JOresky's New Jersey Horror Con 2017 Report & Other Meets

This is the place to post reports from signing or on the street meets
Forum rules
DO NOT post the location for on the street meets. To keep the spots from being too crowded, we don't allow locations to be posted. You may only post location details about pay meets and organized free signings.
Joresky

JOresky's New Jersey Horror Con 2017 Report & Other Meets

Post by Joresky » September 25th, 2017, 10:54 am

This past Saturday me and my good friend Jason attended the New Jersey Horror Con in Iselin, NJ. The whole reason I decided to attend this convention was the first convention appearance of actress Kerri Green (Andy in The Goonies, Lucas, Summer Rental). She was appearing at this con in a Goonies reunion with her costar Sean Astin (who I have met previously). There were a couple other get if there names for me but Kerri was the reason I attended. I got to the con and got in line to meet Kerri right away. I only waited a few minutes before being able to meet Kerri but she was $50 per autograph and was only doing pro ops for $50 plus $10 digital copy. Yes this was very expensive for her but but she is extremely rare, I am a huge Goonies fan and she was the last member I needed from the main cast. There are some supporting characters I still need from the movie but she is the last major one I needed. Kerri was very nice.. I told her I came from Baltimore just to meet her and she seemed flattered. Kerri was definitely one of my 80s crushes and she still looks great. Of course I bought the pro op and it came out great. I also got a photo with Cathy Podewell from Night of the Demons for $10, a combo with actress Scout Taylor-Compton (Laurie Strode in Rob Zombie's Halloween). I had met her many years ago at a convention but I have a nicer camera now so I figured I would upgrade. I also upgraded my photo op with actor/comedian Erik Stolhanske (Super Troopers, Broken Lizard). I got a group op with him and many of his Broken Lizard costars years ago in Towson but I wasn't next to him so I figured I could use an upgrade. I got a free group op with the cast of the horror movie Pretty Fine Things but unfortunately actress Camila Perez from Gotham who was supposed to appear with them no showed. Me and my friend Jason left around 3ish and headed back to Baltimore. There was Creation's Supernatural convention only 30 minutes north of where the New Jersey Horror Con was but I decided not to go because by the time I was finished with New Jersey Horror Con I missed most of the photo ops anyway. Oh well, can't be everywhere I suppose. We went downtown to a new restaurant opening in Baltimore where actor Danny Glover was scheduled to appear. I already had Danny but a couple of my friends didn't so I went anyway. Actor Kendrick Sampson (TVs The Vampire Diaries, How to Get Away with Murder) was also there. I couldn't remember if I previously met Kendrick so I got a photo with him just in case. We missed Danny going in so we had to wait a few hours for him to leave but he was very cool when he came out and took care of all of us. This was my second time meeting Danny since I previously met him at Chiller.

This past Tuesday I attended the Adam Ant concert in Baltimore with my good friend Bob. Bob had an extra ticket so he hooked me up. I had heard that Adam doesn't do photo ops so I knew not to expect anything from him. I got to meet the opening band Glam Skanks who hung out at their merch table and signed and took photos for everyone who asked after their set. They were a really fun band so I went ahead and met them. After Adam Ant's set Adam did a run off and my friend who was waiting at the side of the venue told me Adam wouldn't stop for him and he was the only person who was waiting. I guess the stories were true about how difficult Adam can be to meet. I don't regret going out that night because I got to hang out with my friend Bob and attend a fun concert for free and I got to meet the opening band. Overall, I had a good and productive time so these were some good outings for me.
photokerrigreen.jpg
Me and actress Kerri Green (Andy in The Goonies)
photoscouttaylorcompton.jpg
Me and actress Scout Taylor-Compton
photocathypodewell.jpg
Me and actress Cathy Podewell
photoerikstolhanske.jpg
Me and actor Erik Stolhanske
photoprettyfinethings.jpg
Me and the cast of Pretty Fine Things
photodannyglover.jpg
Me and actor Danny Glover
photokendricksampson.jpg
Me and actor Kendrick Sampson
photoglamskanks.jpg
Me and the band Glam Skanks
autokerrigreen.jpg
Kerri Green signed photo
autoscouttaylorcompton.jpg
Scout Taylor-Compton signed photo
autoglamskanks.jpg
Glam Skanks signed CD
autoglamskanks2.jpg
Glam Skanks signed poster

mikeyicon
Marked Out Pro

Re: JOresky's New Jersey Horror Con 2017 Report & Other Meets

Post by mikeyicon » September 25th, 2017, 12:12 pm

What would you have done if you arrived after 2:00 when pro photos were done and she was only sitting at her table twiddling her thumbs like she was when I got there since I had kids soccer games all morning. I thought I saw something where it confirmed she was doing table ops?

