Darth Vadar is Still Crazy for Some Kind of Wonderful Easy Rider

This is the place to post reports from in-person meets!
Forum rules
DO NOT post the location for on the street meets. To keep the spots from being too crowded, we don't allow locations to be posted. You may only post location details about pay meets and organized free signings.
Greg2600
Site Admin

Darth Vadar is Still Crazy for Some Kind of Wonderful Easy Rider

Post by Greg2600 »

Another week, and some great successes and some continued fails. Began by trying yet again for Christopher Plummer. This time, there were not that many people waiting. He arrived, and started signing, and did a couple photos, but then stopped and went inside. I got zilch, and then had to endure two lunatics yelling at each other for scaring him off. They were both at fault. One in particular, felt the need to pester him 16 times while he’s signing for a photo. Suffice to say, I was not pleased. Leaving, Plummer did nothing, and that was that.
:melopain:

I wasn’t staying all day, so I tried a popular spot to see who was there. Several decent names had come and gone already, but I found out Holly Hunter and Alicia Silverstone, yes her again, were inside. Holly I saw a couple times a few years ago, but she was in a huge rush, and I didn’t bother her. She exited and was nice as can be here, and I got the photo. She was terrific in Raising Arizona, Copycat, and Thirteen. Alicia left, did two selfies with women, and dove into the car.

Holly

I tried a few spots for Mario Lopez, but didn’t see him. However, I got lucky, as Ming-Na Wen came out of one of them 2 minutes after I got there. She took the photo, despite seeming to be half asleep. Afterwards, I went on home as I had a softball game that night.

Ming

After the game, I of course find out where Plummer is, in addition to Peter Fonda, Vera Farmiga, and more. I swung by, but it seemed like everyone was long gone. Moving on, I went for another low key event featuring Dana Delany and Amanda Plummer. Yes, you read that right, the daughter of Christopher Plummer! Amanda played the crazy sister to Nancy Travis in the Mike Myers film “So I Married An Axe Murderer,” which is still one of my favorite comedies ever. Dana though, for me, was the star of China Beach, back in the late 80’s, a Vietnam war series I watched along with Tour of Duty. She was also in Tombstone, and has voiced Lois Lane since the mid 90’s.

I get there, and what’s funny is, I wasn’t even going to check the front doors. However, based on where I parked, I wound up walking by, and see :heelorton: and his friend were waiting there! We chat a bit, and decide to go around the corner. Good thing we did as that’s where the actors wound up leaving from. The first one I didn’t care about, but then Amanda left. We let her talk to friends first for awhile, but she was incredibly sweet. Signed whatever people had, and took photos. I got her on Axe Murderer of course! Before too long, Dana also leaves, and I got and stop her, and she’s very kind as well. She’s 62 but looks 42, what beauty.

Amanda

Dana

So the BIG name inside we gather is James Earl Jones. He’s old, frail, and moves very slowly. We know this, and we know he doesn’t sign on the street either. Which is probably why there were just a couple graphers there besides us. In any event, Jones begins the slow walk down the steps, with another woman with a cane literally yelling for him to hurry up! He’s asked for the photo, but says NOOOO quite loudly. Don’t ask me how or why, but he then relented, and I hear, “well have you got the camera?” Within seconds we all had photos! Yeah, yeah, I know, Darth Vader. Firstly, Jones is a stage icon. Secondly, for me, he’s Alex Haley in the original Roots, Conan, Field of Dreams, Coming to America, The Sandlot, The Lion King, and the early Jack Ryan movies. What an end to the night!

:holy:

The following day I was hoping to meet stars of the new comedy TAG. Well, apparently neither I nor they were IT, because it was bust city. They did almost nothing at a typical madhouse, with Ed Helms just signing on the way out. I hung around for celebrities including Vera Farmiga and Peter Fonda that were appearing later. They did absolutely nothing both way in and out. Just an awful day thus far. My group of misfits moved uptown, to once again try for Helms. There Michael K. Williams showed up early, and did for all. I took someones op, since I had him already. I also got a photo with comedian Tom Papa, who I’ve listened to on radio shows for years, and was in a fav movie of mine, The Informant. Helms though totally ignored us both going in and out! This was incredulous, as there were literally FIVE people waiting both times. They said he was “late.” So we knew about a screening for the movie happening, but we had assumed the actors would just show up at the end to do a talk like normal. Well, wrong we were, as they arrived before, did an introduction, and left! People got combos as they left.

Papa

Here’s where the day got really interesting/loony. So I hopped on the subway, and I’m heading far downtown to check on a TV filming set, before going home. I exit down on West 4th Street, and walk well over to Christopher and Greenwich, when I get a text. A friend saw a live feed for a show that Peter Fonda was presently doing! Bad news was that it was back up in midtown, literally blocks from where I had just been. It’s now 7:20pm, and we’re not sure how long Fonda will even be there. So I speed walk/jog back to the train station, and hop on the subway yet again. I get off at Bryant Park, and start RUNNING, making it to the building around 7:50pm. Another friend joins me, who happened to be much closer. Finally, Peter walks out, and is super cool, signs for him, and takes photos with the both of us!

:score:

Fonda

On another outing, I tried for some folks, but found out one show was completely pretaped, so that was a waste. I did manage to get Howie Mandel finally, while others stared at Natalie Portman, who left with barely a wave. Later on I met up with a few friends for a spot that Lea Thompson, and one of her acting daughters, Maddie Deutch, were due. I have Lea, so it was just for Maddie and hoping to see Lea’s hubby, Howard Deutch. He directed The Great Outdoors, one of my favorite comedies, as well as Some Kind of Wonderful, where he met Lea. Sure enough Lea and Howard walk up, though they first start doing all kinds of cell phone video for Lea’s social media. Both are super nice. Maddie arrives late, so we have to wait for exit, and after waiting out all her friends, I grab the selfie and run. I head nearby to a spot for actor Stephen Rea, who starred in my campy fav Still Crazy, as well as the first season of Counterpart, a terrific show. Stephen was about to leave, but then his costars opt to head into a bar. So I wait another 30 minutes, and this time he’s RUNNING out the door. He seemed to be genuinely in a hurry, but paused to sign my DVD and take a selfie.

Mandel

Deutch

Thompson

Maddie

Stephen

The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast
WOODMO
Site Admin

Re: Darth Vadar is Still Crazy for Some Kind of Wonderful Easy Rider

Post by WOODMO »

Great JEJ! I finagled a valid shot but you don’t see many stop and pose from him.
djknightrida
Marked Out Master

Post by djknightrida »

So many great names. Fonda, Plummer, JEJ. What a haul
2017 Most Unique Photo Winner

:dj:
Joresky

Post by Joresky »

Wow great haul!! Very impressive scoring the legendary James Earl Jones :like:
class316
Marked Out God

Post by class316 »

Wow shocked JEJ stopped
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets
AndrewS23
Marking Out Amateur

Post by AndrewS23 »

When you said James Earl Jones said "NOO" loudly, my first thought was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s
ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW »

Terrific stuff! JEJ is an icon.
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/