WOODMO's "Big NYC Week" Lasts 1 Day

This is the place to post reports from signing or on the street meets
Forum rules
DO NOT post the location for on the street meets. To keep the spots from being too crowded, we don't allow locations to be posted. You may only post location details about pay meets and organized free signings.
WOODMO
Site Admin

WOODMO's "Big NYC Week" Lasts 1 Day

Post by WOODMO » May 17th, 2018, 2:10 pm

While most of my contemporaries have been running in the streets all week, I did my usual one day affair and called it a day, err week. I always like to get out there one day to cover the TV networks, and NBC/FOX seem to notoriously be two of my favorites.

I drove in a bit later than some years, reached my usual block in Queens and see spots for days. I figure well, great for me, the day is off to a good start. I park for free, walk to the subway, and discover a sign saying service at this station is suspended. Of course, too good to be true! I then go back to my car, book a garage in Manhattan for $25 and cross the free bridge. I made good time across town and park, and proceed to walk to the spot which was on the same block as my garage.

The weather was pretty shitty, the worst I've had on one of these weeks. Cold, damp, windy, just not a ton of fun to be out in. Coincidentally, who do I spot? Weatherman Al Roker, barreling down the block towards me. Most people who would care to have him, already do. He has worked in NYC forever, but somehow I never ran into the guy. Not a tremendous want by any means, but a national fixture and I gladly took it. Al was a bit weird, but he still kindly took the photo.

A little while longer and I see Sean Teale from The Gifted. Frankly, I didn't remember if I had him or not so I grabbed one. Turned out I had gotten him last year, and I mixed him and Blair up as to the one I needed. No big deal, Sean was as nice as he was last year.

Next I spot Rachelle Lefevre, an actress I've liked in small parts over the years and someone who is leading a new show on FOX. Rachelle was super nice and pretty much took care of everyone. She even said to people who kept asking "you don't have to ask, it's yes".

The next name we spot is Riley Smith, who had a short stint on Nashville, a favorite of mine. He has also lead a few failed shows the past few years on CW. Riley was very cool.

Next two names are Skyler Samuels and Natalie Alyn Lynd. I had Lynd twice, so I didn't bother, but she was much less patient than she was last year.

After this I spot Oliver Stark. I am not too familiar with him, but when in Rome.

Then Kenneth Choi emerges. I know him most from SOA and The People vs OJ Simpson. Choi said he was in a rush but got pressured into pretty much doing them all.

Finally True Blood and The Gifted star Stephen Moyer shows up and literally takes care of every single person. He was outside 3-4 minutes taking photos. I had him already but since I am a fan of the guy I grabbed another.

At this point I vacate this spot with :perplexed: :dj: and we go by a party location. I end up chatting with a :master: but it looked really crowded and CM and I decided to grab a Lyft to meet up with :greg:

Upon arriving at this next spot, the rain resumes, but luckily I was under the awning on the rail. The first name we spot is singer NE-YO, who much like Al Roker is always in NYC and I was one of the few to never get him. Very nice guy who took care of everyone.

Then we see Chris Sullivan from This Is Us. Now the show is my favorite currently on TV. That includes network, cable or premium, just my overall current favorite show, so I was getting photos with whoever I saw from this cast whether I had them or not. Sullivan I had from last year, but I like the way this photo looks better.

Next was Simon Cowell, who for a time was a massive name in pop culture, now not as much, but still pretty prominent. I have always enjoyed his sound bites and persona, even though I never watched any of the shows he hosted. Again, a name I gladly took but would have never gone much out of my way to obtain.

After this we spot Paul Adelstein from Prison Break. Nice guy who took pretty much all the photos.

Next up was Sarah Shahi. I had Sarah already from NYCC but it was a behind the table selfie, so I figured an upgrade was a no brainer. She was super nice, actually getting off the phone to take photos with fans.

After this we spot a pretty big TV want for me, LaRoyce Hawkins from Chicago PD. In terms of enjoyable television, after This Is Us probably comes the collective Chicago universe captained by Dick Wolf. These are in no way the best shows or even close to it, but I enjoy them and rush to watch it weekly quicker than most others. Hawkins never comes to NY, in fact a France convention got many of the Chicago mainstays to skip this week and give us some fresh names.

Now in a fratutious turn of events, I called a Lyft to take me back to my car as I was ready to call it a night. The car arrives, and I walk towards it, only for the car to speed away from me. Some NYC collectors I know had a good laugh, I then proceed to text and call which he ignores. Luckily I got my charges reversed, but this delay made me give the spot more time and I was glad it happened.

More This Is Us people were arriving. I first spot Chrissy Metz exiting the spot. Now I had her last year, but again as my favorite show I was getting anyone I saw. Chrissy was very nice.

Next was Susan Kelechi Brown and TV husband Sterling K. Brown. In hindsight, the group op was totally doable and I should have went for it, but oh well. I got Susan, a first time meet and only other main name I lacked besides Mandy Moore. I also got Sterling again because he is my absolute favorite actor on television right now.

After this we walk back to the other spot, but check another spot and bump into The Orville cast Scott Grimes and Penny Johnson Jerald. Both very nice, and also from American Dad and 24 respectively.