I'm not as crazy for this stuff as most, but I went with hopes of getting a table op with Kerri Green but didn't get there until 4:00 due to more important stuff aka family. She was sitting in an empty room with Astin, and because Sean Astin had in his contract no table photos, I believe it went right to Kerri Green's handlers although that was not in her contract from what I know. My friend was willing to pay for a photo of which I could have gotten in on. Logic says something is better than nothing, especially to do take a five second photo especially with kids (the next generation of Goonie fans!). Not sure why these management groups are so illogical when there are no big lines and the point is to make money on this, right? I just didn't want to make a scene since I went to the show to enjoy with friends and my kids (who needed to chat with Miko Hughes since he was Aaron on full House and he was great with them) and it was close. Although I did ask if management was on-site so I could ask them why they are throwing away easy money but was told absolutely not. Oh well!

I was thinking what would the hard-core fans on this site would have thought about the situation?

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » September 25th, 2017, 12:18 pm

Great photos Jerry, and nice chatting with you. As for the pro op situation, well, first I heard Sean Astin did do table ops on Friday night, though I didn't bother confirming. As for Saturday, the tiny room they stuck them in made table ops problematic. Frankly, there was NO room in there. I was told by Rob Bruce that there was another event happening in the other conference rooms, so they couldn't be used, although he planned to rectify that for the next show. Table ops or not, she was overpriced, and definitely lost money from people I know who didn't go when they heard the price. She did do a 2nd, small group of pro photos later in the day, before leaving.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

Joresky

Post by Joresky » September 25th, 2017, 12:24 pm

mikeyicon wrote:
September 25th, 2017, 12:12 pm
What would you have done if you arrived after 2:00 when pro photos were done and she was only sitting at her table twiddling her thumbs like she was when I got there since I had kids soccer games all morning. I thought I saw something where it confirmed she was doing table ops?

I'm not as crazy for this stuff as most, but I went with hopes of getting a table op with Kerri Green but didn't get there until 4:00 due to more important stuff aka family. She was sitting in an empty room with Astin, and because Sean Astin had in his contract no table photos, I believe it went right to Kerri Green's handlers although that was not in her contract from what I know. My friend was willing to pay for a photo of which I could have gotten in on. Logic says something is better than nothing, especially to do take a five second photo especially with kids (the next generation of Goonie fans!). Not sure why these management groups are so illogical when there are no big lines and the point is to make money on this, right? I just didn't want to make a scene since I went to the show to enjoy with friends and my kids (who needed to chat with Miko Hughes since he was Aaron on full House and he was great with them) and it was close. Although I did ask if management was on-site so I could ask them why they are throwing away easy money but was told absolutely not. Oh well!

I was thinking what would the hard-core fans on this site would have thought about the situation?
Yes thats completely messed up... I was told by one of the promoters on facebook earlier in the week that Kerri would be doing table ops and come day of the show that turned out to be false.. of course I was getting the photo one way or another so I went ahead and purchased the pro op.. makes no sense to me why they would want to turn away money when she had small or no lines

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » September 25th, 2017, 2:04 pm

Great stuff

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » September 25th, 2017, 2:13 pm

They had some sort of bomb threat on Thursday night, which necessitated a move of The Goonies folks into that small room. My guess is once that was done, they realized table ops were not possible.

Joresky

Post by Joresky » September 25th, 2017, 2:21 pm

Greg2600 wrote:
September 25th, 2017, 2:13 pm
They had some sort of bomb threat on Thursday night, which necessitated a move of The Goonies folks into that small room. My guess is once that was done, they realized table ops were not possible.
Still doesn't make sense to me why they couldn't have done table ops in the small room... her lines were very small so should have been no issue, oh well with people like me they know they will get my money regardless

mikeyicon
Marked Out Pro

Post by mikeyicon » September 25th, 2017, 2:38 pm

C'mon Jeremiah, you are ruining it for the rest of us! :) just kidding.

I actually spoke to Rob Bruce (who by the way is a really cool guy!) about the show and the issues with the Goonies. He asked what I thought of the show. I told him I had seen something directly from the show on FB about table photos, but figured maybe there was an issue with guarantees or something with the promoter, which was not the case at all. I couldn't remember, otherwise I might have had some room to work with.

