JOresky's Ace Comic Con 2017 Report

This is the place to post reports from signing or on the street meets
Forum rules
DO NOT post the location for on the street meets. To keep the spots from being too crowded, we don't allow locations to be posted. You may only post location details about pay meets and organized free signings.
Joresky

JOresky's Ace Comic Con 2017 Report

Post by Joresky » December 12th, 2017, 9:58 am

This past weekend I attended Ace Comic Con in Hempstead, NY. I attended the show Friday and Saturday and even though there weren't a lot of names I needed at the con the ones I did need were really great names so I decided it was definitely worth going. I took off from work all day on Friday and decided to hit up the Tiffany Haddish (Girl's Trip, Keanu) book signing in NYC before I went to long island for Ace. The signing was conveniently at noon so I could easily do the signing and head over to Ace right after. My bus arrived in NYC around 12:20 and I got to the book signing around 12:45. When I got to the signing I only had to wait in line around 30 minutes until I got to meet Tiffany and she was as nice as could be. She personalized the books and took table ops with everyone. She was very cool and spoke to everyone and it felt very non rushed. After I met Tiffany I took public transportation to Ace and got there around 4:15 or so. When I arrived at the venue I saw a huge line so I went to one of the staff members and asked which line I was supposed to get into if I was 3 day general admission and he brought me to the first line where I literally walked right in. I couldn't believe this happened since I saw a long line which I was sure I had to wait in but apparently the long line was for the VIPs. I guess bullet dodged not buying the VIP ticket (which I never would have anyway). I went inside and walked around a bit. I ran into my good friend Ray and we hung out for a bit. The only celebrity I needed to meet Friday was The Undertaker and I was only getting a photo op. I got in line for my Undertaker op which was supposed to happen at 5:30 pm. They took care of VIPs first and I was in group A general admission for the Taker op. I got my photo with Undertaker and he is a huge guy. He made me look like a little kid standing next to him in the photo. He seemed personable and even shook my hand before taking the photo. I was finished by 6 pm and met up with my friend Suzanne. She drove me to my friend James house where we hung out and had dinner and I slept over at his place. We had a really fun time just hanging out. James and his son came with me to Ace on Saturday.. they were meeting Henry and Gal.

On Saturday morning we woke up and got some breakfast and then picked up our friend Jimmy. After that we headed to Ace and only had to wait in line a few minutes to get in which was nice. Probably the reason for the short line is it was around 11 am when we arrived. My Henry Cavill photo was around 1 pm and Ezra Miller photo was 1:30 pm. I got in line for my Henry photo and had to wait a while because it took him a lot of time to get through the Henry/Gal group ops. When I got up to Henry he was very nice and shook my hand. He did have facial hair for his role in Mission Impossible 6 that he is currently shooting but the photo still looks great in my opinion. I can still easily tell its Henry. Next I got in line for the Ezra Miller photo and it turned out he was running late for some reason so it took way over an hour for me to get my photo with him. I waited in line with almost the whole Marked Out crew so at least I got some quality hang time with them while I was waiting. I found out from Mr Ira that actress Elodie Yung was added to the con as a last minute replacement for Jon Bernthal who cancelled so I decided to buy a photo op for her since I didn't have her yet. She plays Elektra in Netflix Daredevil and shes also in the new movie The Hitman's Bodyguard. When I got up to Ezra he was super nice and was doing fun poses with fans. I went for a traditional pose and even though he was wearing a hat I thought this added to the photo because it was a Flash hat which made the photo look cool. After Ezra me, Ira and Dana got in line for Elodie. When I got up to her she was very cool and I got a great photo with her. I saw how amazing Gal Gadot looked in everyone's photos.. she was standing up unlike last year at Rhode Island and her hair was down. Also she was wearing this awesome red outfit and looked amazing so I was tempted to get her again but ultimately I decided not to because of the price tag ($175). There is nothing wrong with my original photo and I can't reason paying $175 to get a second photo with the same actress despite how great she looked. After this I went upstairs to Artist Alley where I scored a free photo with comic book writer Marc Guggenheim who is also the producer and creator of Arrow and Legends of Tomorrow. I then got a combo with Superman artist Brett Breeding who I have never seen at a con before. I bought a cool looking art print from him for $15 which featured Superman fighting Doomsday. He signed it at the bottom with a blue pen and took a free photo with me. After this I hung out around the dealers room until my new Italian friend Francesco and his friend Erica was finished getting their pro op with Gal Gadot. After this we went out to eat and then went to the city to score some more celebs.

