What do you guys do with all your autographs?

Discuss general topics dealing with the hobby.
oldschoolwwwf
Marked Out Master

What do you guys do with all your autographs?

Post by oldschoolwwwf » September 27th, 2018, 5:44 pm

For years I collected wrestling autographs at conventions and really enjoyed it. Posters, 8x10s, classic figures, etc. this goes back a lot of years. Most of you guys probably have 2-3x the stuff I have at least. What do you do with it all? I have a nice sized house but there’s still never enough room to display everything . Instead the figs are in boxes in the attic, the 8x10s are in binders in boxes. Makes me kind of wonder why I spent so much time and money back then.

What about you guys that go out constantly for combos? What do you do with it all? And do you ever regret spending so much time on this stuff? I don’t regret the time spent since it was fun and I do like looking at the pics from time to time. But the 8x10s and most of the figs, I don’t really care about. That time and energy would have been better spent in my case. I still like the posters though, even if very few of them will ever get displayed.

Curious on your guys thoughts...obviously I’m not referring to the guys who have a few select special pieces. I’m referring to those with the mountains of autographs.

lanza218
Site Admin

Re: What do you guys do with all your autographs?

Post by lanza218 » September 27th, 2018, 9:00 pm

Slowly displaying the framed stuff. 8x10s sit in binders. Figures in bins. But funny enough just started looking into shelving

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » September 27th, 2018, 9:16 pm

I hang most (but not all) of my posters in my house. I eventually plan to finish my basement into a rec room and display the remaining posters, but I've been wanting to do that for five years and still haven't gotten around to doing it yet, lol.

My 8x10's are in binders, my Japanese books and programs are boxed. A few of my completed projects are in nicer frames.

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » September 27th, 2018, 9:42 pm

A lot of my 'graphs are in my encyclopedia or programs, so it's a bit difficult to display. I do have some 8x10s that I attend to display in the near future.

As for your second question: I don't regret any time that I've spent in this hobby -- although I'm not as extreme as some of the members here. I go to, what, four wrestling conventions and a handful of signings throughout the year?
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

wewantflair
Site Admin

Post by wewantflair » September 27th, 2018, 11:11 pm

I've sold off most of my figure and belt collection. Posters and rest of the figures are in storage.

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » September 28th, 2018, 4:18 am

Good question. Sadly as I grew older I realized I accumulated too much stuff. This is a huge reason why I no longer pay for autographs anymore. In fact I hardly buy anything non-essential these days besides photo ops at cons or cheap blu rays. I do regret paying for as many wrestling autos as I did during my early days. I also sold out a chunk of my celeb autos but I still have lots left (photos, DVDs, laserdiscs, records, posters, figures, etc). So very little of my wrestling stuff though. Still have all the CS figures signed. As for time I regret the time lost failing at stuff.

Since I'm going through my mid life crisis early realizing I'm going to die very soon, I'm left wondering what to do with my stuff. On one hand it's hard to let go of stuff I love, on the other hand in 60 years I'm guaranteed to have been long gone and none of it will matter. :drinking:
lanza218 wrote:
September 27th, 2018, 9:00 pm
But funny enough just started looking into shelving
Walmart has cheap wooden shelves. Like $25 cheap.
AJLe wrote:
September 27th, 2018, 9:16 pm
I hang most (but not all) of my posters in my house.
You have a house? Why did I think you lived in an apartment?
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets
:hcit:
View my celebrity report Blog http://celebmeets.blogspot.com/

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » September 28th, 2018, 6:50 am

class316 wrote:
September 28th, 2018, 4:18 am

AJLe wrote:
September 27th, 2018, 9:16 pm
I hang most (but not all) of my posters in my house.
You have a house? Why did I think you lived in an apartment?
I have no idea why you think most of things you think - I've owned a house since long before I ever posted on this board.

mikeyicon
Marked Out Pro

Post by mikeyicon » September 28th, 2018, 9:36 am

great question oldschoolwwf, thanks for engaging a good topic as I'm really bored today. :)

I wonder this myself for the guys who do this all of the time without families. I' personally am not an autograph guy and they mean very little to me so anything I happen to have is either in my bottom drawer collecting dust or 1-2 posters I'm waiting to put up in my future pop culture room when I move. Otherwise, I just gave to my kids or sold on ebay. I do create projects with my photos and in about 2-3 years once I complete a second book for my own interest and to share something fun with my kids, I'm done with this stuff and moving on. I'm becoming a less is more guy. Like ICW, I only go to 2 Chiller shows, 2 Monster manias, the occasional book signing at Bookends, and any local events if they aren't going to be circus and that's it. This whole hobby has gotten way out of control and become less stimulating personally due to cell phones, conventions, GTV, twitter, events every five minutes, $$$$, etc.

