December Report I: NY Wintercon

This is the place to post reports from signing or on the street meets
Forum rules
DO NOT post the location for on the street meets. To keep the spots from being too crowded, we don't allow locations to be posted. You may only post location details about pay meets and organized free signings.
Greg2600

December Report I: NY Wintercon

Post by Greg2600 » December 10th, 2017, 7:17 pm

Last week was pretty lousy, wound up sick for most of it, so I couldn’t go out. I finally drudged up the energy to get out to Wintercon in Queens, NY, for the 3rd year in a row. The primary draws this year were reunions for Buck Rogers and Blade Runner. I brought along the Buck poster I had signed in Hartford last year, but for Blade Runner, which I’m not a fan of, I wanted the actors for other work. I parked outside for free and walked in, paid for admission, and sat through the Blade Runner panel. The moderator was absolutely terrible, but the actors were very funny. That being said, this easily wins an award for nicest convention program of the year!

Image Image

The main want was Rutger Hauer, who’s up in age now, and lives in Europe, so we don’t see him in US cons very often. He plays a humorous type of ornery character on True Blood, in the Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie, and the 1996 B-movie Crossworlds. That movie starred Josh Charles, and dealt with parallel universes, which as a Sliders diehard, I’m all about. I watched it like 200 times, and had Josh sign the DVD once. Anywho, I had to wait about 30 minutes for Rutger to start again, and he made a grand entrance while riding a bicyle around the show floor! Made some goofy small talk, and zee combo was mine!

Also on hand from BR were Joanna Cassidy, William Sanderson, and Sean Young. Joanna I met earlier this year and got a photo, so I opted for the autograph on Don’t Tell Mom The Babysitter’s Dead. Joanna couldn’t have been nicer, and really enjoyed the films she’s done. I asked her about working with director Andrew Davis, one of my favorites, which was very enlightening. Sanderson was a character, very nice, but did say that a Deadwood movie is filming in 2018 which was both news to me and a nice surprise! Lastly, Sean I only got a photo with, but did tell her how much I loved Ace Ventura. She was really friendly, and hammed it up with the fans.

From the Buck cast, I got a combo from Erin Gray, co-star of the show, who was very nice. Also there was Barbara Luna, who I got a photo with. To me, she’s known for Star Trek’s classic episode Mirror, Mirror.

The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

WOODMO
Site Admin

Re: December Report I: NY Wintercon

Post by WOODMO » December 10th, 2017, 10:00 pm

Rutger is a nice one. Very cool

djknightrida
Marked Out Master

Post by djknightrida » December 10th, 2017, 11:41 pm

Did Luna do all her pics like you’re attending prom?
2017 Most Unique Photo Winner

:dj:

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » December 11th, 2017, 9:23 am

More or less, she was very hands on, ha ha. Insisted on flash being on even cell phones.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

heelorton79
Marked Out Master

Post by heelorton79 » December 12th, 2017, 6:00 pm

Very cool. Yeh, that's what's nice about cons..you could bs with the celebs like Cassidy, who didn't have the time when we met her earlier in the year.