As I am walking back to the car I spot Stephen A Smith, possibly the biggest sports talk personality going right now. He was with his family and I called out to him, and he told me to wait a minute, and once he saw his family into the car he walked over to me and took the photo.

All in all a day well spent. Great to see and spend time with Greg, Class, Jerry, DJ, CM, etc.

ICW
Marked Out Master

Re: WOODMO's "Big NYC Week" Lasts 1 Day

Post by ICW » May 17th, 2018, 8:09 pm

Tons of great names -- Simon Cowell looks a bit different.

How was Al Roker weird?
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

adelta13
Marked Out Pro

Post by adelta13 » May 17th, 2018, 10:31 pm

Nice Job on Oliver Stark!!! He plays in 9-1-1 !

Did you not see Marina Squerciati from PD?

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » May 17th, 2018, 10:38 pm

ICW wrote:
May 17th, 2018, 8:09 pm
Tons of great names -- Simon Cowell looks a bit different.

How was Al Roker weird?
Roker was like frantically rushing down the street, I asked him for a photo and he sort of non verbally agreed, but then didn't really stop moving to even take it. I then said "Mr Roker, it didn't take" and then he stopped and did it. Now maybe he was genuinely in a rush, but saying that would have seemed a lot less strange than the frantic mime thing he did. In any case, he owed me nothing and hooked me up, so I have no complaints.

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » May 17th, 2018, 10:39 pm

adelta13 wrote:
May 17th, 2018, 10:31 pm
Nice Job on Oliver Stark!!! He plays in 9-1-1 !

Did you not see Marina Squerciati from PD?
I missed Marina unfortunately.

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » May 18th, 2018, 1:17 am

Nice hanging with ya. I legit have no recollection of what time we parted company, or where I went. It was THAT kind of day.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

Raza01
Marking Out Amateur

Post by Raza01 » May 18th, 2018, 6:11 am

Pretty good first day. I prob have equal amount of photos in all 4 days lmfao. Was looking forward to catching up, hopefully soon!

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » May 18th, 2018, 8:02 am

Not a bad haul at allnfor one day. Well done

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » May 18th, 2018, 11:30 am

Thanks all. This event is really a rackfest for people who want all repeats. I passed up at least 6 or 7 people doing photos right in front of me, just because I felt zero need to get another or felt my first photo was perfect.

djknightrida
Marked Out Master

Post by djknightrida » May 23rd, 2018, 8:41 am

Good to bury the hatchet. Solid list of names for you although I think you’d of done better stating withbme than CM.
2017 Most Unique Photo Winner

:dj:

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » May 27th, 2018, 11:29 am

djknightrida wrote:
May 23rd, 2018, 8:41 am
Good to bury the hatchet. Solid list of names for you although I think you’d of done better stating withbme than CM.
Agreed man. As for doing better, I think objectively speaking it's true, although Susan from This Is Us was my biggie for the entire network (along with Mandy Moore who I never got), and I don't think she did it where I was with you, so despite missing some big ones there it may have worked out better for me.

djknightrida
Marked Out Master

Post by djknightrida » May 28th, 2018, 9:32 pm

WOODMO wrote:
May 27th, 2018, 11:29 am

Agreed man. As for doing better, I think objectively speaking it's true, although Susan from This Is Us was my biggie for the entire network (along with Mandy Moore who I never got), and I don't think she did it where I was with you, so despite missing some big ones there it may have worked out better for me.
Ah. Good ol Susan who CM still didn’t get.

You would have had Marina though. She repeatedly snuck in to your spot.
2017 Most Unique Photo Winner

:dj:

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » May 29th, 2018, 10:42 am

djknightrida wrote:
May 28th, 2018, 9:32 pm
WOODMO wrote:
May 27th, 2018, 11:29 am

Ah. Good ol Susan who CM still didn’t get.

You would have had Marina though. She repeatedly snuck in to your spot.
Stupid Marina! Lol yeah I would have liked her but Susan and This Is Us trump Marina and PD for me. In an ideal world though I get both, and timing wise I actually could have done your spot and made it back by Susan time where I was. But I doubt I would've bothered.

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » June 1st, 2018, 1:20 pm

WOODMO wrote:
May 17th, 2018, 2:10 pm
I drove in a bit later than some years, reached my usual block in Queens and see spots for days. I figure well, great for me, the day is off to a good start. I park for free, walk to the subway, and discover a sign saying service at this station is suspended. Of course, too good to be true! I then go back to my car, book a garage in Manhattan for $25 and cross the free bridge. I made good time across town and park, and proceed to walk to the spot which was on the same block as my garage.
You paid $25 to park on a day when parking in the city is plentiful. Rookie!
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets
:hcit:
View my celebrity report Blog http://celebmeets.blogspot.com/

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » June 1st, 2018, 1:29 pm

class316 wrote:
June 1st, 2018, 1:20 pm
WOODMO wrote:
May 17th, 2018, 2:10 pm
You paid $25 to park on a day when parking in the city is plentiful. Rookie!
On a day with torrential rain I will pay $25 every day of the week to park on the same block I have to be on. Last year I actually drove around for 30 mins trying to find parking and I saw nothing, so I regret nothing.