Spidey walked the Boardwalk to Oz in the A-Team Van with Destro!

This is the place to post reports from signing or on the street meets
Forum rules
DO NOT post the location for on the street meets. To keep the spots from being too crowded, we don't allow locations to be posted. You may only post location details about pay meets and organized free signings.
Greg2600

Spidey walked the Boardwalk to Oz in the A-Team Van with Destro!

Post by Greg2600 » October 20th, 2017, 3:02 pm

Having missed Andrew Garfield the night I went to a few spots, I decided to try another time. I figured this would be more crowded, it was. However, Andrew promised to get to everyone and he did, so I got the photo. Obviously enjoyed his work in Hacksaw Ridge, and the new film Breathe should get him acclaim. Following this, I walked to a spot hoping for Margot Robbie, as well as Kelly Macdonald from Boardwalk Empire, who I missed the other night as well. Security seemed very lax, which turned out to be for a reason: no major celebs were coming! This despite a lousy cold drizzle we had to suffer through. On the way out, I grabbed a photo with Annie Parisse, a theater name who had a short run on Law and Order.

We walked to another spot for this crew, but it appeared dead, so we left. I was on the subway when I got word that the actors arrived on a different street! Garrrrr, so I had to go back, but everyone was in. We went to a side entrance for Margot but she garaged it. Waited and waited for the end, during which I should have left and gone for another spot but didn’t. In any event, Kelly Macdonald was super nice, and also got another Domnhall Gleeson photo. Didn’t bother with Robbie leaving as that seemed useless.

On to RetroCon, which I attended for the 3rd straight year. This time, Heel Orton :heelorton: expressed an interest in attending for The A-Team guys, so I picked him up on the way. We made good time, and as I thought, the actors had pretty much zero line. Arthur Burghardt seemed to be in good spirits, so I wanted to get him out of the way first. In speaking to the handler Chris, he promised to have him signed my GI Joe box set in the way I’d like. We talked about other voice actors and who might appear where. Sadly, sounds like both BJ Ward and John Irwin now have little to no financial reason to do public cons again, or for the first time. Got up to Arthur, who was really a riot. Kept goofing around, pretending to be mad. Did like 5 photos with him, as he kept making different goofy faces. Signed my DVD set perfectly!

Image Image
Image Image

Next up I just needed a graph from Rob Paulsen on the Pinky and the Brain 8x10, and chatted for a minute. AndrewS23 greeted us and we hung out too. While waiting, we got a photo with Chris Hensel, who appeared in one episode of Dukes of Hazzard as Jeb Stuart Duke. He said that the con could have a Dukes theme next year.

We approached the A-Team tables, and tried to understand how to get the group photo with the van, and how much it was going to be. Since he had no line, I went up to Dwight Shultz first, who played Howling Mad Murdock, as well as Barclay on Star Trek The Next Generation. I tried to get some kind of deal for two graphs but wasn’t successful. I got him on an old A-Team comic book I’ve had for years, and a ST TNG 8x10. Next we went to the Dirk Benedict line, and were told the van photo was now 60 versus 40 the day before! We argued and Dirk didn’t seem to care, and got it for 40. They supposedly were donating combo money to charity. I got him on the comic book, as well as an 8x10 of Starbuck from the original Battlestar Gallactica. I did manage a 10 buck discount on his graphs.

We waited a bit, and they started doing the van photos. We each took one from far away to get the whole van in the shot, and then a close up. It was also great talking to each guy, as Dwight commented on the problems with network TV show production, and Dirk talked about his son and early work in theater.

I recorded the panels, which I will post here later once I sync the AV up. The voice actors (Arthur and Rob) was quite entertaining, though Arthur tended to veer off topic. The A-Team panel was cool, but both guys, particularly Dirk, spent much of it complaining about how the show was hated by the network, and the biases that kept him from working much since.

We drove back into NYC in time for the exits for an event honoring the old HBO series Oz. I had photos with most of the actors attending, save one, Eamonn Walker, who played Said. I got him no problem though, as well as repeats with Lee Tergesen and Terry Kinney. I also snagged the creator Tom Fontana.

The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

Joresky

Re: Spidey walked the Boardwalk to Oz in the A-Team Van with Destro!

Post by Joresky » October 20th, 2017, 3:14 pm

Awesome stuff! Glad to hear Arthur Burghardt was cool after all the horror stories we heard.. didn't get any photos with the Cybertronic Spree at Retro Con? They might not be valid but they sure look cool

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » October 20th, 2017, 3:15 pm

Joresky wrote:
October 20th, 2017, 3:14 pm
Awesome stuff! Glad to hear Arthur Burghardt was cool after all the horror stories we heard.. didn't get any photos with the Cybertronic Spree at Retro Con? They might not be valid but they sure look cool
I wound up going Sunday, as that's when Orton could go, plus that's when they had the panels. The band was only there Saturday. However, my friend did their meet and greet there, and the concert on Saturday night. Their costumes are cool, but beyond that, I had no interest.

mikeyicon
Marked Out Pro

Post by mikeyicon » October 20th, 2017, 4:34 pm

nice job on the oz photos and cool A Team photo with the van. I had opportunity to possibly attend the Oz event, but I just don't have the energy, time and passion you have for this stuff.

crowbar
Marked Out King

Post by crowbar » October 20th, 2017, 4:40 pm

Nice OZ gets

yosemitechris
Marked Out Pro

Post by yosemitechris » October 20th, 2017, 4:41 pm

love the a-team photo op! guns and all very cool.

heelorton79
Marked Out Master

Post by heelorton79 » October 20th, 2017, 6:15 pm

Awesome! Fun day and a cool trip into the middle of nowhere...but the ride felt quick and painless. OZ event was so simple, with little investment.

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » October 20th, 2017, 6:31 pm

heelorton79 wrote:
October 20th, 2017, 6:15 pm
Awesome! Fun day and a cool trip into the middle of nowhere...but the ride felt quick and painless. OZ event was so simple, with little investment.
Yes we should have recorded the Harvey Weinsten and WWF discussion would have made a good podcast.

heelorton79
Marked Out Master

Post by heelorton79 » October 20th, 2017, 6:38 pm

Ahh yes...wouldn't mind doing that next time.

overthetop17
Marked Out Pro

Post by overthetop17 » October 20th, 2017, 6:41 pm

The GI Joe box set is awesome!............................ :like:

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » October 22nd, 2017, 4:59 pm

Video of the Panels