Awesome Con DC 2018 - A TR Production

This is the place to post reports from signing or on the street meets
Forum rules
DO NOT post the location for on the street meets. To keep the spots from being too crowded, we don't allow locations to be posted. You may only post location details about pay meets and organized free signings.
MrTonyRuben
Marked Out Pro

Awesome Con DC 2018 - A TR Production

Post by MrTonyRuben » March 31st, 2018, 8:49 pm

Welcome to my 5th year of reporting on Awesome Con. As per usual, I try to go multiple days and spread things out since it is relatively close for me. I started off by arriving on Friday around 2 PM to pick up my badge from registration. After navigating the 3 floors of escalators, I made it down to the show floor and immediately went to the autograph area.

I started off with getting into Jeremy Bulloch’s line, but I was told almost immediately that his line was capped and he would be taking a break. To kill time before my first photo op, I went by each autograph table, to check out prices for everyone there. I saw Sean Gunn was at his table and since I’ve skipped him at other cons, now was the perfect time to meet him. Sean was pretty cool and he gladly used the paint pen I provided, marking the first time I’ve ever used them and I was happy with the result. Finished out with the combo and was off to the photo area.

ImageImage

The Boy Meets World group photo was my first pro op of the day. Being it was Friday, everything seemed to be moving relatively easily. Photo started on time and each guy seemed really nice. Got my pic and headed back to the autograph area.

Went back to Jeremy Bulloch’s line and he was at his table but the line was pretty long, mostly due to his age/condition, him taking his time with his signature and people getting multiple items signed. Waited about an hour before I got up to the front of the line. I spoke with the handler and his wife who were helping him out and they were very sweet. After my item was signed, Jeremy turned around and greeted me; He stands while he does his autographs. Nice little bonus to find out that a table photo is included if you want one and I took advantage of it.

ImageImage

My final item on the agenda was getting a pro op with The New Day. People in line had me cracking up as a “New Day Rocks” chant broke out, with one guest going up and down the line playing along with a trombone! Once I got closer to the curtains, I could see that all of The New Day were dressed up in Black Panther cosplay! Was pretty awesome, pun intended. I shook hands with each of them, Xavier complimented my shirt, took the photo and I was off to take the metro train home.

Saturday I arrived around 9 AM with a friend and we waited in the VIP line to enter the con at 9:30. Once down to the floor I head off to Charisma Carpenter’s table. She was supposed to arrive at 10. In hindsight, I should have gotten in to Tom Welling’s line. He arrived at 10 AM, Charisma was nowhere in sight. I had to leave her line to get my VIP photo with John Boyega, but before I left, I asked the line attendant if they could get me back in when I come back and they said yes.

So I head to the pro op area, which was my only one for the day, and lined up with my friend, who was splitting the photo. Once in line, we find out that there are no props to be used in the picture room and everyone had to go through a metal detector. Line started to move 5 minutes after 11. Odd thing was seeing John Boyega seated for the photo. He was very nice though, shook hands with us and took a decent photo. Come to find out later though that John was standing for the rest of his photo ops! Ugh...won't complain TOO much.

I went back to Charisma’s line; she finally had arrived. The line attendant got me to the front of the line. Got 2 autographs from her; one being the Buffy Shirt I’m still continuing, which she liked but did complain that they had others pictured who weren’t apart of “The Scooby Gang” and she wasn't, which I agreed. After she signed, she insisted on taking the photo herself. She had me open up my instagram, then she took my phone, found her favorite filter and took a nice selfie.

ImageImageImage

Next up was John Boyega’s autograph. His line was pretty much nothing and that was due to his price. I ended up having Asian Dave join me and we shot the shit for a few before the line started to move. Boyega’s area also had rules of no bags to be brought into the autograph area, which I almost did by not paying attention, and it also had the metal detector there. Once inside, it moved quickly. John again was very nice and I added his signature to a Force Awakens poster I ordered, that had already been signed by Daisy Ridley.

Image Image

Now here’s where things got a little wacky. I had 3 more people to get (Tom Welling, Michael Rosenbaum & Joonas Suotamo), but their lines were pretty substantial and they all ended up getting capped. Ran into CM, Greg, DJ & Class during this mess. Luckily with help from a friend and other MO members, several spots were saved while the lines weren’t moving. Ultimately the next get for me was a photo with Michael Rosenbaum. I previously got an autograph from him at my first con ever, but never got the photo. That was taken care of and I was happy with the result.

I headed to the line of the new Chewbacca, Joonas Suotamo, to add him to my Force Awakens poster. Joonas Suotamo seemed cool, though overtly friendly and a bit corny. He signed the poster and took a photo, which I gotta thank Greg again for helping me get it.

