Greg's Monster Mania XL Report

This is the place to post reports from signing or on the street meets
Forum rules
DO NOT post the location for on the street meets. To keep the spots from being too crowded, we don't allow locations to be posted. You may only post location details about pay meets and organized free signings.
Greg2600

Greg's Monster Mania XL Report

Post by Greg2600 » August 23rd, 2018, 11:40 am

Yours truly, after a one show absence, returned to Cherry Hill’s Monster Mania, on Friday night. I had three primary wants, Pauly Shore of Encino Man and Bio-Dome, Billy Zane of The Phantom, Memphis Belle, Dead Calm, and Survival Island, and Henry Thomas aka Elliott from E.T. Henry obviously being the number one, as E.T. was the first movie I saw in a theater. He also starred in Cloak & Dagger, a goofy spy movie with Dabney Coleman, but having a video game theme. As an adult, he played a good role in Gangs of New York. I picked some prints up for this and the MAB show the next day, ran some errands, and got on the road. The NJ Turnpike was backed up twice, and it took me over two hours to get there. I parked on a side street and walked in, where Class had already procured my wristband. While there I chatted with current and former board members and waited in several short lines. I was out of there in 90 minutes, a record for me. The prices across the board were pretty high, too high, for several guests. Carl Weathers and Pauly Shore for sure, overcharging, so no wonder their lines were empty.

First Class and I met John Milius, screenwriter of Apocalypse Now and director of Conan the Barbarian. He was a $60 combo, and I brought a shot from the movie where he’s director Arnold. Sadly Mr. Milius had a stroke, so his penmanship and general communication is not well. He did seem to be happy to be there though. Following him, I waited in line to finally get a free op with Sid Haig, horror icon. Got it and moved over to Bill Moseley, who I also never got, though he was $20 bucks for it. Out I went, and over to the big tent room.

Given that he was leaving early, I went to Pauly Shore first. Only got the photo, and he did them where you sat in front of my on a chair, which was unique. I asked if he was taking his shades off, which caused him to make a face. Chatted about some things, but he guy was just not into it. Next I moved to Billy Zane, who kept pausing to go say hi to other actors, or have these long conversation with his booker, which made no sense. I had him sign my Memphis Belle piece I’m foolishly starting, and got the photo. $80 for the combo was just plain ridiculous though.

Last one I got in that room was of course, Henry Thomas. He was quiet, but very nice. I asked him for some remembrance of Cloak and Dagger, but he didn’t have much, ha ha. In any event, awesome to finally meet him. Would be great to complete the cast (photo wise) with Peter Coyote but I’ve heard he’s mostly retired. That was a $60 combo. Before leaving, I decided to check on Eugene Clark from Land of the Dead. He was actually suited in character, contact lenses, teeth and all! I asked how much for a photo, and he says $30. I said, um, how about $15, and he took it!

The drive home was not as bad as the way down, and I beat what would be a torrential downpour that we’ve gotten every Friday and/or Saturday for the entire summer.

The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

ICW
Marked Out Master

Re: Greg's Monster Mania XL Report

Post by ICW » August 23rd, 2018, 12:04 pm

Good stuff. Billy Zane sounds odd.

I saw Pauly Shore's appearance on Joe Rogan's podcast and it's hard to not feel bad for him.
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

Joresky

Post by Joresky » August 23rd, 2018, 12:15 pm

Awesome photos and sigs!! Henry Thomas was also my number one name for the show, wasn't he a nice guy?

mikeyicon
Marked Out Pro

Post by mikeyicon » August 23rd, 2018, 3:21 pm

good catching up with you at the show. it was fun, pauly shore was a bit nicer but Billy Zane was a dick. enjoyed the report.

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » August 23rd, 2018, 3:26 pm

mikeyicon wrote:
August 23rd, 2018, 3:21 pm
good catching up with you at the show. it was fun, pauly shore was a bit nicer but Billy Zane was a dick. enjoyed the report.
Yes. I forgot to mention that the whole place was 90 degrees inside, really awful. I did mention to Zane he was lucky to be right under the AC, and he goes "oh, I didn't even notice that," and moved his table up to be near it, ha ha.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com