House of Hardcore - St James, NY

This is the place to post reports from signing or on the street meets
Forum rules
DO NOT post the location for on the street meets. To keep the spots from being too crowded, we don't allow locations to be posted. You may only post location details about pay meets and organized free signings.
WOODMO
Site Admin

House of Hardcore - St James, NY

Post by WOODMO » September 17th, 2016, 1:20 pm

Last night the wrestling promotion House of Hardcore debuted in my neck of the woods. St James is about 10 minutes from my house, so this was the natural spot for me to go get Ricochet, as the Long Island Evolve show was further away, which he was also appearing on. Ricochet is strongly rumored to be WWE bound and by all signs, seems to be someone with a pretty high ceiling, so I wanted to get him during these last NY indy shows.

I was joined at the last minute by :crayira: who was unable to attend the Evolve show in Queens last week. I arrived at the venue about 30 minutes before the advertised start of the meet and greet, and I was "greeted" by two buffoons in safety vests who damn near jumped in-front of my car to make sure I stopped. As I rolled down my window, they asked me what I was here for. I wasn't sure what else I could be here for, or else I would have lied, so I answered with the truth and I was forced to spend $5 on parking. Had I known they played youth hockey here, I could have told them I was picking up a kid, in the least creepy way possible of course, but oh well. What a rip off, but free parking alternatives were not readily available. I could have parked in McDonald's lot and hope they didn't tow me, but that was my only option. The road this center had no standing signs on both sides. Oh well, $5 for nothing, what can you do. As I get deeper into the lot, I encounter two more dopes who need to instruct me where to park.....In a half empty parking lot, and the instructions were "park wherever".... OK, thanks?

I parked finally and walked inside. Ira was late, I presumed falling victim to the LIE traffic which is deadly around rush hour thanks to all the NYC traffic heading back to the Island. I walk inside and find a line of about 5 people, one of which was Cactus B. After about 15 mins, Ira touched down and made his way inside. We began to bullshit until we were finally let into the show. I approach the ticket table and hand the guy my driver's license, as the email instructed, so I could claim my pre ordered GA ticket. The guy proceeds to completely ignore the fact I gave him the ID, and begin listing the ticket options available. Umm, Buffoon #5 for those of you keeping score at home. I hit him with :pause: and say, "I pre ordered, why else would I hand you my ID?" and he apologizes and finds my ticket.

Once inside, we noticed Ricochet walking to his table, so we approached. Gone were the $10 combo prices that ICW got, instead he was a $40 combo or $20 each. When the handler said $20, we assumed both, and Ira asked if it were both and the handler said "no, each". Ricochet then says "wow, that's a lot to ask people to pay, isn't it?" and had a good laugh at his own prices.... :thinking: ..... I got my photo after that, and we were on our way. Ricochet was nice and thanked us both for coming.

Up next was El Torito faced El Torito. This is where I felt a bit like :feasting: :gottacatchthemall:. I expected him to be $15, but keeping with the trend of this show, he too was $20. I felt insane, but I still did it. Whatever, I need so few wrestlers now a days. I of course opted for my often used, and likely offensive "kneel-down" pose for the little people I encounter.

After this, I went up to Curt Hawkins, who complemented my Cessaro/Kidd shirt, and got a photo with him. For, well, I'm sure you can guess by now, $20. I expected him to be $15, so it wasn't like I was going to pass over $5, but I just didn't expect all of these guys to be damn near convention priced in an Indy Show.

Then, in another fit of :pokemon: rage, I decided to finally get Reby Sky. If WWE ever brings the Hardys back, she may be apart of that. Or not, who knows, but she was only $15 so I figured, yet again, what the fuck? Why not.

