Steel City Report

This is the place to post reports from signing or on the street meets
Forum rules
DO NOT post the location for on the street meets. To keep the spots from being too crowded, we don't allow locations to be posted. You may only post location details about pay meets and organized free signings.
paphotoguy

Steel City Report

Post by paphotoguy » December 10th, 2017, 9:15 pm

I don't think I've ever written a report here. I started going to Cons in 2009 and went crazy at horror themed conventions. Life stuff came up in 2012 and I dropped from 5-10 shows a year to 1 and sometimes none. This year I'm getting back into things and decided to hit the Steel City Con since it's basically in my back yard.

I went Friday only and, even though I missed a couple guests, that was a good call because the place was pretty much dead. I didn't wait in line for anyone other than Richard Dreyfuss for more than 2 minutes. I was #35 for RD, getting my ticket as soon as I got there, then I went around and met all of the other guests that interested me, or who I was getting for friends.

First up was Tom Wilson. I know most people wanted him for BTTF stuff and that's where his $50 for a sig/$50 for a selfie came in, but I wanted to meet him because he starred in April Fool's Day. He liked the lobby card I'd printed out to get signed. Honestly, I thought his price was unjustified, but I was able to get a pic of him alone (which is what I prefer anyway) for free so I went with it.

I scooted over to Barbara Hershey next. She had no line and was $40 for a sig. She said she didn't like having her photo taken and I joked that she was in the long line of work. I didn't get the warm fuzzies or anything from her, but she was nice enough.

My # still hadn't been called for RD so I went over to Kimmy Robertson and Harry Goaz. Again, no line. They were $40 each and I paid another $20 to get pics of each of them. Both were really friendly but had just been called for their pro ops and were in a rush to get there. From what I heard, they actually didn't have anybody that had paid for ops or very few, and were back at their tables in less than 5 minutes. Poor management from the Con imo to schedule pro ops before 5pm on a Friday.

I was getting Yano Anaya and Zack Ward for a friend. Both were nice guys. Zack told me about a horror film he'd produced and he had some copies for sale on his table so I bought one of those too. Both were, I believe $25 a sig and let me take pics for free. Zack's DVD was $25 signed.

Last up was Richard Dreyfuss, who was my main (and really only) reason for attending the show. He was chatting with everyone in line, sometimes so long that his manager/handlers had to sort of encourage him to sign the pic/item and move on. I told him I thought he had one of the greatests resumes of any actor around and he leaned in close and whispered, "I think so too!" Super friendly guy and he really seemed to be having fun. He was $50 and I didn't have to pay for the pic.

Overall, it was a pretty quick show for me but I had a good time.
Author, Photographer, Wandering Spirit
My first book, Travelogue of Horror is for sale worldwide and my second book will be released this fall.

WOODMO
Site Admin

Re: Steel City Report

Post by WOODMO » December 10th, 2017, 9:32 pm

Excellent stuff! Sounds like an easy time

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » December 10th, 2017, 10:15 pm

Love the photos!
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

Cozmik
Learning To Mark Out

Post by Cozmik » December 11th, 2017, 9:43 am

Nice photography!

paphotoguy

Post by paphotoguy » December 11th, 2017, 10:16 am

Thanks so much for the kind words!
My first book, Travelogue of Horror is for sale worldwide and my second book will be released this fall.

heelorton79
Marked Out Master

Post by heelorton79 » December 13th, 2017, 3:52 pm

Just to clarify, did you have to pay to take photos of them? Also, did you get autographs as well?

paphotoguy

Post by paphotoguy » December 13th, 2017, 9:39 pm

heelorton79 - I paid for autographs from all of the celebs pictured. Only Kimmy/& Harry's manager charged me extra ($20) for a snapshot of them solo.

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » December 14th, 2017, 5:52 pm

Yeah the photographs are excellent. Very unique and great to see