Gary Numan M&G in DC

This is the place to post reports from signing or on the street meets
Forum rules
DO NOT post the location for on the street meets. To keep the spots from being too crowded, we don't allow locations to be posted. You may only post location details about pay meets and organized free signings.
16times
Marked Out King

Gary Numan M&G in DC

Post by 16times » December 10th, 2017, 2:38 pm

I just experienced my first ever backstage Meet and Greet. I like the trend of touring bands offering paid Meet and Greets. If you're willing to part with some extra cash, you get some guaranteed face time with your favorite musician.

At least, that's the way it's supposed to work, but as we've read on this board in the past, some M & G's are better than others. But, with my hopes high, I bought a $220 Meet and Greet with 80s music icon Gary Numan when he came to play the 9:30 Club here in DC this weekend.

All in all, I had a fantastic time. Here's my adventure in photos....

Mrs. 16 Times thought it would be a good idea to get a hotel room in town the night before, so we could sleep in and not stress about getting into the city, since snow was forecast for the entire day Saturday. Plus, she would have somewhere to stay while I went to the Meet and Greet. Sounded good to me, so I planned to leave the hotel and take a cab over to the venue, then cab it back to the hotel afterwards and pick her up and take her to the show.

I had received an email to arrive NLT 2:45 at the door of the venue, where we'd be met by Dave, Gary Numan's tour manager. DC had started to get some heavy snow by mid day, so I headed out early to give myself plenty to time in case of bad traffic. I ended up being the first one there. Just me, Gary's bus, and a locked door.
1.jpg
With a least half an hour to kill, I went down the street to a local diner to get out of the snow. I returned a little later and joined the line that was rapidly forming. We passed the time sharing umbrellas to stay dry and trading stories about our favorite Numan hits over the years.
10.jpg
Finally, tour manager Dave arrives and gets us all in out of the cold. The 9:30 Club is a pretty small venue, and we gathered inside and waited for The Man to appear.
3.jpg
Dave quickly went over how things would go down. First off...don't eat any of the food over there on the bar ! That's for the crew. :rofl1: He told us we'd all have plenty of time with Gary. He said the Meet and Greets tend to run long, not because fans told their life story, but because Gary tends to talk their ears off. Dave goes backstage to fetch Gary, and we line up. We'd go on stage one by one and chat with him. He had a small table to sign whatever you brought him, and spent at least 3 or 4 minutes with each fan. There was only about 25 of us, but I ended up being one of the last fans up on stage, after the M&G had run for nearly 90 minutes ! Another fan I'd made friends with in line snapped this pic of my time on stage. That's trusty Road Manager Dave on the left, holding my cell phone. I'd handed it to him earlier and asked him to video tape Gary and I talking. Dave taped the whole encounter, which is a treasure.
4.jpg
Gary then posed up with me. I was very happy with how our pic came out.
5.jpg
I had brought my 80s CD's "Telekon" and "The Pleasure Principal" to get signed, as well as his new CD "Savage". I also had him sign my show ticket. He also signed a poster and an 8x10 photo for me that he was handing out to everybody, and Dave gave me a tote bag to carry it all in. My only regret was that I forgot to ask Gary to personalize the sigs. That poster would look awesome on my wall if it had been inscribed to me personally.
5a.jpg
And now, with all the Meet and Greet fans taken care of, Gary's band joined him for the soundcheck, which we all got to watch. This was amazing, and really capped off the experience. The house went dark, and Gary and the band ran through about 4 songs, complete with light cues...our own personal concert. I stood right next to the stage and shot some photos. Here's a couple of them.
6.jpg
7.jpg
With that, the Meet and Greet was over and we were shown the door. Everyone was absolutely high on the experience. What a grand time. It was well organized, the star delivered big time, and we'd all gotten nearly 2 hours with him including a private concert. Wow.

Problem was, it was snowing heavily, and here I was stuck on the sidewalk with a signed poster and no cabs in sight. My poster was gonna get ruined unless I thought of something fast. I tucked it under my coat and headed down U street, looking for either a cab or an idea to get out of this jam. I saw a CVS and thought maybe they sold poster tubes. Turns out they didn't, but they did sell Christmas wrapping paper, and that'll make one fine poster tube in a pinch ! I bought some, rolled up my signed poster and 8x10 pic, and presto, they were warm and safe and dry for the duration.

I picked up Mrs. 16 Times and we went back to the 9:30 club for the show. A line of fans stretched down the block, but another benefit of being a Meet and Greeter was I got to cut the line and go right in. Found a great spot on the balcony and enjoyed one of the best live shows I've seen in many years.
8.jpg
So, for $220, this Meet and Greet was money extremely well spent. I know they all don't go as well, but Gary Numan is taking care of his fans in a major way. This was a real treat for me.
Last edited by 16times on December 15th, 2017, 6:54 am, edited 4 times in total.
"Every time you score a photo op, an angel gets his wings!"

WOODMO
Site Admin

Re: Gary Numan M&G in DC

Post by WOODMO » December 10th, 2017, 4:44 pm

Truthfully I’m not super familiar with him but this was still a GREAT read and it looked like an even greater time. I’m glad it went so well Mark!

hack87
Full Fledged Mark

Post by hack87 » December 10th, 2017, 5:26 pm

I remember him from the early days of MTV. Very cool experience. The paid concert m&g's I've gone to often allow for one autograph or none. So it's really cool that he signed a few items for you, took a great photo and it was a good experience. I enjoy your reports. I can tell you have a lot of fun at the events you go to; it isn't just a chore.

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » December 10th, 2017, 6:21 pm

How every triple digit m&g should be. Photo op and your items done. Shame that's not common in this day and age.

And for those that don't realize, he is actually a good score

Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets
:hcit:
View my celebrity report Blog http://celebmeets.blogspot.com/

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » December 11th, 2017, 10:45 pm

Great get Mark. His Cars song was featuring in the menu of one of the Test Drive PC games I had, so it is literally drilled into my head!
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

Joresky

Post by Joresky » December 12th, 2017, 8:45 am

Awesome stuff Mark! :like: I wanted to go to this but I was in NY at Ace Comic Con.. oh well, hope he comes around again

heelorton79
Marked Out Master

Post by heelorton79 » December 12th, 2017, 6:10 pm

Glad to hear it went smoothly. Awesome!

Gumby
Marked Out King

Post by Gumby » December 15th, 2017, 12:58 am

Money well spent. Great report, 16X's!

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » December 16th, 2017, 10:59 am

Not familiar w/him but sounds like an awesome experience!
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/