At this point, we noticed Bull Dempsey unpacking his shit. Now I didn't want to be the only two people eagerly waiting on line behind him, so I said to Ira lets walk away and come back in a minute or two. Well, he set up his stuff and ran away, never to return. Well, not never, but not before intermission. I wasn't overly concerned about him, but I planned on staying for a bit of the show anyhow, so we grabbed a seat and watched the show. The card was not great, at least not the part we saw. Lot of nobodies. Two straight matches ended on a pedigree finish, including Matt Stryker employing it. Odd to say the least. Hardy vs Sandow was solid, but I don't watch TNA so all the DELETE chants kind of went over my head.

Finally, Bull Dempsey was there and we approached him for a $10 combo. Nice guy, and the only price point that I expected at this show.

At this point, we said our goodbyes and headed home. Nothing else to see really, plus I was hungry. The crowd was very strong, so I suspect they will be back. I didn't LOVE the prices, and I hated the $5 parking, but it's so close I'll go again if they bring in names I need. You can't beat a 10 minute drive.

UFOboy
Full Fledged Mark

Re: House of Hardcore - St James, NY

Post by UFOboy » September 17th, 2016, 1:54 pm

good stuff man! I got Ricochet at an indy show in January for $5.00 combo with 8x10 included..my his prices increased, then got him on the street after a lucha underground event for free..but didn't take ops , which was ok..for that price of 40, I would want a Prince Puma masked op!

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » September 17th, 2016, 2:25 pm

Great stuff but, man, what's with those prices? I dealt with Ricochet directly and not with a handler, so no surprise he was a $40 combo. It's not *terrible* because he's a top, top Indie name and he'll be over as all hell in NXT/WWE.

Dempsey was free when I met him at HOH in April. My body paid $40 for the Hardy Family pic, not to terrible.
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » September 17th, 2016, 3:07 pm

Thanks guys! I never watched Lucha so mask less was actually preferred :lol:

I assume WWE will keep him unmasked anyway.

CactusB

Post by CactusB » September 18th, 2016, 9:01 am

Prices were high because they were set by RF (who "runs" HoH).
Several of the wrestlers were surprised at the prices being charged. A few even apologized when I flat out turned them down after hearing the prices.
However, as long as people are willing to pay the high prices, they will continue to rise.

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » September 18th, 2016, 9:41 am

CactusB wrote:Prices were high because they were set by RF (who "runs" HoH).
Several of the wrestlers were surprised at the prices being charged. A few even apologized when I flat out turned them down after hearing the prices.
However, as long as people are willing to pay the high prices, they will continue to rise.
This is true, although when you purchase a ticket to the event only for the meet and greet, as I did, it's impossible to really draw your line in the sand and pass on meeting the people you came to see. I spent money on the ticket which would have been entirely wasted had I made a stand on high prices.

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » September 18th, 2016, 10:32 am

Not looking to defend :rf: here, but you're talking about wrestlers with low recognition at this point. He's merely protecting himself against a bad turnout/sales. This isn't Scott Hall being handed a # to appear, and being confident he'll get 100 combos or whatever.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » September 18th, 2016, 12:01 pm

Greg2600 wrote:Not looking to defend :rf: here, but you're talking about wrestlers with low recognition at this point. He's merely protecting himself against a bad turnout/sales. This isn't Scott Hall being handed a # to appear, and being confident he'll get 100 combos or whatever.
Really low recognition is very debatable. Broken Matt Hardy and his family are probably the most over thing in wrestling at the moment, Ricochet is massively popular/over because of Lucha Underground/NJPW/PWG/Evolve, and Terry Funk is an icon.

But, with that said, I was always under the impression that most low level Indies don't have set prices for their meet and greets. It wasn't like that when I went to HOH back in April. I got nearly everyone for free. RF was there but he was running his own merch table and it didn't appear like he was in charge. If this is really his fed and he's profiting off meet and greets, HOH isn't getting a dime from me anymore.

