16times Visits Steel City Con

This is the place to post reports from signing or on the street meets
Forum rules
DO NOT post the location for on the street meets. To keep the spots from being too crowded, we don't allow locations to be posted. You may only post location details about pay meets and organized free signings.
16times
Marked Out King

Re: 16times Visits Steel City Con

Post by 16times » August 12th, 2017, 9:48 pm

She was $40 for a photo, $60 for a combo.

I was telling Mrs. 16times today, I've been going to cons now for about 7 years. Back then, most people were $20 for a photo, and a lot of them would do a free photo if you did an autograph, which was also about $20. You could even find celebs charging only $10. And the folks who'd been doing cons a lot longer would tell of the days when photos were always free.

Now, $40 photos seem to be the norm. :smh:

The only celeb I encountered with the old school philosophy at Steel City Con was the baseball player, who was happy to shoot the breeze with fans and had merch to sell, but charged nothing to pose with you.
"Every time you score a photo op, an angel gets his wings!"

paphotoguy

Post by paphotoguy » August 13th, 2017, 11:09 am

I started in 2009. My first show was MM which was having a huge Friday the 13th reunion. Everyone charged $20 a sig and photos were free with purchase. If a show had a "headliner", like Alice Cooper, it would be $30 a sig and free pics. Charging more for photos was unheard of at shows like that until 2013 or so. Once photo ops came onto the scene and managers realized fans would pay it, it spread like wild fire and they decided to charge for table ops too. I still think it's a shitty thing to do.
Author, Photographer, Wandering Spirit
My first book, Travelogue of Horror is for sale worldwide and my second book will be released this fall.

Bud White
Learning To Mark Out

Post by Bud White » August 13th, 2017, 11:12 am

Agree. It's part of the gouging that these cons have become. Like you said tho, people pay it.

ICW
Marked Out King

Post by ICW » August 13th, 2017, 12:32 pm

Always love your reports, man. I think the Reynolds auto is fine though I understand the frustration. I'm glad you held your ground and got the re-do on the table photo op.
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

heelorton79
Marked Out Master

Post by heelorton79 » August 15th, 2017, 7:15 pm

Very cool. Nice you were able to hang with Bobby Brady.

16times
Marked Out King

Post by 16times » August 17th, 2017, 8:07 pm

A postscript to my Report....

At Steel City Con, I spent some time with famed illustrator Guy Gilcrest. He does great work, and I ended up having him make a custom drawing to hang on the wall at Casa 16times, based on my favorite Muppet song. He must have liked how it turned out, because later he shared it on his Instagram.
Guy Instagram.jpg
Also on Guy's Instagram, he shared this photo of hanging with Burt Reynolds in the hotel bar on Saturday night, drawing on a napkin while Burt nursed a cocktail. Asian Dave and I should've gone back all weekend. No telling what stories we'd have to tell...
Burt Bar.jpg
"Every time you score a photo op, an angel gets his wings!"