us keeping it limited probably will enable others to attempt in the future before the organizers decide, woah, this isn't Wizard World. Not to mention we learned later that it was partially blabbed (not by us), so we were fortunate that didn't result in a comic con contingent there.

I provide more information than most combined here, and when someone asks, I tell them how it is. Nor do I get pissed if someone holds out on me, because honestly, it's not life or death. Would I loved for Arnold to do something public that everyone could partake in? Yes, but that hasn't been the case.
Just to re-iterate some of Greg's points: for somebody on Arnold's level, there was a relatively small number of people at the event - I'd say around 200, maybe less, there for the photo, and his people were still mega-rushing people through the line. When he left the building afterwards, there were less than five people trying for graphs, and he still went right out without signing.

Point being, he was only going to be there for a very limited amount of time (he even basically said from the podium that he wanted to bang through the photos since he was very busy and had to get back to work), and he likely only agreed to a certain number of people to be admitted. And if it ever got to a point where they had more people there than Arnold was willing or able to take care of, it's not the "legitimate" attendees who'd be turned away and refunded, it would be the people who looked like fans/graphers/collectors. And if they had to turn away fans, they would probably be more strict about attendees providing credentials at future events, if they happen. So limiting the "hobby crowd" now probably prevented the event from getting ruined for future years.

But the bigger point is, when somebody gets information, whether it's a mod or a regular joe poster, nobody "owes" it to anybody else to share their info to the board at large. Am I glad that people were kind enough to share the info with me? Of course, and I thanked them for it. But if I hadn't known about it, logged onto the board this morning and seen that others got Arnold, I would have been disappointed that I hadn't stumbled onto the info myself, but I wouldn't have had any ill will towards the people who knew, since it's not their responsibility to hand me that info.

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » March 5th, 2018, 12:48 pm

Sounds reasonable to me *shrugs* although I think I would be a little irked that I wasn't told if it was known that I wanted an Arnold photo op. I would think, "How would telling me put this in jeopardy? It's just me, what am I going to do?"
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » March 5th, 2018, 1:39 pm

ICW wrote:
March 5th, 2018, 12:48 pm
Sounds reasonable to me *shrugs* although I think I would be a little irked that I wasn't told if it was known that I wanted an Arnold photo op. I would think, "How would telling me put this in jeopardy? It's just me, what am I going to do?"
As I said, there was one person who opined for Arnold over and over, it was AJ, so I would have felt really crappy. There is another member who I know wanted Arnold as a top top want, but we heard he knew about it and chose not to come.