1) Sean Astin has an issue with a stalker (hoping nobody on this board) which is why they moved him to a more secluded room with tighter security
2) Rob indicated that getting Kerri Green was really simple and not sure why it took this long to get her doing shows. He looked her up in a phonebook and called her to come do it. Not hard at all. She's local, btw! I imagine once she decided to do it, her management figured they can set BS rules knowing people will pay since she is a rare name, is in some classic 80's movies, and very limited travel expenses. Maybe there were new things they learned from Sean Astin mgmt who does these shows all the time. Maybe Kerri felt uncomfortable with the crowd there?
3) Although she wasn't doing taple ops, you could still chat with Kerri which was nice. I know most people just want a photo and autograph, but I hit these shows to chat with the stars if I can. I hesitated here since my kids do know the Goonies, but know Mikey and Chunk much more than Andi. Plus, I'm sure the handlers and security were going to make us feel uncomfortable with buying something and I didn't want to let loose with my kids with me.
4) Rob was not lying on room avail, as there was an African American wedding going on around 5:30. Sucks these people had to deal with a hotel full of comboheads. :) probably why they opted for this small room with the goonies. If you went just for them, ironically you could hit that area without even having to pay admission.

I noticed Class was there in his own little world assuming he was shut out of the Kerri Green photo as well and we all know he will go to extremes to get his photos. I was talking to this cute girl who also was disappointed but I noticed him and indicated to her he could be a variable. I was thinking of waiting around to see if Class was going to pull one of his stunts, and if he was successful, then maybe I could take advantage of the situation. But with my kids there and my friend indicating it wasn't a big deal and not waiting to wait around, I decided not to worry too much.

This was a nice little show very similar to Chiller without the big-time plethora of guests.

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » September 26th, 2017, 12:51 pm

mikeyicon wrote:
September 25th, 2017, 2:38 pm
I noticed Class was there in his own little world assuming he was shut out of the Kerri Green photo as well and we all know he will go to extremes to get his photos. I was talking to this cute girl who also was disappointed but I noticed him and indicated to her he could be a variable. I was thinking of waiting around to see if Class was going to pull one of his stunts, and if he was successful, then maybe I could take advantage of the situation. But with my kids there and my friend indicating it wasn't a big deal and not waiting to wait around, I decided not to worry too much.

This was a nice little show very similar to Chiller without the big-time plethora of guests.
:haeeeh:

I actually :spliy: Kerri Green with :greg:

That being said, someone I know who came late managed to get a free pro op with Kerri.

Then after it was two other friends managed to mooch Sean Astin after he was done. I had Sean so I didn't bother to fight for the mooch.
Last edited by class316 on September 26th, 2017, 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets
:hcit:
View my celebrity report Blog http://celebmeets.blogspot.com/

mikeyicon
Marked Out Pro

Post by mikeyicon » September 26th, 2017, 4:46 pm

I assumed you came late to the party and there was no way Class was going to get shut out off a photo with a Goonie making her first appearance. Good to know you were able to get the photo

crowbar
Marked Out King

Post by crowbar » September 27th, 2017, 8:52 am

you guys are acting like she's a huge name

Joresky

Post by Joresky » September 27th, 2017, 8:56 am

crowbar wrote:
September 27th, 2017, 8:52 am
you guys are acting like she's a huge name
If you are a Goonies fan she is a big name but in the grand scheme of things she isn't.. I have been a Goonies fan ever since I was young (when the movie came out) so this was a huge deal for me, plus i've met the rest of the main cast (just need a couple supporting actors now)

mikeyicon
Marked Out Pro

Post by mikeyicon » September 27th, 2017, 11:45 am

like jeremiah said, if you grew up in the 80s and watched these movies (Lucas, Summer Rental) over and over on cable and VHS back in the day, she is a name. If you aren't fans of 80's movies or the goonies, she is a nobody!

crowbar
Marked Out King

Post by crowbar » September 27th, 2017, 11:49 am

I enjoyed the Goonies but I do not remember her from it. I literally remember every other star in that film.

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » September 27th, 2017, 11:50 am

crowbar wrote:
September 27th, 2017, 11:49 am
I enjoyed the Goonies but I do not remember her from it. I literally remember every other star in that film.
HELLO! She had to play the bone organ!