I truly would love to see the collections of guys like Jeremiah and Greg and hope they have at least framed these things on their walls or have a binder organized or create a cool website with stories. To me, that would be awesome organizing in groups per show, or genre, or band.etc. If they are just in piles in a closet and personalized with no resale value, why even get the autographs or care at all I wonder

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » September 28th, 2018, 9:44 am

I have those Itoya art folders in 8x10, 11x14, and 11x17 varieties, and flats are in there. I have some stuff framed but not much. Plus a few small shelves with books and dvds. In reality my autograph collection pales in comparison to my video game collection, aka my first love.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

wewantflair
Site Admin

Post by wewantflair » September 28th, 2018, 12:50 pm

Greg2600 wrote:
September 28th, 2018, 9:44 am
I have those Itoya art folders in 8x10, 11x14, and 11x17 varieties, and flats are in there. I have some stuff framed but not much. Plus a few small shelves with books and dvds. In reality my autograph collection pales in comparison to my video game collection, aka my first love.
How is your video game collection organized? My buddy has an absolutely massive retro game collection and his wife is hounding him about organizing it properly. We are trying to figure out a solution. To have some idea, he has pretty much the whole SNES/N64 library and a decent chunk of the NES library. Also has significant quantities of Xbox, Wii, Wii U, Ps1, Ps2, Game Cube, and some games from pretty much all the minor systems.

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » September 28th, 2018, 1:06 pm

wewantflair wrote:
September 28th, 2018, 12:50 pm
How is your video game collection organized? My buddy has an absolutely massive retro game collection and his wife is hounding him about organizing it properly. We are trying to figure out a solution. To have some idea, he has pretty much the whole SNES/N64 library and a decent chunk of the NES library. Also has significant quantities of Xbox, Wii, Wii U, Ps1, Ps2, Game Cube, and some games from pretty much all the minor systems.
Ehhhh, it's modestly organized! I have big IKEA bookshelves, and those have many vintage cartridge drawers, and the games are in those. I don't really collect the original boxes. I also have vintage drawers for CD systems as well. The newer DVD-style cased-games are on a few other narrow bookshelves. I used to have a ton of DVD movies, unopened, mostly the big sets of TV and film franchises. I sold basically all of them, as I never watched/opened them, and that created space. Most collectors have big tubs with games in them, same that most wrestler figure collectors do. With the advent of "flash" homebrew carts though, one could spend $100-150, and be able to play essentially an entire cartridge library for a system, and just sell all the games. It's something I frequently consider doing, as I bought ALL those carts (not counting my Atari/Nintendo/Sega stuff from youth) to play them, not merely collect.

As for the consoles, controllers, and whatnot themselves...I have some in their original boxes, which are basically just stuffed in the closet. The ones I actual play, I got those Sterilite 3-drawer things. They're cheap, and you can fit a lot of stuff in each one, plus you can connect/stack them a bit. Many people have giant shelving setups with every system hooked up at all times, with dust covers on them. That's just crazy.

Example of a cart drawer....

The 3-drawers.....
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

oldschoolwwwf
Marked Out Master

Post by oldschoolwwwf » September 28th, 2018, 6:42 pm

mikeyicon wrote:
September 28th, 2018, 9:36 am
great question oldschoolwwf, thanks for engaging a good topic as I'm really bored today. :)

I truly would love to see the collections of guys like Jeremiah and Greg and hope they have at least framed these things on their walls or have a binder organized or create a cool website with stories. To me, that would be awesome organizing in groups per show, or genre, or band.etc. If they are just in piles in a closet and personalized with no resale value, why even get the autographs or care at all I wonder
Jorsky, I would love your answer too as you must have thousands of autographs.

Luke
Marked Out King

Post by Luke » September 30th, 2018, 7:22 pm

Admittedly I only have about 100 signed items ranging from movies to sports to wrestling but most of my stuff goes to my mums for storage right now. As others have said the majority of the items are in cupboards or boxes waiting for the day to be framed.

At only age 27 though the idea is to eventually buy a half decent house with my girlfriend and either have a small theatre room where we can watch movies together/with friends and have my signed movie posters on the wall just as a cool thing to talk about if need be.

In terms of the rest ideally as another poster said I'd like some kind of activity room where I can put the majority of it on the walls or displayed. Sports memorabilia covering the walls and in display cases whilst having a pool table or whatever would be really cool in my opinion.

My favourite items such as my original signed Bond poster will be going in the lounge room.

Gumby
Marked Out Pro

Post by Gumby » October 2nd, 2018, 10:44 pm

Any dvds/blu-rays/box sets I have signed are all on shelves, some stuff is framed & displayed, while others are waiting to be.