Fresh off The Wire, Sabrina's spell Curb's your Enthusiasm - Sept 2017

This is the place to post reports from signing or on the street meets
Forum rules
DO NOT post the location for on the street meets. To keep the spots from being too crowded, we don't allow locations to be posted. You may only post location details about pay meets and organized free signings.
Greg2600

Fresh off The Wire, Sabrina's spell Curb's your Enthusiasm - Sept 2017

Post by Greg2600 » October 1st, 2017, 3:31 pm

As I will be totally locked down in NYCC mode for the week coming, I wanted to get reports up en masse. So here's a few “isolated” meets…

First I journeyed to Brooklyn to try for Melissa Joan Hart of Sabrina the Teenage Witch and Clarissa Explains It All fame. She’ll be at NYCC, but this is an off the beaten path spot, so I went. She pulled up late and had to rush in. Just 3 of us waited for exits, and she was nice as can be!

:swoon:

Second journey was a quick one, after work and before softball. This time I made my way into a hole in the wall in Jersey City for The Atari’s guitarist, former child actor Brian Bonsall. For me, he’s most notable as Alexander, son of Worf, on Star Trek TNG. Yes, he was at Chiller 2 years ago, but he was overpriced IMO, and I wound up skipping him. This time I staked the spot out, and off in the distance I spot him. Approached, and he was just as nice and friendly as he was at Chiller. Signed my 8x10, while his dad took the photo. Chatted for a few minutes about conventions, and his touring life, again, really good guy. I gave him a vintage Atari sticker as thanks, ha ha.

Continuing on, there are few bigger Curb Your Enthusiasm fans than I, and yet I am missing quite a few cast members still. In a rare fete, HBO held an event in NYC for the new season. Unfortunately, as typical with that company, fan access was absolutely ZERO. This was really a downer, because aside from myself, hardly any collectors or fans showed up for arrivals. All we could do was keep track of who was there, and even that was incomplete. Anyway, on exit, others arrived, and it was loony but mostly manageable. One of the first I spot was Susie Essman, who is hilarious on the show. Unfortunately, she’s become horrible with fans, and totally sour. I was literally the only person to get to her before the car, and she denied. Then as a joke, I asked for an “F-word at least,” a staple of her character, to which she barked, NO!
:blank: :blank:

Undeterred, I finally managed a photo with the funniest host on late night, John Oliver! Also got one with Jake Lacy from The Office, Girls and soon Rampage. Then it was time to get JB Smoove, who is simply marvelous on Curb. JB was being congratulated by half of the celebs in attendance, and spinning around. Somehow I got him to spin my way to get the photo! Last but not least, I see Aida Turturro of The Sopranos waving for a taxi, and grab that photo.

After this we moved to the next spot for this cast, but yet again Essman completely and rudely ignored us. I waited around for awhile, because I found out Bryan Greenberg (Nobel Son) and Cary Lowell (License to Kill) had attended. Bryan I got no problem, but Cary I didn’t see. She may well have left before I knew she was even there, but I was done and went home.

On the night prior to MM/TF Con, I attended a small performance of long-time YouTube cover artists Mike Massé and Jeff Hall out on Long Island. I know, who are they?? I saw their videos on YT ages ago, and was really quite impressed. They covered the Grateful Dead, U2, The Beatles, etc., really well. In particular, they did Toto’s Africa so well that Steve Lukather told Mike that he plays HIS video for friends all the time! Anywho, nearly 7 years ago, Rob and I interviewed Mike for the Paunch Show, and really hit it off. The show was terrific, really was, for just a two-man band (guitar and bass). After the show, they took photos with all. I managed to squeeze through to get one of the first, and Mike thanked me for coming. This was important, because I wanted to hit a NYC spot before the actor left.

I jumped in the car, and drove west, making it in quite enough time. The actor was Dominic West, former star of The Wire, and a long time want of mine. He exited, and when I asked for the graph first, he said give him a minute. After like 20, they finally began leaving, and he goes “oh shoot, I forgot about you over there!” Signed and did the selfie and gave me a nice slap on the back. Very cool guy.

The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

WOODMO
Site Admin

Re: Fresh off The Wire, Sabrina's spell Curb's your Enthusiasm - Sept 2017

Post by WOODMO » October 1st, 2017, 9:35 pm

Some excellent scores. I still need JB and Essman, but I guess good luck on the latter lol

heelorton79
Marked Out Master

Re: Fresh off The Wire, Sabrina's spell Curb's your Enthusiasm - Sept 2017

Post by heelorton79 » October 7th, 2017, 1:34 am

Good scores, too bad Essman is horrible..who would have thought..refuses photos for days, then I hear she finally stops at a spot.