Con hopping in Philly, Columbus and Altoona

This is the place to post reports from in-person meets!
Forum rules
DO NOT post the location for on the street meets. To keep the spots from being too crowded, we don't allow locations to be posted. You may only post location details about pay meets and organized free signings.
Cozmik
Full Fledged Mark

Con hopping in Philly, Columbus and Altoona

Post by Cozmik »

So a quick round up of 3 cons I attended in the last month. I'm going to skip posting the autographed 8x10's and stick to pro and table photos and some Funko Pops that I think look pretty cool.

Wizard World Philadelphia

Friday evening I got a Jason Momoa photo op and ran down to join a line going into a smaller meeting room on the lower floor where Jason was signing after the convention floor closed at 7pm. I had him sign an Aquaman Funko Pop and was done for the night.
jason_momoa.JPG
jason_momoa.JPG (32.57 KiB) Viewed 2763 times
aquaman_funko_pop.jpg
aquaman_funko_pop.jpg (37.32 KiB) Viewed 2763 times
Saturday went pretty quickly due to smaller crowds than I expected and that Wizard World VIP's now can cut to the front of all autograph lines except in front those with VIP passes specific to that celebrity. The only huge lines to be seen were for Jason Momoa and Sebastian Stan who I didn't need.
So I got my autographs and photo-ops with Elijah Wood, Sean Bean and Natalie Dormer, a table photo with Jewel Staite and had Funko Pops signed by Woods, Bean and Billy Boyd. Said hello to Joresky and was done early afternoon.
elijah_wood.jpg
elijah_wood.jpg (20.3 KiB) Viewed 2763 times
elijah_wood_funko_pop.jpg
elijah_wood_funko_pop.jpg (39.52 KiB) Viewed 2763 times
sean_bean.jpg
sean_bean.jpg (21.88 KiB) Viewed 2763 times
ned_stark_funko_pop.jpg
ned_stark_funko_pop.jpg (39.79 KiB) Viewed 2763 times
natalie_dormer.jpg
natalie_dormer.jpg (20.6 KiB) Viewed 2763 times
jewel_staite.JPG
jewel_staite.JPG (47.34 KiB) Viewed 2763 times
billy_boyd_funko_pop.jpg
billy_boyd_funko_pop.jpg (37.95 KiB) Viewed 2763 times
Sunday I just needed Jon Bernthal who I got a selfie with had him sign a Funko Pop
jon_bernthal.JPG
jon_bernthal.JPG (35.27 KiB) Viewed 2763 times
punisher_funko_pop.jpg
punisher_funko_pop.jpg (35.41 KiB) Viewed 2763 times
Wizard World Columbus (a couple weeks later)

I had planned on skipping Columbus because everyone they announced that I was interested in was going to be in Philly but then they added Sean Maher one of the last 2 members of the Firefly cast I needed (now if only Gina Torres would just get somewhere close to me). So I drove over from Pittsburgh Saturday, got my autograph and selfie with Maher, grabbed the same plus a Funko Pop from Mike Colter and since I already had an autograph from Jon Cusack I grabbed a photo-op with him and headed home.
sean_maher.jpg
sean_maher.jpg (64.92 KiB) Viewed 2763 times
mike_colter.jpg
mike_colter.jpg (60.93 KiB) Viewed 2763 times
luke_cage_funko_pop.jpg
luke_cage_funko_pop.jpg (35.01 KiB) Viewed 2763 times
john_cusack.jpg
john_cusack.jpg (23.83 KiB) Viewed 2763 times
Sci-fi Valley Con, Altoona

The next morning I decided a 2 hour drive to Altoona would be worth the effort to pick up autographs from a couple people who had me on the fence about going there for months. First, Jim Beaver from Supernatural, Justified and 2 of the best televison series ever: Breaking Bad and Deadwood. I got the pro photo-op and autograph from him and then had one of the best interactions with an actor I was a fan of ever.
jim_beaver.JPG
jim_beaver.JPG (28.54 KiB) Viewed 2763 times
Tracie Thoms was in Tarentino's Dead Proof, Rent and was a guest star on many TV shows. I first became aware of her from the short-lived series Wonderfalls. I bought the DVD set of its only season and binge watched it (thats how we did it before Netflix) and totally loved it and Tracie was fantastic as the main character's snarky best friend. So I picked up a copy of the only 8x10 from Wonderfalls she had and she was so excited saying I was only the second person that weekend who chose the Wonderfalls photo and she was going to give me a hug because of it. So we chatted a bit and I got my autograph, selfie and a hug from someone who may not be well-known but who I am a huge fan of.
tracie_thoms.JPG
tracie_thoms.JPG (58.75 KiB) Viewed 2763 times
Greg2600
Site Admin

Re: Con hopping in Philly, Columbus and Altoona

Post by Greg2600 »

So many favorites of mine, Coz! Normally I scoff at the Funko's, but if signed neatly in a con-setting they do look nice.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast
Cozmik
Full Fledged Mark

Post by Cozmik »

Greg2600 wrote: June 16th, 2018, 6:06 pm So many favorites of mine, Coz! Normally I scoff at the Funko's, but if signed neatly in a con-setting they do look nice.
I think I've figured it out.The yellow paint pen shows up better than any color. Though other colors work where it makes sense. I love Bernthal's in white with the Punisher skull.
class316
Marked Out God

Post by class316 »

ugh, that Cusack shot is better than most of ours!
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets
WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO »

Some excellent stuff! The Cusack is the best I’ve seen