Ah Leah! Donnie Iris book signing

This is the place to post reports from signing or on the street meets
Forum rules
DO NOT post the location for on the street meets. To keep the spots from being too crowded, we don't allow locations to be posted. You may only post location details about pay meets and organized free signings.
Cozmik
Learning To Mark Out

Ah Leah! Donnie Iris book signing

Post by Cozmik » December 21st, 2017, 7:00 am

So I got the word Tuesday night, there was a writer about to release a book about Pittsburgh cultural icon rocker Donnie Iris. Donnie was lead singer of The Jaggerz who scored a number one hit in the early 70's with "The Rapper". With his band, Donnie Iris and The Cruisers he scored 7 Billboard top 100 hits in the late 70's and early 80's including "Ah, Leah!" and "Love is Like a Rock. His shows are amazing to sees. He's about to celebrate his 75th birthday with a couple shows, still rocks and looks much younger. So I found out Donnie, his musical partner Mark Avsec (he was in Wild Cherry and wrote "Play That Funky Music") and the book's author journalist D.X. Ferris would be at Jergels's, a club 5 miles from my home, doing a meet and greet and signing early copies of the book "The Story of Donnie Iris and The Cruisers” (due to be officially released this spring).

So I head out of work early and get there just before the doors open ant 4pm. Donnie was signing between 4:30 and 6:30 followed by a onstage chat about the book at 7:00. There were about 25 people ahead of me when I got in line and I would say over a hundred were in line by 4:30.

The book was not cheap but it was a thick coffee table sized book with over 450 pages and with a chance to get it signed and hopefully a photo, it was worth the $40 to meet a guy I've been a fan of for decades. As I was standing in line trying to figure out if the people behind me could operate my phone camera or I should do a selfie, a pro photographer came around and handed people cards with the url for Jergel's Photo page on Facebook saying he would be taking free photos.

So I got my book (and a small flyer card) signed by Donnie, Mark and DX, a free photo and met one of the nicest guys and one of my favorite rock singers was out of there in a half hour. The one thing is they used ball points to sign. I suppose there was a chance a sharpie could have bled through the page though so all good.

With Donnie Iris
DonnieIris.jpg
The book
DonnieIrisBookCover.jpg
The signatures
DonnieIrisBookSigned.jpg
Signed Donnie Iris 75th birthday concerts flyer
DonnieIrisFlyer.jpg

Greg2600

Re: Ah Leah! Donnie Iris book signing

Post by Greg2600 » December 21st, 2017, 10:45 am

Donnie is a cool get musically, way to go Coz!
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

mikeyicon
Marked Out Pro

Post by mikeyicon » December 21st, 2017, 11:55 am

Amazing, great experiences with legitimate fans of the artists and their work. As I'm losing interest on seeing the street meets and pro photos over and over, it's the actual fan experiences like this (plus I too enjoy Donnie Iris) and that amazing experience of the wrestling fan who got Kevin Owens to hit her wedding and a personal video from Becky Lynch and Lanza having Howard Finkel announce his wedding is the stuff that means more than just a picture and makes me smile. The picture should tell a story, otherwise what's the point? Great job and thanks for sharing.

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » December 21st, 2017, 4:03 pm

This is great!!!