Ring of Honor has set prices but it's always the same - $20 for a singles wrestler, $30 for a tag team. That's hardly a rip off. Hell, I should've paid a $40-$50 combo for someone like Hiroshi Tanahashi, Shinsuke Nakamura, and Kazuchika Okada so $20 is a steal. Evolve has set a $20 combo for Cody Rhodes but the other wrestlers set their own prices. These prices are off big time.
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » September 18th, 2016, 12:28 pm

All I'm saying is don't take the wrestlers' word for it that they have "nothing" to do with the prices. This was a typical Chiller thing too, and whenever it would happen, the staff would ask the fans who said it, and they'd come down on them, because the celeb set the prices.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » September 18th, 2016, 12:50 pm

Greg2600 wrote:All I'm saying is don't take the wrestlers' word for it that they have "nothing" to do with the prices. This was a typical Chiller thing too, and whenever it would happen, the staff would ask the fans who said it, and they'd come down on them, because the celeb set the prices.
Oh I'm not debating that. It's probably a similar agreement as if this was a convention.

hack87
Full Fledged Mark

Post by hack87 » September 18th, 2016, 1:04 pm

There was an indy fed that's since folded in NYC where wrestlers who charged $0 to $10 for combos on their own were charging up to $40 for combos when the promoter and vendors were setting their prices. I imagine this was the case here as well. I think in a lot of cases vendors would rather jack up the price than risk not breaking even. The small number of fans who really want the autographs / photo ops will pay the price and that'll make up for the high potential that not enough people will be interested enough to pay anything.

There was a convention over the weekend where I could have used three talents. Driving eight hours back and forth to Philly wasn't happening for such limited wants. On top of that, $25 for a photo op with Boris Zhukov is ridiculous. I can see overpaying for David Schultz since he'll probably never come back around. But Zhukov?! They also had Tod Gordon, who I could take or leave, and Lady Blossom, who would be good to meet, but again not worth all the time and money.

There are definitely wrestlers -- even on the indies -- who will try to milk fans for every dollar they can. But by and large, when you're dealing with indy wrestlers -- and lots of current / former TV talents -- you'll pay considerably less than you will with middle men. An exception, I suppose, would be someone like Virgil. A vendor would pretty much guarantee set prices that'd likely be lower and less of a headache than dealing directly with him.

CactusB

Post by CactusB » September 18th, 2016, 2:49 pm

From what I was told by the talent there, the prices here were set by RF. They were the same prices he was charging at his convention in Philly on Saturday. It's not the best kept secret that Tommy Dreamer is the "face" of this company while "RF" is the money behind it (for lack of a better term).
I understand not drawing a line in the sand if you paid admission to meet a certain wrestler. That's where we differ. I will draw the line. Others won't. No biggie.
Had I not been comped a ticket to the show, I never would have attended.
(Two posts in one day. I've exceed my limit for the next 2 years already! LOL)

mrira
Marked Out Master

Post by mrira » September 18th, 2016, 8:48 pm

The only thing I can really add to this report is that I chose to get a photo with the entire Hardy family, which included Matt, Reby, their baby Max & Senor Benjamin (who is apparently Reby's dad).

bigman
Full Fledged Mark

Post by bigman » September 19th, 2016, 7:49 am

Those kinda prices really go against everything Dreamer tries to promote. Even if it's robs company. He's still the face. Indy wrestling is supposed to be cheap and easily accessible to meet the wrestlers. Those prices are absurd. I guess i'm just picky. I paid $5 for Punk way back when. Got Jushin Liger for free. Booker T for $5. etc etc. Richochet is good but he's not 40 good. I hope the convention bubble bursts with these prices but I doubt it. But this wasnt a convention!

Nightshift
Marking Out Amateur

Post by Nightshift » September 19th, 2016, 8:12 am

I went to a WSU/CZW double show recently in Philly and got Mia Yim/Jade and Allie/Cherry Bomb for $10 combos a piece. I thought was decent. Usually how it works. Taeler Hendrix wanted $20 for a photo and $20 for a autograph......easy pass there.