We got to midtown manhattan and went to our first spot for actor Josh Pais (voice of Raphael in the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie) and Chloe Sevigny. I spotted Josh walking out and approached him for the photo. He did the photos no problem and signed my Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles DVD. He was a really nice guy. Next we spotted actress Chloe Sevigny who I had already but I got an updated photo. She seemed to be in a rush but took care of whoever asked for anything. After this we went to another spot for singer Jason Mraz who I already had. We got a great spot on the rail and after a little while Jason came out and he quickly went down the line. It was snowing and cold out but Jason was cool regardless. Me and my friends each were able to score photos no problem. At this point we left and headed back home. Overall, I had a great trip and I'm very happy I decided to go.
photohenrycavill.jpg
Me and actor Henry Cavill
photoezramiller.jpg
Me and actor Ezra Miller
photoelodieyung.jpg
Me and actress Elodie Yung
phototheundertaker.jpg
Me and WWE wrestler The Undertaker
photobrettbreeding.jpg
Me and comic book artist Brett Breeding
photomarcguggenheim.jpg
Me and artist Marc Guggenheim
phototiffanyhaddish.jpg
Me and actress/comedian Tiffany Haddish
photojoshpais.jpg
Me and actor Josh Pais
photochloesevigny.jpg
Me and actress Chloe Sevigny
photojasonmraz.jpg
Me and singer Jason Mraz
autojoshpais.jpg
Josh Pais signed DVD
autotiffanyhaddish.jpg
Tiffany Haddish signed book
autobrettbreeding.jpg
Brett Breeding signed print

WOODMO
Site Admin

Re: JOresky's Ace Comic Con 2017 Report

Post by WOODMO » December 12th, 2017, 10:04 am

As I predicted you posted none of the group photos you insisted on taking!

Great stuff Jerry and nice to see you.

Joresky

Post by Joresky » December 12th, 2017, 10:09 am

WOODMO wrote:
December 12th, 2017, 10:04 am

Should I post those in the report? Thought i was only supposed to post the photos of valid names in the reports

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » December 12th, 2017, 10:13 am

Joresky wrote:
December 12th, 2017, 10:09 am
WOODMO wrote:

Should I post those in the report? Thought i was only supposed to post the photos of valid names in the reports
You're free to, but I guess the behind the scenes is more appropriate.

crowbar
Marked Out King

Post by crowbar » December 12th, 2017, 10:16 am

This is the first report (both on Facebook and here) about ACE that complains very little about the convention. Surprising. Everything looks great.

Joresky

Post by Joresky » December 12th, 2017, 10:17 am

WOODMO wrote:
December 12th, 2017, 10:13 am
Joresky wrote:
December 12th, 2017, 10:09 am
WOODMO wrote:

You're free to, but I guess the behind the scenes is more appropriate.
Cool... i'll post them

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » December 12th, 2017, 11:13 am

Are you upset at Ezras face? U mentioned to me you were because he was making a gay face

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » December 12th, 2017, 11:19 am

Josh Pais was the costumed Raphael as well as his voice in the first TMNT film. Great photos, gotta go for Chloe myself. JL t-shirt a nice touch.

Now for the bad news. Our mutual friend Josh told me Nikki Sixx signed Friday night until 11:30PM. Yes, you read that right, 5 hours long, so you could have made it. :pained:
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

capman
Marked Out Pro

Post by capman » December 12th, 2017, 11:20 am

Greg2600 wrote:
December 12th, 2017, 11:19 am
Our mutual friend Josh told me Nikki Sixx signed Friday night until 11:30PM. Yes, you read that right, 5 hours long, so you could have made it. :pained:
and he did standing photots too!!!

oldschoolwwwf
Marked Out Master

Post by oldschoolwwwf » December 12th, 2017, 11:53 am

After seeing the Flash's face, if he made goofy faces in all of his pics, it makes me care even less that he was not there on Sunday and that I didn't get to meet him.

Rest of the report was very good. Didnt even occur to me to try to find artists alley. In hindsight I should have checked it out.

Joresky

Post by Joresky » December 12th, 2017, 12:30 pm

Greg2600 wrote:
December 12th, 2017, 11:19 am
Josh Pais was the costumed Raphael as well as his voice in the first TMNT film. Great photos, gotta go for Chloe myself. JL t-shirt a nice touch.

Now for the bad news. Our mutual friend Josh told me Nikki Sixx signed Friday night until 11:30PM. Yes, you read that right, 5 hours long, so you could have made it. :pained:
:punches: :fack:

heelorton79
Marked Out Master

Post by heelorton79 » December 12th, 2017, 6:16 pm

Nice job!