ImageImage

Finally, it was back to Tom Welling’s line. A bit of wait, but I’ll spare all the details of that. Tom seemed very energized and enthusiastic. From his demeanor, I think he’ll be doing more conventions since he seemed to be genuinely having a good time. Got my combo and was finished with all my wants. Stayed a little bit to check out some of the vendors with my friend and eventually ran into my brother and his family who were there just to meet John Boyega. Said my goodbyes and hopped on the metro to go home.

ImageImage

Another Awesome Con in the books; glad to see all the Marked Out members in DC! I hope you all enjoy the report and I’ll see you all next time.

WOODMO
Site Admin

Re: Awesome Con DC 2018 - A TR Production

Post by WOODMO » March 31st, 2018, 9:16 pm

AWESOME stuff man!!

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » March 31st, 2018, 11:48 pm

Really cool results this weekend, and nice to chat/hang again in yet another messy con. The line capping was a bit much.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » March 31st, 2018, 11:49 pm

Damn from what you say I'm guessing they lost money on John.

I'm guessing he had no table ops?
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets
:hcit:
View my celebrity report Blog http://celebmeets.blogspot.com/

Btvsp3
Full Fledged Mark

Post by Btvsp3 » April 1st, 2018, 12:06 am

The Charisma Instagram thing was ridiculous. I’m not thrilled with how the photo came out but she liked how she looked and that’s all that mattered.

Great shots though!
Follow me on Instagram: StevenLesser

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » April 1st, 2018, 3:13 am

I guess in the case of Charisma it's a rare case where the pro op trumps the table op. Though she once did a street pic for me no issue (after I had paid for a pro op at WW!)

Regarding New Day, that IMO is how pro ops should be. They should give you something extra over table ops. Also, had it been (say) Cress Williams wearing these outfits I would have said completely invalid. But because the New Day are known to be goofy the photo op fits their character, hence it is valid.
Last edited by class316 on April 1st, 2018, 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets
:hcit:
View my celebrity report Blog http://celebmeets.blogspot.com/

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » April 1st, 2018, 11:03 am

What if you told her you didn't have Instagram? She took the photo within the App, or just insisted on selecting her own filter after the fact?

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » April 1st, 2018, 11:06 am

WOODMO wrote:
April 1st, 2018, 11:03 am
What if you told her you didn't have Instagram? She took the photo within the App, or just insisted on selecting her own filter after the fact?
She played around with filters on the phone regardless. All phones have them.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » April 1st, 2018, 11:10 am

Greg2600 wrote:
April 1st, 2018, 11:06 am
WOODMO wrote:
Curtis did the same thing at Bookends. The photos with CC look fine, so it's no big deal, but given you're paying for the photo she shouldn't have so much control over how you take it. Curtis was at least, sort of doing you a favor, by taking a photo at a book signing.

Btvsp3
Full Fledged Mark

Post by Btvsp3 » April 1st, 2018, 12:37 pm

WOODMO wrote:
April 1st, 2018, 11:10 am
Greg2600 wrote:
April 1st, 2018, 11:06 am
WOODMO wrote:
Curtis did the same thing at Bookends. The photos with CC look fine, so it's no big deal, but given you're paying for the photo she shouldn't have so much control over how you take it. Curtis was at least, sort of doing you a favor, by taking a photo at a book signing.
I saw her take multiple shots with some people and deleting them until she liked how she looked. We were told by her handler to open Instagram and then hand Charisma the phone. She told me because she likes a certain filter that “smooths everything out”.
Follow me on Instagram: StevenLesser

MrTonyRuben
Marked Out Pro

Post by MrTonyRuben » April 1st, 2018, 1:13 pm

WOODMO wrote:
March 31st, 2018, 9:16 pm
AWESOME stuff man!!
Thanks, dude!
Greg2600 wrote:
March 31st, 2018, 11:48 pm
Really cool results this weekend, and nice to chat/hang again in yet another messy con. The line capping was a bit much.
Likewise, Greg! I agree about the line caps, but I know you suffered more from those than I did.
class316 wrote:
March 31st, 2018, 11:49 pm
Damn from what you say I'm guessing they lost money on John.

I'm guessing he had no table ops?
No table ops. I'm certain they lost money on him, though I do know a bunch of fan groups and dealers were in line getting multiple items signed. I saw one person with at least 20 items. Probably the only thing that could lessen the blow for the con.
Btvsp3 wrote:
April 1st, 2018, 12:06 am
The Charisma Instagram thing was ridiculous. I’m not thrilled with how the photo came out but she liked how she looked and that’s all that mattered.

Great shots though!
Thanks, bud!

Personally, I'm not bothered by the Charisma Instagram filter pic because I sure as hell can't take a good selfie to save my life and it looks good to me.

djknightrida
Marked Out Master

Post by djknightrida » April 2nd, 2018, 7:52 am

Good seeing you as always. Thanks for the Bulloch free op tip do I didn’t have to get the pro. Looks like late April next year
2017 Most Unique Photo Winner

:dj: