Friday Night MonsterMania Report

This is the place to post reports from signing or on the street meets
Forum rules
DO NOT post the location for on the street meets. To keep the spots from being too crowded, we don't allow locations to be posted. You may only post location details about pay meets and organized free signings.
AJLe
Marked Out Master

Friday Night MonsterMania Report

Post by AJLe » August 17th, 2018, 10:26 pm

Left work early to head down to Cherry Hill for MonsterMania. After the total disaster the last show, I don't plan on ever going back on a Saturday unless it's absolutely necessary to get a major want. First thing I noticed was that the new scannable wristbands don't really accomplish much. When I first bought my wristband, I got scanned right in on the first shot, and went down to the Riverside room to get my top want, Lisa Zane from Freddy's Dead. The doors had recently opened, so nobody other than the big names, or people not yet at their tables, had any significant lines, so I basically only had to wait behind one other fan to get my Freddy's Dead poster signed. Her table was at a crappy cramped location in the corner, where there wasn't really space for her to come out from behind the table, but she basically would sit on her table to get next to you for the photo while her handler took it, so it actually came out better than the typical "lean in" shot. And she wasn't charging extra for the photos, so I was more than happy with it. Her signature was the sixth on my Freddy's Dead poster.

Then I went back out to the side room by the entrance where John Milius would be. They had to scan me again to get into that room, and it took them 8-10 tries to get it to scan, and two different scan readers. And this was with no pressure and basically only me waiting to be scanned. My guess would be that Saturday either turns into a TOTAL cluster-F, or they abandon the scanning early on. If it took them 8 tries to scan me with no line behind me, there's no way this will be a viable system at noon on Saturday when that whole lobby is packed with people coming and going. And that's the other problem - they ONLY scanned you going in, not out, so there is no way they have any idea how many people are in any given area at any time. At best, they can get a total number of unique wristbands at the show, but they have no way of knowing how many people are still there versus those who finished up and left. IMO, way too much hassle than any sort of benefit. The only upside (for the con, not the fan) is that the staffer has to actually look close at the wristbands, so it'll be harder for people to cut & tape shared wristbands, but I didn't feel the new system did anything to prevent overcrowding. I'm sure they capped tickets and sold less wristbands than last time, but they could have done the same with "normal" non-scannable wristbands.

Anyway, I finally got in to see John Milius, and in fact I was the first person he signed for. Unfortunately, Mr. Milius had suffered a stroke several years ago, so he was somewhat limited. His handler had to explain everything to him (which pen to grab, where to sign, etc.), and even had to hold the poster while he signed it. And his signature was basically his initials, which while not ideal, I've gotten worse sigs from healthier, younger guests, so I got the best that he was able to offer, given his physical limitations. He was very nice, but it was sad to see a man who had been so vocal and talented in his career be so stricken by his health issues. I got him on a Dirty Harry mini-poster than I already got Andrew Robinson on, so I basically "just" have to get Eastwood on it to call it pretty much done, lol.

But all in all, I got two good wants, and I was back on the road home within a half hour of getting there, so everything worked out in the end.

Freddy's Dead poster

Lisa Zane

Dirty Harry poster

John Milius

Greg2600

Re: Friday Night MonsterMania Report

Post by Greg2600 » August 17th, 2018, 10:33 pm

Eeeessshhhhh, hate to say it AJ, but I got a much longer one on my Conan 8x10, probably not much later than you. That being said, he was one of many who contributed to Dirty Harry's script. Maybe he's just not a fan of it? When he saw the Conan, he sounded pretty excited.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » August 17th, 2018, 10:47 pm

Having a family member who've suffered from strokes, it was probably more of him going through some "good moments" and "bad moments" with his motor skills throughout the day. When I met him (and I don't say this to be in any way insulting or disrespectful), if half of his sig had gone off the poster and onto the table, I'm not sure he would have realized it. The next guy in line could have gotten a perfect sig and gotten a five minute conversation - sometimes the mind is like that after a stroke.

It's obviously real, and I just can't get upset at a person because they couldn't have a consistently prettier autograph after having a stroke. I'm totally fine with it.

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » August 17th, 2018, 10:49 pm

Yes, 100% concur, and yes, so have I. He did seem very happy to be there though, which I can't say the same for some fully functioning actors on hand....

At first I wondered if he had been right-handed and was not stuck with the left, but appears he was always left-handed.

The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

Btvsp3
Full Fledged Mark

Post by Btvsp3 » August 17th, 2018, 11:30 pm

The wristbands sound like a shit show. About what I expected. At least I’m skipping Saturday this time around. Pics look great!
Follow me on Instagram: StevenLesser

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » August 18th, 2018, 9:22 pm

Honestly AJLe I'm shocked you would start a Dirty Harry project.
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets
:hcit:
View my celebrity report Blog http://celebmeets.blogspot.com/

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » August 19th, 2018, 9:38 am

class316 wrote:
August 18th, 2018, 9:22 pm
Honestly AJLe I'm shocked you would start a Dirty Harry project.

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » August 19th, 2018, 11:19 am

Those posters look great!

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » August 19th, 2018, 11:21 am

Great stuff, man! You get great 'graphs. Wristband system sounds rough
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/